T K's ANOVOS Stunt Build

The time has come for me to start a build thread, as I would love some guidance and pointers along the way.

This will be my first Stormtrooper build, so I am a bit nervous. I honestly did not expect to be working on a costume at all until I had at least been a few years in college when I had the funds to jump into this not so cheap hobby. But, at the Salt Lake City comic con last September I stopped by the 501st panel. There I heard that there was a company at the con selling Stormtrooper kits, so naturally I went to go look, yet fully expecting the normal prices of kits which I couldn't afford (being a high school senior), but no! The kits were only $550! I knew I had to jump on this opportunity. So here I am, with a kit ready to be built. :)

As of now I have all these pieces sitting in my makeshift work space in the basement.

IMG_5674_zps1odjpuew.jpg

More to follow!

Edited by T K

All righty! So I have taken everything out of the interior of the helmet to reinstall the lens/mesh better and to be painted black with plastidip.

IMG_5676_zps34ugpoyn.jpg

I also plan on getting helmet padding to use instead of the hardhat doodad that came with it originally. And I picked up the lovely hovi mic tips with speakers from Tony to install into my helmet. (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31436-fs-ukswraths-hovi-mic-tips-with-speakers-crl-accurate-tips/)

IMG_5675_zpshrirdmyl.jpg

I have this upcoming Monday and Tuesday off from school so I hope to get lot more done.

The Helmet! So I'm not completely finished with it yet as I have no padding, but this is what I did so far...

IMG_5683_zpsnkxmryzf.jpg

First I put Velcro on the back of the iComm and amp for mounting.

IMG_5689_zpsozwz3ttz.jpg

Then I laid a strip of Velcro on the inner side of the helmet at the back for mounting.

IMG_5693_zpswlo084ck.jpg

I was a bit worried about the balance on the helmet so I tried balancing it with a short stick.

IMG_5694_zpsysxyasrw.jpg

Looks good! And when I get the padding installed it will fit better to my head and not bobble as much.

Next was to work on the lens. That lens that came with the kit is pretty good, but the way it was connected there was a large gap on both eyes. I wanted that removed.

IMG_5695_zpsr6ofmxi1.jpg

So I cut it in half...

IMG_5696_zps6wn4vw4v.jpg

And then cut down even more to fit just over the eyes.

Next was to paint the inside black, so after a wipe on the inside to get dust and whatnot out I masked the helmet to prevent over spray.

IMG_5703_zps2mlflmcq.jpg

Then...

IMG_5704_zpsdsvoerle.jpg

It surely ain't the most lovely thing to behold but that's all right. :)

Then I installed the new hovi mic tips. I personally think these look much better than the ones that came with the kit.

IMG_5708_zps1nmq826u.jpg

As of now it looks like this.

IMG_5709_zpsn5dpr0mm.jpg

I'm not 100% sure where to conceal the wires yet, I'll wait till I get my padding.

That's all for now!

Edited by T K

Nice idea using a velcro strip for mounting stuff, it looks really clean. I'm saving the helmet for last to see how others do theirs so I can steal ideas. :)

Yeah, I thought of using Velcro so that when I get other costumes I can just use the same system.

• Like 1

Quick question for yah folks. On the both forearms should I cut away the plastic so there is only 7.5 mm left from the return edge? I've been very confused, which means it probably is really easy, but I'd like to make sure I am doing it correctly before I cut.

IMG_5716_zpsje99ojmn.jpg

The ruler kept sliding while I was trying to take the shot.. But you get the idea. And on the other side on the forearm, no the front, do I just cut it to my arm size?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Reading how tos about this I'm afraid I still don't quite understand... If I can't figure it out I'll try to find someone nearby, but I kinda live out in the boonies. <br>

Hopefully someone will see this? Kinda scared about cutting the plastic. (As a senior saving for college this was quite the purchase)

In case you haven't progressed yet:

Yes, unless you have massive arms, trim it down to 7.5mm on each side, so you end up with 15mm across when the two halves join, which just so happens to be the width of the cover strip for that part.

• Like 1

In case you haven't progressed yet:

Yes, unless you have massive arms, trim it down to 7.5mm on each side, so you end up with 15mm across when the two halves join, which just so happens to be the width of the cover strip for that part.

Thank you! That makes sense.

Naturally, I'm only referring to the front/top edges, with the really defined return edge on each half. The other side of the armor (bottom/back) should be adjusted for size (within reason, don't make it too small even if you have really slender arms!), not for a return edge measurement.

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

Naturally, I'm only referring to the front/top edges, with the really defined return edge on each half. The other side of the armor (bottom/back) should be adjusted for size (within reason, don't make it too small even if you have really slender arms!), not for a return edge measurement.

Good to know! I'll work on my suit this upcoming week. And thank you again for the advice! :)

IMG_5729_zpsygdndm4q.jpg

As you can see, I have very skinny arms. Therefore there is a huge gap in both the bicep and...

IMG_5725_zpsntluh8z2.jpg

...the forearm. How much of a gap should there be on these pieces? And on the biceps does it matter where I take plastic off? Like the front or back? I'd imagine both evenly, but I want to check before I cut. Thanks!

So today I found out I have a deadline to finish my armor. Originally it was before I went to college, which is in June, but no. I need to get it finished by the end of March.

• 2 weeks later...

Get some sticky back industrial velcro. You'll need the hook portion on the bucket. The pads will stick them them by themselves, at least that's how we did them in the Army. I use to change out my ACH pads at least once a year cause they got so gross and worn out. 

• Like 1

Get some sticky back industrial velcro. You'll need the hook portion on the bucket. The pads will stick them them by themselves, at least that's how we did them in the Army. I use to change out my ACH pads at least once a year cause they got so gross and worn out. 

Thanks! That works perfectly!

Padding_zpsepyj94py.jpg

• Like 1