Why I Became a Stormtrooper

I was inducted into the 501st Legion this past Tuesday (the day of The Force Awakens' home video release!), and it was the end result of a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. But I'm in.

I was mostly inspired to join based on Daniel Fleetwood's story - but there's way more to it than that. So much, in fact, that I actually made a video to talk about it in-depth.

For anyone interested in joining the 501st, I do have a few tips that I learned while I was in the process of joining.

1) RESEARCH. You can never research enough. Research, research, and research some more - and when you're sick and tired of researching, keep researching.

2) Never be afraid to ask for help. I had a LOT of questions, some of which I felt were stupid at the time, and many people (both in real life and here on FISD) were more than willing to answer them and help out in any way they could. There's a reason, after all, that the motto of this site is "Troopers helping troopers".

3) Meet members of the Legion. I was lucky enough to have a LOT of help from one member in particular of my squad; he hosted an armor party and helped me oversee finishing my bucket, then took another three nights in a row to get my strapping system all done. I felt bad at the time for having him focus on me so much, but he insisted (and I believe him) that he doesn't mind. The build process is half the fun - and besides, with more troopers in the Legion, there's more opportunity to make people happy with our charity work.

4) Be on the lookout for deals. I was on the wait list for an ATA armor kit, and that was an 11-month wait. Then I happened upon an AMAZING deal from someone else in the same Garrison as I am. He was selling a half-finished RS kit, complete with all Centurion specs, for less than half the price he bought it for. I jumped on the deal, and only needed to make some minor alterations to make it fit. All in all, I think I spent less than $1000 altogether on EVERYTHING I needed for my armor - between the armor itself and the tools to make it. The only thing that pushed me over was investing in a Hyperfirm E-11 instead of a kit, but that was something I planned from the beginning.

5) Centurion isn't that much harder. I know, it LOOKS harder, especially just by looking at the CRL. But I've made my armor to Centurion specifications (except the shoulder strapping; I didn't have white nylon at the time. I'll fix that later), and it wasn't much harder than just going for basic entry. It's DEFINITELY more time-consuming (especially painting the bucket instead of using stickers), but let me tell you, it just made the process that much more fun. Of course, if you don't WANT to go Centurion, feel free to do whatever you want. But if you're on the fence, let me just tell you that it's 100% worth it, and not that much more expensive or harder than basic entry level approval.

Anyway, I hope these tips help future troopers, and I also hope you guys enjoyed the video!

Edited by SkulShurtugalTCG
  • Like 13

Wow, Jack!  Gotta say that I am blown away by both your video and heartfelt post, sir.  A big CONGRATS on your approval, and I am sure you are going to be a true star in the Star Garrison.  Very glad to hear that you are aiming for Centurion, and if we can be of any help, just let us know.  Way to go, Trooper, and thanks for sharing!!

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome video Jack...  Just awesome. 

Thank you for sharing your story, and tighten up those shoulder bells!  ;)

Looking forward to welcoming you to the EIB and Centurion ranks in the near future!

Amazing video, Jack!  I finally got around to watching this.  It was a pleasure to finally troop with you as well!  Looking forward to many more in the near buttpla....I mean future :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great video.  Thanks for making this, as a refresher for a lot of members like me, that we've joined for a reason, and we did in a similar fashion.

Now, where's the "LIKE" button for this post here..?

Brilliant story and video Jack! Rest assured I'll be sharing this video all over! I think you really managed to capture and relay to viewers what "Bad Guys Doing Good" means and what it is to be a Stormtrooper.