SpiceCredits ANH Stunt Build Thread [AP]

I'm looking forward to finishing the belt so I can wear it to work Han Solo style! lol

Ahahahahaaaa! That would be epic. Take pictures.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I got my belt assembled, minus the holster, tonight! Right now the drop boxes and belt covers have been sealed and are drying over night. Tomorrow I will be attaching the holster and the belt to the ab plate.

I also hot water bathed the belt ABS to give it some curve. I think I'm starting to like bathing this ABS! :)

I'm also waiting on a Strapworks order of 2" webbing to redo the right-side ab/kidney seam.

IMG_4979_zpsqdf87bmo.jpg

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 3

I got my belt assembled, minus the holster, tonight! Right now the drop boxes and belt covers have been sealed and are drying over night. Tomorrow I will be attaching the holster and the belt to the ab plate.

I also hot water bathed the belt ABS to give it some curve. I think I'm starting to like bathing this ABS! :)

I'm also waiting on a Strapworks order of 2" webbing to redo the right-side ab/kidney seam.

IMG_4979_zpsqdf87bmo.jpg

How did you manage to get that belt in a pot of hot water? Looks most excellent by the way.

• Like 1

Thanks! I appreciate it! :) <br><br>

What I did was held both ends to give it a bend in the center. I had to bend a little more than needed to get it to fit. Once it immediately started to give and soften I widened the curve until the sides almost touched the pot and pulled it out right after. That all happens kinda quick. Once it was out I used both hands to shape it a little better and had cold water running behind me. I ran it through the cold water while keeping the shape I wanted. I repeated those steps for the left and right side to give it more of a "semi circle" shape. However, I didn't bend the sides as much when I dipped back into the hot water, so it wouldn't be too sharp a curve to shape before the cold water. Hope that makes some sense!

• Like 1

Making good progress! I used velcro where my drop boxes meet my belt to keep them from travelling. Not sure if you were planning on doing the same. It also makes the length of the elastic more forgiving since you can bring the boxes up a little so that they are touching the belt even if you made the elastic a bit long (which was the case for me).

• Like 1

Making good progress! I used velcro where my drop boxes meet my belt to keep them from travelling. Not sure if you were planning on doing the same. It also makes the length of the elastic more forgiving since you can bring the boxes up a little so that they are touching the belt even if you made the elastic a bit long (which was the case for me).

Thanks Luc! I actually have them measured to where they sit snug right up against the belt. There's no gap. I'll attach a pic later to show you. I'll definitely keep that in mind incase I need to end up doing that somehow though! That's a good idea! 

They also pretty much stay in place (lined to the far ends of the ABS belt), but I may add some velcro in between the elastic and canvas to keep them where they should be. I thought about gluing them, but I don't think I want to do that to the belt.

Also, my AP holster came with black strips that attach to the canvas belt. I'm wanting the tan ones instead and I'm trying to find somewhere that I can get some to replace the black ones. Can anyone assist me in finding the right strips? Is it tanned cowhide I need? Are there any possibly local shops I could just go pick some up at?

Would these work? I'm just not sure the color is right...
https://www.tandyleather.com/…/natural-cowhide-leather-stri…

Or is there a reasonably priced way to bleach or tan the black ones I have?? Is that a good idea?

Thanks!

Or is there a reasonably priced way to bleach or tan the black ones I have?? Is that a good idea?

Thanks!

Once leather is died it's that color indefinitely. You may be able to uses a flat fabric paint to emulate the natural color for a quick fix but your best bet wold be new straps. Check with your local Garrison as most have at least one person who makes holsters and they probably have scrap laying around they could turn into 2 straps for you.

You could also try SWExpress on Etsy. I didn't buy from them (a fellow Garrison member gave me a holster!) but when I asked some noob questions they were quick to respond and also have many good reviews. I would bet they would do a special listing and send you out some replacement straps.

Jim

• Like 1

There is a thread where someone sanded a layer off and had the natural hide showing. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• Like 2

There is a thread where someone sanded a layer off and had the natural hide showing. I'll see if I can dig it up.

