Alternative to E6000

Hey there,

Im going to build my first doopy's E11 kit soon. I wanted to go to the DIY warehouse to buy some little things before I can start, but I saw that it is not possible to buy E6000 glue in the DIY warehouses in Germany. Before I order online and pay shipping costs and so on I thought its good to ask if there is a alternative to it. Maybe someone has made expierences with that and can help me :)

Thanks in advance!

Jens

Hi Jens, you are mentioning a "doopy's" kit. For glueing resin to resin you best use CA glue.

In case you build a pipe kit and need to glue your resin parts to other plastics or metal, look for a universal glue and check for the specifications you will need.

I completed my first Doopy Doo's full resin build with less than 1ml CA glue. Just be sure to sand for smal gaps between the parts. Hope this helps :)

Edited by T-Jay

If using CA glue, it is helpful to get the insta-set that is available. One drop on your glue application will instantly harden it and keep it from running. IT also sets the parts instantly making moving on to your next part that much quicker.

I see, thanks for your advise!

But isnt it a bad idea for my first time making an E-11 to use CA glue? I mean, I cant correct anything, and it is likely that I dont put everything perfectly in the right place, since its my first time?

Edited by greyfox

Hi T-Jay,

yes this helped a lot, thanks!

Its the full resin kit. So just to be clear, I need to go for a normal "Sekundenkleber" I can achieve in every DIY workshop or even supermarket? :)

Yep, "Sekundenkleber" is fine. Don't worry about corrections. Do a good research first. This here might help...

I see, thanks for your advise!

But isnt it a bad idea for my first time making an E-11 to use CA glue? I mean, I cant correct anything, and it is likely that I dont put everything perfectly in the right place, since its my first time? (sounds weird but im still on topic)

I like that option. I use a 2 part epoxy resin, so I have plenty of time to slide the piece around, get in in the right position. Downside is that you need to tape the piece and wait a long time for it to set before moving onto the next part.

I'm not sure if it's available there, Jens, but CA glue is also made in a gel form, which gives you a bit more working time before it sets permanently.  Liek Steve (Gazmosis) mentioned there are a few spray products that you can use to instantly set it once you get the pieces in place, such as insta set or Zip-Kicker.

You could just get some Slow Zap or other slow setting CA Glue, they are available in most Scale Modeling or Wargaming stores.

Or use some fast setting 2 part epoxy, that gives you 2-3 minutes to re-set (Pattex has a good one, but you need to use it quickly)

I just tried devcon 2 part epoxy on my doopy...seemed to work great and set fast. After about 12 hours it simply broke apart with a small amount of pressure and wiggling. It didn't create a bond just hard set and broke away from both peices even with scoring. Am going to have to grind it all down again and will try e6000. And yes it was fresh and well mixed before use. So just an fyi for everyone.

Yup all the above. Even tried mixing larger amounts thinking the epoxy wasn't balanced. Same outcome. On all peices some deep gouges as rough and some fine scratches. Even my pins pulled out with just a little twitching. It just didn't bond for me. Throwing it out there for everyone try it if you want I did a lot of research and chose it for the quick set time since patience isn't one of my strong points. But I hate doing things twice even more. E6000 seems the go to and I will just have to do the long wait for it to set.

Sometimes a batch of resin hasn´t mixed properly and "oozes" a long time, sometimes forever. 

CA needs tigh fitting, as it is gives a strong bond, but is also bad at getting sideway forces (one of the reasons for using pins for attaching parts, the pins shall take the sideway force from the glue).

Epoxy is better for that, but it also snaps simetimes if not good reinforced. Additional mechanical reinforcement should be applied if possible.

Yeah I pinned everything. What I noticed is that it didn't bond with the doopy..just hardened. I had very high hopes at the initial results. But this morning It all just crackled and came apart with a some pressure. Which is not acceptable to me. This is just my experience so far. I have the mag receiver glued and screwed in and I haven't checked that yet without the screw. Resin will ooze because it wasn't mixed well enough to be activated.

Yeah I pinned everything. What I noticed is that it didn't bond with the doopy..just hardened. I had very high hopes at the initial results. But this morning It all just crackled and came apart with a some pressure. Which is not acceptable to me. This is just my experience so far. I have the mag receiver glued and screwed in and I haven't checked that yet without the screw. Resin will ooze because it wasn't mixed well enough to be activated.

I pinned every parts, drilled holes in the barrel, filled them with green stuff, put CA glue and joined them together... The pins are stuck in there now that the green stuff has cured and the CA glue is the icing on the cake. Tough as nails!!!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...