Snap Plates vs Brackets - Pro's, Con's?

If you are doing a replica and want absolute accuracy you go with the brackets. If not, then you go with the snaps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just be sure to use quality snaps, Ken, not the cheap ones from discount stores. (Trust me).  I actually ended up doing a double snap system, as suggested by a fellow TK, (see photo).  I have found that it will never, ever come undone during a troop.

WfjZKjb.jpg

in the original strapping design there are 3 locations where the chest connects to the AB.

This does not really allow you much rotation to turn the upper body while leaving the hips forward.

movement is limited in rotational freedom, also bending down can be a problem.

if you put 3 snap locations on the chest then you get the same result.

Having 2 longer connections, like most do it allows you to bend down, and turn rotationally.

• Like 1

Great advice - thanks for the picture, too! It's great to hear about those kinds of things that I really won't discover until after the armor is built. :)

Is there a generally recommended brand of snap for the best quality?

Thanks again!

Tandy leather makes nice, durable snaps.  Just make sure they are the long (5/16) post type.  Try searching Amazon or such for Tandy leather Line 24 long post snaps

Is there a good guide for strapping? I am almost sure I will be using elastic and snaps but I am having trouble finding any tutorials or guides.

I don't even know what size elastic is needed. One thread says you 2" white while another will say 1 1/2" white.

2" white for the shoulder straps (chest piece to back plate) under the shoulder bridges.

1.5" black for all of your interior strapping

3/4" black for your shoulder bell to connect on the bicep hook

1/2" white for your drop boxes

1/4" white for your shoulder bridge rear tie down

These are all just suggestions but seemed to work well for me.

• Like 2

I winged it when it came to the strapping bit cos there were no two same ways of strapping that I've seen when using snaps. Everyone has their own way and you will end up fine-tuning after you get the suit up and running. 

Here is my mess of a strapping system. I've actually got more snaps now because I have cut the cod since then.

I have full mobility and never had a any piece of armour fall off since I built it. 

Hope you get something out of it.  :)

GxiaKc.jpg

If you decide to go with the strap method make sure to buy more snaps than you think your going to need. It seems like I went through them like water.

There do seem to be many ways of doing this, and there is a lot of info but of course it's all over the place. :) 

Here are the links I've saved so far:

Original Strapping Thread

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26477-what-we-know-about-strapping-snaps-rivets-etc/

3 Ways to Make Snap Plates

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20999-howto-make-snap-plates-3-different-ways/#entry259705

How to make snaps hold

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28934-howto-make-snaps-hold/

Bracket System for Sale (bracket method is for most authentic build)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20859-accurate-anh-stormtrooper-strapping-brackets-v-20-now-available/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm going with using webbing for my snap plates - it seems like it will have more flexibility and bend rather than break.

I'm thinking of using CA glue to attach them. Am I crazy? :blink: Should I use E-6000? Any horror stories? :huh:

FWIW, I'm using a snap tool (link below) to attach them. I see everyone using the hammer and punch and that seems way harder. Using the snap tool is really fast (takes maybe a few seconds total?). Is there any reason to use the hammer/punch method instead?

Tool I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Heavy-Duty-Fastener-Plier/dp/B005BB5GYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411793408&sr=8-1&keywords=vario+pliers

Here are the first victims:

IiUFu4f.jpg

Thanks!

Ken

So I'm going with using webbing for my snap plates - it seems like it will have more flexibility and bend rather than break.

I'm thinking of using CA glue to attach them. Am I crazy? :blink: Should I use E-6000? Any horror stories? :huh:

The CA glue you attach them with are more likely to break then your plastic snap plates. Stress always get to the weakest point first.