SpiceCredits ANH Stunt Build Thread [AP]

I'm having issues with my right side too. Russel2d2 has a solution in his thread that I'm going to try. I also was toying with an idea that involved some magnets and a bit of nylon webbing.....

I am also breaking to get some food!

Jim

• Like 1

Why doesn't it want to work? Lol I'm a little annoyed at it, but I also feel like I've seen some centurion passes with the same issue... May be wrong though. I still want it to set right for my own peace of mind, but I sorta feel like I'd be willing to let it slide. It's such a hassle. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

I have two double snapped nylon webbing there, plus a single snap elastic making the outer snap functional. They couldn't be any tighter and it still doesn't work. Idk. I really don't want to spend a thousand hours reworking it if it's going to just look that way. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

I really thought that would fix it. It's definitely better, but not perfect.

Edited by SpiceCredits

Ok, so I found some that have the same issue and they passed Centurion, so if worse comes to worse I can still pass with that and always continue to work on it. 

Funny thing is some guys don't have near the same support that mine does there and theirs sets perfectly. Ugh. lolol 

I wonder if a long strip of velcro along the inside seam would keep it secure?? Maybe have nylon webbing overlap the velcro? Has anyone seen this done?

Edited by SpiceCredits

This is what Russel2d2 uses: two snaps top and bottom and a "tab and slot" set up.

fde3bc9abffef4787adc62f760b3d34e.jpg

(Image from is his build thread, this isn't my armor....yet.)

This keeps them aligned and the snaps keeps it shut.

I'm doing this to the right side of mine tomorrow.

*added photo credit to russell2d2

Jim

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 1

How long are your double snap straps? I found that if the straps were too long then the result was there room for one of the sides to drop.

I had the plates sit as close to the edges as I could get them without them being seen in order to reduce the distance between kidney and ab plate. I think I got the straps down to a total length of 60-70mm if I remember correctly, which seemed to sort the issue out for me. I had my strap and plates positioned as close to the top and bottom of the kidney as I could get them.

I do like the added security of that abs slot method, very clever!

7266a07dd0ad64be5843a9b296059dba.jpg

• Like 1

This is what Russel2d2 uses: two snaps too and bottom and a "tab and slot" set up.

fde3bc9abffef4787adc62f760b3d34e.jpg.

This keeps them aligned and the snaps keeps it shut.

I'm doing this to the right side of mine tomorrow.

Jim

Nice! I'm going to remove my middle double snap and put one of these in its place, covering middle area also. That way I have double snap on bottom, slot in the middle, and top single snap. That way I don't have to remove all my snaps. Lol I'll be starting on this evening. Got a con to attend during the day!

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 1

How long are your double snap straps? I found that if the straps were too long then the result was there room for one of the sides to drop.

I had the plates sit as close to the edges as I could get them without them being seen in order to reduce the distance between kidney and ab plate. I think I got the straps down to a total length of 60-70mm if I remember correctly, which seemed to sort the issue out for me. I had my strap and plates positioned as close to the top and bottom of the kidney as I could get them.

Yup. That's what I did too, and it's still wonky. Weird how it works for some an not others. Lol mine are right at the edge as close as they can go. Maybe 3-4mm or so from the edge. Still nada. Lol I'm definitely doing the slot later today.

I like your double, double snap method too. How hard is it to get those fastened up though? I struggle a little with my single snap. This is why I was giving some thought to making this a magnet set up similar to what you have pictured but super strong magnets to hold the sides together along with two snaps top and bottom.

Jim

• Like 1

Here's a quick sketch I for what I am thinking with the magnets. I'm at work but I had to get this down on paper so I don't lose my thoughts on this. Excuse the crudeness of my illustration.

5fc867ac7dc66e9d2618a5ac58413e54.jpg

Jim

• Like 2

I know when I tried my double double snap on it was a little tough to get them to snap, but I got it done. It's sort of a pain, but it's managable. I have small hands though, so it may have been easier for me to get in there and snap them. I started from the bottom one and moved up.