It all depends on the process used to dye the leather if that will work. If the dye was applied by hand this absolutely could work. If it was commercially dyed it will be mostly through the whole hide. At this point it wouldn't hurt to try as it won't work "as is". Depending on how much length you have on the straps if you trimmed off about an 1/8" you'd be able to tell what you're working with by seeing the cross section.

Jim M.

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 1

Lookin good bud!  You've become quite the bath master.  So when you curved it in the pot, it didn't 'burn' or melt the edges?

What gloves are you using to put them in, grab them, etc?

• Like 1

Once leather is died it's that color indefinitely. You may be able to uses a flat fabric paint to emulate the natural color for a quick fix but your best bet wold be new straps. Check with your local Garrison as most have at least one person who makes holsters and they probably have scrap laying around they could turn into 2 straps for you.

You could also try SWExpress on Etsy. I didn't buy from them (a fellow Garrison member gave me a holster!) but when I asked some noob questions they were quick to respond and also have many good reviews. I would bet they would do a special listing and send you out some replacement straps.

Jim

Thanks! Yea, someone in my local garrison mentioned painting, but I don't think I would go that route. I wouldn't want the paint to rub off onto the armor either. Plus the real thing looks so much better. I'll probably end up going to a local Tandy this weekend to see what I can find. I just don't want to wait till then. lol

Awesome! Yes, please! I'll see if I can locate that too. Somehow I think it may not work with the leather I have, but it's definitely worth looking in to! Thanks a really good idea!

Here is a cut and paste. If it doesn't work look up maninthesuitcase anovos thread.

With a sanding drum (use a new one, the old one I was using took ages. Swapped to a new one took seconds) I thinned down the leather until I could get the needed clearance for the snap to crimp. The blue tape is a guide to stop be going too far down where you'd see it below the belt.

26450801866_7a647a003f_c.jpg

Theres not a huge amount crimped but the load isn't working on it in that direction so I am happy it will hold okay.

26203858020_103b47c6e5_c.jpg

I know it wasn't his primary reason but maybe it will work for you.

Edited by zv288bot
  • Like 1

Lookin good bud!  You've become quite the bath master.  So when you curved it in the pot, it didn't 'burn' or melt the edges?

What gloves are you using to put them in, grab them, etc?

I didn't burn the edges because I never let the ABS touch the pot itself. I didn't use gloves either (My middle name is danger). It wasn't necessary since I never touched the water, or got close, with my hands. I held each side and "folded" in the center to where it would fit down into the pot, and the same for the left and right side of the belt also. I didn't fold/bend the sides as much though...just enough to get the curve I needed.

Crappy drawing with visual explanation coming up.. one sec.

• Like 1

Ok, hopefully this helps. I'm at work and had to draw these fairly quickly, but it should help.

You'll want to shape it (using hands on both sides so the curve is consistent and not too sharp) a little better before you give it the cold water to make sure the shape is how you want it.

Also, do middle first to get your shape before doing the sides. I did middle, then left, then right using the same process for each turn.

It starts to bend in the hot water pretty quickly so be prepared.

IMG_4984_zpsgzq8p306.jpg

IMG_4985_zpssfsebrjl.jpg

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 2

Here is a cut and paste. If it doesn't work look up maninthesuitcase anovos thread.

With a sanding drum (use a new one, the old one I was using took ages. Swapped to a new one took seconds) I thinned down the leather until I could get the needed clearance for the snap to crimp. The blue tape is a guide to stop be going too far down where you'd see it below the belt.

26450801866_7a647a003f_c.jpg

Theres not a huge amount crimped but the load isn't working on it in that direction so I am happy it will hold okay.

26203858020_103b47c6e5_c.jpg

I know it wasn't his primary reason but maybe it will work for you.

Nice! Thanks!! I'll definitely give this a shot tonight! I'll be replacing the black straps anyway, so it's worth the try!

Did you keep the straps attached to the holster when doing it, or did you remove and put back on? <--- Nevermind. I just realized you copied and pasted the text also. :P

Edited by SpiceCredits
  • Like 2