MR CE helmet overhaul

Thanks! I'm looking forward to starting it!!

Buying supplies this week (while we're in Missouri) and then (lw/ia) starting on it the next... after July 5th.

I'm half way considering not even thinning the ears now... just to save THAT step. But, I think I would be much happier with them thinner... especially from the front side. (I will go back and forth on this decision 100x before I start... that's how I do things.) haha Obviously, if I do thin them, I will use Steve's tutorial.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say thin the ears. Doesn't look as nice as Luis', but makes all the difference. I did everything without having to disassembly the bucket. Cutting the brow was a little slow, but use a steel ruler underneath the lip and cut carefully. Outside of that, everything else is a breeze.

Good luck..

Cheers..

DD.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started my MR CE mod. Instead of posting on here during the process I will be posting on my website... that way we'll have a full step-by-step tutorial.

I'm planning on doing all that Luis did (thanks again Luis) as well as possibly adding the "eye bump".

Enjoy!

How do you get the areators out?

I use a dremel tool with a small sanding drum and begin to widen the hole behind the areators. Do this carefully and a little at a time. You can see inside the screens while you work and tell how much plastic you are removing. Occasionally wiggle the areators to see if they becoming loose. Soon they will snap off leaving a lip where you can reinstall them or use other, more accurate tips (I highly recommend Stompers').

Luis.

I use a dremel tool with a small sanding drum and begin to widen the hole behind the areators. Do this carefully and a little at a time. You can see inside the screens while you work and tell how much plastic you are removing. Occasionally wiggle the areators to see if they becoming loose. Soon they will snap off leaving a lip where you can reinstall them or use other, more accurate tips (I highly recommend Stompers').

Luis.

Yes, that is what I will be installing... my new two tones I got from Stomper. B)

I just wanted to make sure I do it right. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I don't mean to revive a semi-dead topic, but where do you guys get your frown mesh and how do you install it?

I used some rubber window screen and super glued it in, but it looks horrible (It dried whiteish).

Thats your problem you used super glue. I have always installed my mesh with hot glue and and have not had problems in any of my helmets. Hope this helps.

I don't mean to revive a semi-dead topic, but where do you guys get your frown mesh and how do you install it?

I used some rubber window screen and super glued it in, but it looks horrible (It dried whiteish).

Or you can use shoe goo which is the best method because they bond to plastic very good than hot glue. Hot glue easily peel off. Either of those method will not dry up into whiteish. ;)

I was just wondering, when reassembling the helmet, do you glue the front and back together (if so, in what fashion?), or do the screws on the sides do the job?

Same with the dome, how did you glue/attach it again?

Another thing, I can't find anything resembling MMD putty in Norway, and have yet to find anyone selling this on the web that will ship internationally. What I have found though, is some sort of polyester compound that is used to repair boats. Anyone know if that might work?

If someone is willing to buy and ship MMD putty, just PM me, and I'll PP at once:)

EDIT: I saw a shop that sells Testors putty for plastic? Would that be the way to go? (Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get this right:)

I was just wondering, when reassembling the helmet, do you glue the front and back together (if so, in what fashion?), or do the screws on the sides do the job?

Same with the dome, how did you glue/attach it again?

The screws pretty much hold it... though I ran a bead of super glue on the inside of the seam too.

Also used super glue a little in the dome. But that's your choice.

Does this place ship international?

They're the place that makes MMD Putty.

They say they do, so I tried placing an order, we'll see what happens.

I think the problem with shipping products like this is because of the chemicals in it or something.

Bought the Testors-one that I found as well, so we'll see how this goes. :)

I bought window screen but I thought it was a bit harsh and I was afraid of scratching up my face, so I switched it out to a fabric mesh.

rofl cat bread - try it mate ; Luis guide is really really comprehensive and straight forward.

I was kinda anxious at the start of my stunt conversion - but having so much fun, I have ordered a 2nd MR CE in the hopes of going hero :D

And I've done it w/o a dremel in sight

• 2 weeks later...
Just screwed up on fixing the ears. I now have a hole in the side, currently stopped up with bondo. :(

A hole in the original ears?

That's fine! Get some replacements and do what I did!

Or, the bondo / putty approach is fine too.

Once it's painted you won't be able to tell.

A hole in the original ears?

That's fine! Get some replacements and do what I did!

Or, the bondo / putty approach is fine too.

Once it's painted you won't be able to tell.

I'm hoping it'll look better when painted.

Also, I'm priming the inside gray, is that alright? Or is black still the better choice?

I can run out and get some black, but gray is all I have on hand.

ALSO, where did you get your ears? Ebay?

EDIT: I'm done. I just messed up the brow too, brow trim doesn't fit anymore! I'm so bad/sad. I'm just going to buy another one later. Maybe a TE2 preassembled so that I just have to paint it.

UGH.

Might just toss it.