• Like 1

Here's a quick sketch I for what I am thinking with the magnets. I'm at work but I had to get this down on paper so I don't lose my thoughts on this. Excuse the crudeness of my illustration.

5fc867ac7dc66e9d2618a5ac58413e54.jpg

Jim

I'm curious to how well that will work! Are you thinking of doing that over the slot?

I'm going to try another time with the slot and see how that goes. I won't need to buy any extra materials, so it's worth the try to give it a shot first.

• Like 1

I'm thinking this instead of the slot. I'm going to do a test run before I glue anything in. I just want to see what kind of holding power the magnets have with the material in between before total commitment. I won't need the 20+ magnets I have after this build, I can sacrifice 4 if need be.

Jim

• Like 1

I'm thinking of bending the ends of the kidney plate in a little with hot water. It seems like the issue is just that the kidney is wider than the ab where they meet. If that can save me some rework then that would be awesome. I'm gonna pull them in slightly and see if that helps a little I think. Gonna sit on the idea for part of the day first.

• Like 1

After installing the strapping I'm now having a slight flare out on my posterior. Not quite as severe as yours was but I too am thinking of addressing that with a little hot water today.

Jim

• Like 1

I like your double, double snap method too. How hard is it to get those fastened up though? I struggle a little with my single snap. This is why I was giving some thought to making this a magnet set up similar to what you have pictured but super strong magnets to hold the sides together along with two snaps top and bottom.

Jim

Cheers, I haven't found it any more awkward when fastening up tbh.

The whole magnet connection sounds very interesting. The only thing, I can think of in terms of using this method is making sure that not only are they strong enough to hold everything in place, but also weak enough to pull apart. Knowing my luck I'd end up getting into my armour and then never being able to get out! Keep us posted on your progress!

• Like 3

My way worked out well and I'm not even using any elastic or snaps to hold everything together, however, I created two tabs on the rivet side and one large tab on the other. The side with two tabs holds tight and the one with one doesn't hold as tight since there is some wiggle room at the top. I may add an elastic near the top or change it out to a double tab eventually.

• Like 1

My way worked out well and I'm not even using any elastic or snaps to hold everything together, however, I created two tabs on the rivet side and one large tab on the other. The side with two tabs holds tight and the one with one doesn't hold as tight since there is some wiggle room at the top. I may add an elastic near the top or change it out to a double tab eventually.

Awesome! I'm gonna be doing this today. I like that you put two littler ones on the rivet side. I was thinking about adding the same thing last night. I'm gonna try it also now, plus the larger one on the right side. Thanks!!

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 1

I have my tab and slot cut out and measured. I have the slot ends drying right now also. Later this evening I'll be gluing both pieces to the ab and kideny respectively. The tab measures 3 ⅞ " and allows just enough room for the top elastic and a bottom. The slot allows for the tab to slide in tightly with 3/4" on either side to be glued to the ab. The slot will be glued to the kideny as it's the part that needs to be brought it. Wish me luck!! <br><br><br>

I'll be adding two to the rivet side tomorrow after I see how well this works on the right side.

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 1

Here's how my magnet set up turned out.

bbcdc1d4d8b3959e02da09bccc1124a9.jpg

22f1e6a50933df95c6b4a8371c061a5a.jpg

90f5b633edb3937a4cf0760a68571fcd.jpg

779c33f55aeef92821b8ff52d6525b39.jpg

It's not perfect but a cool feature of the magnets is when moving and bending they will pop apart but as soon as I stand up they come back together. This allows me a tiny bit more flexibility. The two elastic snaps keep everything together and the magnets make it look cleaner when standing up. I'm thinking of making a little ABS cover so you don't see the magnets like you do from the front photo pictured here.

Jim

• Like 3

So spice, how's the build coming? I wrapped up mine enough to submit for basic approval today. I'm anxious to see your photographic answer to this!

a1ddcd0ae0f4414e0ae788f339cdd396.jpg

(Had to resort to hand to hand because my blaster looks like this at the moment.)

03ab9cbb80af98af0e62f1b5e7a64931.jpg

(That's not even all the parts!)

Jim

• Like 4