Pyrates AP Build and Journey to The 501st

So this is where my conflict of interest comes into play.

While I believe in being 100% accurate as possible on the outside my mechanical side wants to kick in gear for the inside. My reason why is due to the reality that the internal brackets used were meant for screen use and only to be worn for short periods.

From my understanding of the stories out there trooping is no less than an hour at a time. Because I'm a burly individual and not as nimble as I used to be I need to use snap plates. I know with my "ogre-ish" disposition I would be snapping plastic and brackets in seconds.

As for the decision on Velcro or hooks on my calves I can't say yet. The extra brownie points may pay off - however I'm torn as hooks can bust and Velcro is visible. I'm kinda leaning towards the hooks

Hmm...choices, choices, choices...

What are your trooping experiences out there between hooks and Velcro?

My shins are closed with Velcro, and I've got the shiny red badge. Hope that helps. (:

Thanks greatly mate - I really appreciate it!

Velcro just seems to make more sense for trooping

I've got the original strapping in my kit, and most of my troops are 4 hours long or so... Really haven't had a problem with them.  Well, ok, I've had exactly two problems with them, that happened within a single troop of putting them together, where the plastic right next to one of the screw holes cracked along the return edge.  I put in a little shim with some E-6000 there, and no problems since.  (:  I'm not exactly a screen-accurate individual either.

Now, my next kit will be using snap plates, but that's for completely different reasons!

The Velcro holding the shins together isn't visible except from a single angle if you do it right.  The outside is still covered with a cover strip, and you can keep the Velcro on an inside strip, so that when the sides are joined up (assuming they're trimmed properly) it keeps it all out of sight.

Of course, it's all up to you, but you did ask for opinions!

• Like 1

I've got the original strapping in my kit, and most of my troops are 4 hours long or so... Really haven't had a problem with them. Well, ok, I've had exactly two problems with them, that happened within a single troop of putting them together, where the plastic right next to one of the screw holes cracked along the return edge. I put in a little shim with some E-6000 there, and no problems since. (: I'm not exactly a screen-accurate individual either.

Now, my next kit will be using snap plates, but that's for completely different reasons!

The Velcro holding the shins together isn't visible except from a single angle if you do it right. The outside is still covered with a cover strip, and you can keep the Velcro on an inside strip, so that when the sides are joined up (assuming they're trimmed properly) it keeps it all out of sight.

Of course, it's all up to you, but you did ask for opinions!

I really appreciate it to no end - I would be lost if I didn't have my vetted troopers helping

While I believe in being 100% accurate as possible on the outside my mechanical side wants to kick in gear for the inside. My reason why is due to the reality that the internal brackets used were meant for screen use and only to be worn for short periods.

From my understanding of the stories out there trooping is no less than an hour at a time. Because I'm a burly individual and not as nimble as I used to be I need to use snap plates. I know with my "ogre-ish" disposition I would be snapping plastic and brackets in seconds.

As for the decision on Velcro or hooks on my calves I can't say yet. The extra brownie points may pay off - however I'm torn as hooks can bust and Velcro is visible. I'm kinda leaning towards the hooks

For closing thighs, shins, forearms, and biceps I have Velcro... I use snaps for shoulder bells, and a snap for the biceps to attach to bells. Bells snap to bridges. As to the ab and kidney plate, butt plate is held to kidney by Velcro, snap between cod and butt. I use 4 snaps to hold 4 pieces of strapping, this crosses over in back, and is a suspender system to hold ab/kidney in place. Then I attach back and chest... for thighs I use a garter system, but they too are held by snaps. I use Velcro at sides of an/kidney to keep closed.

Some troops may be an hour, but most are for 4 I've found... Depends on how long you wish to stay in armour for, I think...

Edited by TK 2759
  • Like 1

For closing thighs, shins, forearms, and biceps I have Velcro... I use snaps for shoulder bells, and a snap for the biceps to attach to bells. Bells snap to bridges. As to the ab and kidney plate, butt plate is held to kidney by Velcro, snap between cod and butt. I use 4 snaps to hold 4 pieces of strapping, this crosses over in back, and is a suspender system to hold ab/kidney in place. Then I attach back and chest... for thighs I use a garter system, but they too are held by snaps. I use Velcro at sides of an/kidney to keep closed.

Some troops may be an hour, but most are for 4 I've found... Depends on how long you wish to stay in armour for, I think...

Cheers Dan!

