Legal Sterling Conversion In Cali

cjdesign

Here is the sterling parts kit I just acquired. Which parts can I use, which part do I need to destroy or alter in order to build my blaster legally in California?

Obviously omitting the bolt and barrel tube would be first step. Any guidance from troopers in California that have done this type of conversation would be appreciated. Thanks!

pErsciB.jpg

Bolt and barrel is about it. You can get a nice replica bolt like mine to replace it with but still get the real look. The barrel you can replace it with an alu one, but an alu one is about 1lb lighter or so. The problem is you will want to weld you parts back onto the barrel, or use some crazy awesome metal welding epoxy. The alu tube won't hold up for welding but I"m sure would handle ultra epoxy.

On 11/4/2015 at 1:52 AM, cjdesign said:

Here is the sterling parts kit I just acquired. Which parts can I use, which part do I need to destroy or alter in order to build my blaster legally in California? These parts weigh a ton so omitting the bolt and barrel would be first options, to cut down weight.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

You need to make it like a bapty style conversion.

remove the real bolt, replace the entire receiver with an aluminum one from D DAY.  use a wooden dowel for the inside barrel, (just like in the films)

then you need to cut down the magazine.  when installing the parts you should use epoxy, and not allow the bolt to move.

the trigger unit can click, as long as the cocking action of the plastic replacement bolt does not cycle.  you also will have to paint the tip orange

to protect you from confiscation.

http://www.e-11blaster.com

Only thing that really stands out to me is the magazine. Anything over 10 rounds is<br>

A no-no, unless you're in law-enforcement

This is the seller picture... he cut it in half before shipping. The magazine is only 4.5 inches now. ;)

Edited by cjdesign

I'm sure Vern and others know their stuff, but do your own research with the appropriate authorities as well. When it comes down the crunch, ".... um, Officer, but Vern told me it was ok", ain't gonna cut it :)

Point Noted! The appropriate authorities? That's the question. Knowing Los Angeles I would get conflicting answers anyhow. That's why i figured in 35+ years somebody has already gone down this path and can shed a little info. Vern is from Cali so he should know this stuff.

Edited by cjdesign

Yeah, no idea locally for you. Our local Customs and Police websites have the appropriate info here. If I was a betting man, I would bet Vern is right, it would just be nice to have the exact wording from the authorities tucked away in your file for future reference.

Vern, so i can't use any of the heat shroud or the actual part the magazine fits into? If so, seems like a waste to buy the parts kit only to use the handle grip and stock. I may need to rethink this.

"replace the entire receiver with an aluminum one from D DAY."
Edited by cjdesign

Vern, so i can't use any of the heat shroud or the actual part the magazine fits into? If so, seems like a waste to buy the parts kit only to use the handle grip and stock. I may need to rethink this.

"replace the entire receiver with an aluminum one from D DAY."

He means the receiver tube. I have CNC machined tubes made for my blaster kits and will sell the tubes separate from time to time. What you will need to do is find someone with a torch who can separate the parts of the sterling from the cut up tube. All of the parts will come off, the flash guards, the nozzle, clips, mag housing and so on.

Does your info have to come from troopers only in California? I've been working on my Sterling here in OH. I've been able to remove the electronics from my spare Hasbro blaster, exchange the speaker and LED and install them into the Sterling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Does your info have to come from troopers only in California? I've been working on my Sterling here in OH. I've been able to remove the electronics from my spare Hasbro blaster, exchange the speaker and LED and install them into the Sterling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

All info is appreciated. I just figured since Cali has very strict gun laws, that I'd solicit local advise

Edited by cjdesign

Yeah, no idea locally for you. Our local Customs and Police websites have the appropriate info here. If I was a betting man, I would bet Vern is right, it would just be nice to have the exact wording from the authorities tucked away in your file for future reference.

I agree... Thanks for your input!

It looks like your kit is saw cut.  If so, you are lucky! Most parts kits available today are torch cut and very rough looking ! But, if you are going the aluminum tube route, it shouldn't matter.  Still an awesome looking parts kit !

It looks like your kit is saw cut.  If so, you are lucky! Most parts kits available today are torch cut and very rough looking ! But, if you are going the aluminum tube route, it shouldn't matter.  Still an awesome looking parts kit !

it is in fact saw cut... and zero rust. I would like to use as much of this thing as possible. I couldn't pass this one up!! Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by cjdesign

The only other way is to use a steel tube, and if you use the steel tube, some events won't allow metal guns, or even airsoft guns.

here is a link for you to check out some reference material regarding demil weapons.

http://gunwiki.net/JustTheLaw/RefFullAutoAndRewelds2004

In the bapty version there is a barrel insert that replaces the bolt, the trigger group is removed, and replaced with a block of aluminum.

here is a photo showing the demil process according to NFA BATF rules.(The rules needed to follow)

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/brstprt.html

here is where you start your research:

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/national-firearms-act

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

the process of demil must not allow a full auto trigger group  to be in the weapon.  no working inner parts are allowed.

The best way to get this is to mill off the sear on the trigger group, which makes the trigger group legal.  ( the sear is the part that engages the bolt. )

it's best to get a gunsmith with a license to go over the assembly process with you, to ensure that you comply with county and state laws.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

here is a photo showing the demil process according to NFA BATF rules.(The rules needed to follow)

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/brstprt.html

I'm not seeing the demil process? I see pictures of a de-miled display gun for sale only. This really helps.. thanks again..

Edited by cjdesign

After further investigation... The seller of my parts kit originally purchased from Gun Parts USA over ten years ago (2004) and it seems to be a saw cut, which is no longer allowed.

"After initially letting a huge lot of nice saw cut kits pass the BATF cracked down on the those kits that were saw cut with the full barrel shroud (as pictured above) any new kit will be cut up pretty ugly with a torch into smaller pieces... If you want one of the nice cut ups you will have to find an older import, but the cost will be significantly more..."

-- Source: therpf.com conversion thread with parts kit similar to mine. Thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=114945

Edited by cjdesign
  • Like 1

the process of demil must not allow a full auto trigger group  to be in the weapon.  no working inner parts are allowed.

The best way to get this is to mill off the sear on the trigger group, which makes the trigger group legal.  ( the sear is the part that engages the bolt. )

it's best to get a gunsmith with a license to go over the assembly process with you, to ensure that you comply with county and state laws.

Uniquecanes.com: says the replica sterling on their website has been created with real parts "Welded per BATF Guidelines. All NFA Rules apply."

I sent an email inquiring about the process. Maybe they can help.