Ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build (stunt)

ukswrath

Another quik question...<br>

The backs of the shins.<br>

Is the cover strip side supposed to overlap the other side, or should the two sides butt up against each other?<br>

And I don't mean just the cover strip.<br>

I know that overlaps to cover the seam.<br>

I mean the whole thing overlapping to create a tight fit.<br>

Robert

Is the cover strip side supposed to overlap the other side, or should the two sides butt up against each other?<br>

Robert

Imagine the calves like any other two sided armor section, with the exception the outer is the only side you glue the cover strips to. The inner will get velcro or hooks if you choose to go that route.

Robert

Someone posted this graphic which helps make it even more clear than Tony's description:

20160502145755-fc199713.jpg

Note you generally want the scratchy hook side of the Velcro attached to the armor, so when you pull it open to put it on, the hooks are away from your leg and don't snag your undergarment. The soft loop side, which faces in, on the inside of the cover strip, is then the only part you'll rub across your leg as you put it on.

Edited by kman
  • Like 5

Someone posted this graphic which helps make it even more clear than Tony's description:

Note you generally want the scratchy hook side of the Velcro attached to the armor, so when you pull it open to put it on, the hooks are away from your leg and don't snag your undergarment. The soft loop side, which faces in, on the inside of the cover strip, is then the only part you'll rub across your leg as you put it on.

Another cool illustration for my arsenal.

• Like 2

Hi Tony!

I'm about to get started on the shins and I put them together with tape prior to making any cuts to make sure they were matched correctly. They kinda overlap a bit weird because I have yet to cut the excess off but I just wanted to make sure I had the right parts together. Here's a pic :

20160501_145623.jpg

20160501_145752.jpg

What do you think?

Also, when marking the excess, I've realized that using a steel ruler, it's hard to get a consistent 10 mm flat edge all across the shin. Am I correct in assuming that you should kinda even it out, as long as you have no less than 10 mm anywhere?

Edited by =Sv3=

Hey David these appear to be correct. As you trim try to align the halves a parallel as possible. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close.

What are the advantages and disadvantages you have experienced for bra hooks vs velcro?

Advantages - Screen accurate

Disadvantages - Can be a chore to assemble and disassemble 

Good to know, are both equally sturdy? And on a different subject, what is the easiest part of the armor to match seams and apply cover strips?

Both are equally sturdy yes.

IMO, thighs and forearms. They're the shortest so easier to handle during assembly.

Hey David these appear to be correct. As you trim try to align the halves a parallel as possible. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close.

Thank you good sir!

I've been sitting on this for a few days but I'll get back to building now :)

Hey Tony, thanks for the awesome thread and all the advice you have given.  Have a question about your Hovi mic tips and the Anovos helmet, as I am considering purchasing some.  When I was upgrading the stock mic tips I noted the helmet is PAPER THIN where they attach.  Did you reinforce the area at all, or view this as a problem when you installed your speaker tips on this helmet? Cheers Dave 

Hey Tony, thanks for the awesome thread and all the advice you have given.  Have a question about your Hovi mic tips and the Anovos helmet, as I am considering purchasing some.  When I was upgrading the stock mic tips I noted the helmet is PAPER THIN where they attach.  Did you reinforce the area at all, or view this as a problem when you installed your speaker tips on this helmet? Cheers Dave 

My pleasure.

I personally didn't have to, the area in question is of adequate thickness. You can either reinforce the area with modeling putty as Kai is suggesting or glue some scrap abs to the inside of the helmet prior to installing the new Hovis. 

I reinforced the area with miliput;-)

:duim:

Thank you good sir!

I've been sitting on this for a few days but I'll get back to building now :)

I agree, they are correct. In the top photo, they are correctly laid out: The one on the left of the photo goes on the right leg, and the one on the right of the photo goes on the left. (as is appropriate since we're viewing from the front) In the second photo, viewing from the back, they're backwards, because you just spun them in place for the picture.

I agree, they are correct. In the top photo, they are correctly laid out: The one on the left of the photo goes on the right leg, and the one on the right of the photo goes on the left. (as is appropriate since we're viewing from the front) In the second photo, viewing from the back, they're backwards, because you just spun them in place for the picture.

Thanks Kalani! You are correct, I spun them around a bit hastily, took a picture and I didn't think twice about which was left or right.

I have to say, documenting a build takes almost as long as the building itself!

Edited by =Sv3=
  • Like 1

In an attempt to save funds, How many  Inner strapping Line 24 snaps do we actually need? 

Buy the 100 pack if you're doing double snap strips (two per location, recommended by many), definitely. You won't need quite that many (around 80, depending on exactly how you do it), but it's cheaper than buying multiple smaller kits, and it's VERY likely you will mess up on a number of them, so spares are important. Edited by kman
  • Like 3

Buy the 100 pack if you're doing double snap strips (two per location, recommended by many), definitely. You won't need quite that many (around 80, depending on exactly how you do it), but it's cheaper than buying multiple smaller kits, and it's VERY likely you will mess up on a number of them, so spares are important.

Perfect, thank you.

What is the consensus of snaps vs brackets? what I seem to hear on the forums is that brackets are more accurate but snaps are less likely to cause wear over time.

Preference. Brackets are screen accurate but snaps allow you to break down your armor better for transportation and storage. Both are accepted at all levels of approval.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you go with snaps buy them from Tandy Leather.   Don't get the cheap Dritz stuff from walmart or the corner store. They are junk.... I had some get mixed in with my tandy stuff and I am having to re-build some strap anchor locations.     What a pain.  Tandy also has several very nice snap setting tools, they are longer and have knurled handles.

Edited by LostinNV

Hey Tony,

I'm getting some strange behavior from the backs of my thigh pieces.  I fitted and glued the fronts first, then as suggested I glued one half of the cover strip to one side of the back of the thigh piece, let cure, then I glued the other half using a healthy amount of E-6000, magnets, clamps and tape.

Here's the massive amount of tape I used:

IMG_3177.jpg

After leaving the piece in this position for 2 whole days, I still didn't get a 'flat' cover strip:

IMG_3174.jpg

I have a couple of times with good success used the 'freezer' method to remove the cover strip, clean and re-do.  In this case though, in your opinion, do you think I could get away with filling in that gap with CA glue and holding it until it sets?

Thank you so much!

Chris

The clamping force may be the key here. The tighter the circumference the more difficult it will be to align the two halves. I would suggest reapplying the strip and this time in addition to the clamps and magnets place something of weight on top of it, maybe like a heavy book. This should force the armor inward and together. 

Hope this helps