• Like 1

If you think your debacle is bad, for Level 2 sandtroopers (Police Officer), you have to have the bolts showing for the original strapping method. They don't have to be functional but have to be there. I use some black velcro along the butt and kidney on my armor to keep them aligned and to assist my snaps. Nothing internal wise will hinder your approval, it's more important to make sure everything is there and fits you correctly. 

• Like 2

When I first built my armour, I went with hooks...as I didn't like the idea of potentially having the Velcro show & not getting a nice seam. They didn't even make it to my first official troop. lol I quickly realized that they were a bit of a pain & Velcro was so much easier.

Now that I have been trooping for 2 years, I am all about the doing what makes things easier for me. As you gain experience, you find out what works and what doesn't. You can always go back and modify your set up to better suit your needs.

I am not a fan of Velcro, but it can be useful & has it's place.

• Like 3

When I first built my armour, I went with hooks...as I didn't like the idea of potentially having the Velcro show & not getting a nice seam. They didn't even make it to my first official troop. lol I quickly realized that they were a bit of a pain & Velcro was so much easier.

Now that I have been trooping for 2 years, I am all about the doing what makes things easier for me. As you gain experience, you find out what works and what doesn't. You can always go back and modify your set up to better suit your needs.

I am not a fan of Velcro, but it can be useful & has it's place.

I appreciate it Peter thank-you

• Like 2

Okay, so after some priceless help over the days I have come to recognize some denial... I'm a big guy and sizing your armor is not a easy as it looks.

The good news is at least I'm not a little short to be a Stormtrooper - but I'll definitely be the Stormtrooper that smokes his head on the door

I've started looking into the other taller trooper threads to help act as a guide.

Darth Aloha's RT-MOD ANH Stunt Build[*RT]

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/16995-Darth-Aloha%27s-RT-MOD-ANH-Stunt-Build%5B%2ART%5D

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Okay, so after some priceless help over the days I have come to recognize some denial... I'm a big guy and sizing your armor is not a easy as it looks.

The good news is at least I'm not a little short to be a Stormtrooper - but I'll definitely be the Stormtrooper that smokes his head on the door

I've started looking into the other taller trooper threads to help act as a guide.

Darth Aloha's RT-MOD ANH Stunt Build[*RT]http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/16995-Darth-Aloha's-RT-MOD-ANH-Stunt-Build[*RT]

I'm with you on the knocking bucket on door thing... I'm 6'1" but don't have AP armour... Try a test fit with calves, thighs, an and butt plate, with the help of your Imperial Quartermaster?
  • Like 1

I'm with you on the knocking bucket on door thing... I'm 6'1" but don't have AP armour... Try a test fit with calves, thighs, an and butt plate, with the help of your Imperial Quartermaster?

Brilliant!

Time for a morale boost - I believe this is fitting of the occasion I'm so stoked to get home and get back work - I'll admit that sizing my stuff was the first time I've felt a little discouraged so I owe a debt of gratitude to Dan, Josh, and Tony for helping me back up when I felt knocked down - many thanks gents

Now let's rock!

http://youtu.be/qQYpF2pCkLI

• Like 3

Quick update: As luck would have it there is an Armor Party tomorrow which will be a perfect time to get some help sizing.

Peter you were right - I was wrong - the sanding is never ending and finishing touches have been taking a while.

I have started cover strips on the forearms and have E-6000 drying as we speak.

• Like 3

Quick update: As luck would have it there is an Armor Party tomorrow which will be a perfect time to get some help sizing.

Peter you were right - I was wrong - the sanding is never ending and finishing touches have been taking a while.

That's awesome! Hope all goes well, and you learn a lot!
  • Like 2

Haha! Eventually there comes a time when you realize "enough is enough". ;) Have fun at the armour party; shame I can't attend. The Calgary crew will be happy to help with sizing.

• Like 2

I was able to head to an armor party this past weekend. It was great, I was able to get all my parts sized, it's pretty much just gluing and strapping I need to do...The sort of sad thing is, all of the "extra" material Mark added I ended up trimming off. We were joking about the fact that I didn't need the Kidney piece as the additions to the ab plate could almost wrap around me completely . . .

• Like 3

Haha! Eventually there comes a time when you realize "enough is enough". ;) Have fun at the armour party; shame I can't attend. The Calgary crew will be happy to help with sizing.

Doh - I was hoping to pay that beverage I owe you - next time mate!

• Like 1