Ask a foreigner a question

Airborne Trooper

Being a member of this great organization and surrounded by members from all over the world, I find it amazing that I learn something new about people's culture and way of life all the time. This is a thread to ask questions that you may be curious about. 

• Like 1

My wife is obsessed with watching these home remodel shows. One of the ones she was binge watching this weekend is called Love It or List It. They don't really say where they are but its easy to tell that the majority of the episodes are based in Canada. One of the things we were shocked to find out that most of the homes they were looking at were all over a million dollars Canadian. Is that the average cost of a house in Canada? I know that a million in Canada is different than here in the US but I don't think the exchange is that different. The crazy thing is the houses weren't even that big. 

I want to know what love is and I want you to show me!

:lol:

Hello? Is it me you're looking for?

1,000,000 Canadian Dollars equals 723,451.51 US- Dollars ...

What's the average price of an american house and where would that be?

Average house in Florida: 145,000 to 175,000 US$

Location is a big factor in housing. $723,000 would buy a large house in the majority of the US. Easily a 4 bedroom house with a master bath and 2 or 3 other bathrooms, 2 car garage, well over 2,000 square feet. 

My wife is obsessed with watching these home remodel shows. One of the ones she was binge watching this weekend is called Love It or List It. They don't really say where they are but its easy to tell that the majority of the episodes are based in Canada. One of the things we were shocked to find out that most of the homes they were looking at were all over a million dollars Canadian. Is that the average cost of a house in Canada? I know that a million in Canada is different than here in the US but I don't think the exchange is that different. The crazy thing is the houses weren't even that big. 

most of the time these shows feature houses in Toronto or Vancouver. These are the two most expensive cities to buy a house. To live in a decent neighbourhood and have anything other than a shoebox, you are gonna easily pay $1M to be downtown. I live at the top of the main subway line in Toronto and I can tell you that houses in my area sell for $800+, generally are from the 50s-60s and need at least $100K of rework to modernize and update. They so very often get purchased,  torn down and new ones built on top, turning them into $1.5M+ houses. The market is just ridiculous.  

My wife is obsessed with these shows as well. At first I thought it 2as die to our remodeling our own home, but now I think it's something else. She has 3 shows she binge watches. It drives me crazy because she us forever changing her mind about remodel projects I am currently working in our house. <br>

As for local market, here in Colorado, the average house us between 200 and 300 thousand and then there is the high end which I don't even want to think about.

Does anyone have easy access to these Kinder Surprise eggs? I know they are banned in America for sale because dumb parents not watching their kids play/eat these and is a choking hazard. My 2 year old is OBSESSED with watching these youtube videos and since Easter is coming up soon I'd like to get my kids some. 

Does anyone have easy access to these Kinder Surprise eggs? I know they are banned in America for sale because dumb parents not watching their kids play/eat these and is a choking hazard. My 2 year old is OBSESSED with watching these youtube videos and since Easter is coming up soon I'd like to get my kids some. 

My 3 year old is also obsessed with those videos! He's happy enough with regular plastic easter eggs that I put random toys into, then he'll open them all up and pretend to be surprised.

Not to be a spoil sport but just to let you know bringing/shipping a kinder surprise into the US is a 500$ fine IIRC.....USCBP is super anal about them for some reason.

Also that 1 Mil price tag is really only in Van and Torotno (as previousely mentioned.) Ie) This fine example. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-19/remember-vancouver-teardown-shack-it-just-sold-25-million-80000-over-asking

Where I live, it's substantially cheaper, and it's a vacation spot. In fact due to the dollar difference a lot of people in Spokane WA have vacation places here.

Edited by Jinsei

Here's a question for our Ausie brothers and sisters... So I always see things on Facebook about how you should always flush your toilet before using it in Australia because spiders like to hide in them, some of the world's most poisonous snakes live in Australia, basically every wild life in Australia is trying to kill humans lol. Is it really that dangerous there?

I share every video of ruffian kangaroos fighting in the Australian streets that I can find on Facebook and tag a certain someone who,hangs out here. He assures me that they're not in his neighborhood. Repeatedly.<br><br>

As for a question, since I've been all around the planet, I've come to find that pizza toppings differ very greatly in different countries, so... That's the question: what are the popular or common pizza toppings in your country?

I see on average about 6 snakes a week in my travels mostly carpet snakes and green tree snake which are harmless but I do see the odd eastern brown snake which kill you dead pretty quick. Its also considered the worlds 2nd most venomous land based snake. Not far from where I live we have also had quite a few fatal and non fatal shark attacks plus record sightings of large(5m+)great white sharks . Then yes you have spiders that you never see but you know are hiding somewhere ready to scare the crap out of you when you least expect it !!!

• Like 1

About Australia and its animals: last summer I went to Lisboa where I met girls who told me where they came from....well, I understood Australia instead of Austria, so I started to say "ohhhhh the land of kangaroos and koalas........".......well, nope...not so far from my country as Australia........LOL :56pullhair: :56pullhair: :56pullhair: :56pullhair:

• Like 1

I see on average about 6 snakes a week in my travels mostly carpet snakes and green tree snake which are harmless but I do see the odd eastern brown snake which kill you dead pretty quick. Its also considered the worlds 2nd most venomous land based snake. Not far from where I live we have also had quite a few fatal and non fatal shark attacks plus record sightings of large(5m+)great white sharks . Then yes you have spiders that you never see but you know are hiding somewhere ready to scare the crap out of you when you least expect it !!!

Every Summer we hear about the shark attacks down under. I won't go in water that I can't see my feet and at the beach I only go about chest deep. Yep, I'm a wuss.