Is armor safe in the rain?

This may be a silly question but I want to be sure. I just finished my TK bucket and was going to wear it to Denver Comic Con, but Denver has been getting dumped on lately and I'll be relying on public transportation and walking. Is it more or less safe to wear if it will potentially get really wet? 

Okay, let's break this down...

Most plastics are completely inert in water, and they will be completely unaffected in the rain. That's why PVC and ABS are primarily used for plumbing.

More important are the other components. Do you have sensitive electronics in your helmet? Do you have any holes or other entry points for water? If not, your helmet interior is probably fine. If so, don't even think about it. You probably have ear gaps and such, so shake those out when you're done and try to get the nooks and crannies to dry out so that mildew doesn't form later.

Next, consider your strapping. Most of the standard strapping materials will be fine, including nylon and velcro. It's conceivable your straps might loosen up a little with water, but if your rivets/snaps/screws aren't loose to begin with, I wouldn't expect any issues.

Next, what about your bucket's paint and glue? E6000, ABS paste, silicone and CA are going to be fine exposed to water. Most enamels, lacquers and such will be fine as well. Not much to worry about there. You didn't white glue and watercolor your bucket, did you?

Next, what about decals and stickers? If stickers, I would worry. Stickers are just paper, and can really get messed up in water, depending on the material. If decals, I would only worry a little bit. Most are probably fine, but they might be weathered off if the rain is heavy. Be gentle with the helmet. Your TK needs a scarf. Painted-on details will probably be fine.

Finally, think about visibility. If you're walking around in the rain wearing your bucket, you might have a hard time seeing, especially if it's a Hero bucket. Hope you have a handler or are prepared to wipe often. Maybe you should test in a cold shower. ;)

That all said, I'd still try to carry an umbrella. Which would look really funny and cool and get you a few photos snapped. A small one could fit in your holster or pocket. Is it too late to spray paint a white Imperial cog on a black umbrella? If you don't want the umbrella and you don't have holes into the interior of the helmet, I'd not worry about it. Even worn off decals can be replaced easily. Go for it.

Overall, I'd say it's not a big worry if it's a rare thing. Just get it dry ASAP after you're done trooping.

THAT ALL SAID, I reserve the right to be overridden by any pros here who have had real rain experiences. All my knowledge here is based on the natural properties of the individual components.

Bill

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 3

It'l be fine, trust me ;)

---------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

If it's cold, wear warm gloves. I trooped in the cold rain and the worst part was my hands freezing.  Armor came out just fine...

Bill really nailed it.

I've trooped in a light rain before, and I didn't even feel it. Follow Bill's guidance, and the most you will have to worry about is (1) decreased visibility due to lens fogging, and (2) loss of traction with your boots.

No experience, but the plastic itself should be fine, as Bill said, as long as you live in an area without acid rain. I'd do it here in CA (no coal-powered electrical plants) but maybe not a great idea in PA or areas that experience acid rain.

Hose / salt / chlorine water really doesn't hurt the paint or glue at all?ðŸ˜

Edited by charlesnarles