Mutter's NE ANH Stunt Build

I spent some more time working on the armor this afternoon and cut the side returns on the back plate. 

IMG_6478_zps1pvmungv.jpg

IMG_6482_zpsnwut2ilq.jpg

IMG_6484_zpslyf14udp.jpg

I hadn't sanded the return on this one yet.

IMG_6485_zpsdnerzyej.jpg

I'm quite happy how they came out.  Huge thanks to Nick (SCTrooper) who provided the guidance for the cut lines.  They would not have come out as well if not for him.

Now I'm working on the shins and strapping system.  I'm hoping to provide an update again tomorrow.

• Like 1

Oh, one other question.  On NE armor, are there a left and a right shin or is it the same for both legs?  I'm looking at these and it seems like I have 2 left shins.  The "larger" piece belongs on the inside of the calf.  Am I crazy?

IMG_6493_zps8tcjtqhz.jpg

The tops of the shins are uneven.  I would have assumed the low side would be on the outside and the high side would be on the inside (or vice versa) but I could be totally incorrect.

IMG_6494_zps7tp7pyzl.jpg

I threw in the strapping for the butt, kidney and back plates this morning.  I didn't want to wait for E6000 to cure so I used Zap-A-Gap to glue the snaps (made with ABS not webbing).  It may have been how I used it but most of the snaps were popping off.  Most came off the butt plate (no fat a$$ comments please :P ). I'm going to remove as many as I can and use E6000 instead and use it with the rest of the snaps.

I also had to heat and reform the left shoulder tab on the back and chest piece.  My left should is higher than my right and it hasn't been sitting properly.  If sits great now.

This is how it looked before reforming (again)

IMG_6519_zpsprlzfkwp.jpg

IMG_6539_zpse73lcsqn.jpg

IMG_6534_zpshhflvyby.jpg

IMG_6545_zpsne6ijtw1.jpg

IMG_6536_zpsn4coltes.jpg

My kidney plate seems to flare out a little more than the back plate on the left side, not so much on the right side.  I haven't cut the kidney to size yet.  Hopefully, this will resolve the flaring.  If not, more heat gun.

Thoughts? comments?

The shins look good, line the tops up and trim all the return off the bottoms. The inside curve is clearly the inner shins. You have them correct. all the parts are unique.  Looking Good.

Thanks for looking, Nick.  I'll glue them together then!

Thanks, guys!  Walter, you're a picture mad man, holy crap, talk about documenting your build. Nice!

With the consensus on the shins, I moved forward with sizing.

IMG_6561_zpsa5urni4z.jpg

IMG_6565_zpsymtcvkju.jpg

IMG_6566_zpssapxcftp.jpg

And the inside, front shims being glued

IMG_6568_zpshyf04ve1.jpg

I bought 50 magnets thinking that would be enough. Each magnet is doubled for extra pressing power.  My advice to everyone out there, buy at least 100.  I now have to wait 2-3 day to finish the shins before I can begin gluing the thighs.  Sigh.

So I went back to my bucket and decided to finish it.  First off was to paint the teeth, cheeks and traps and the varcoder

IMG_6557_zps49liqmum.jpg

IMG_6558_zpsojqz7ako.jpg

I realized I pretty much suck and hand painting. I waited until the paint was pretty dry to clean up the lines.  A toothpick, paint thinner and a fine paint brush cleaned it up nicely.

IMG_6596_zpszksdfq9y.jpg

IMG_6597_zpsaubodzfo.jpg

Then came hand painting the vent lines and outline trim on the rear traps and cheeks. Do NOT drink caffeine before doing this!  I also added the blue stripes.  These were not hand painted, I feel so ashamed :o

IMG_6599_zpsxd4r6ta3.jpg

IMG_6606_zpsqgnbcban.jpg

IMG_6618_zpsygyri8l8.jpg

And the helmet is finally done!

IMG_6620_zpsofpronmg.jpg

IMG_6621_zpsgy7tecqs.jpg

IMG_6622_zpscl21whrk.jpg

• Like 1

Ty, shaky hands and painting fine lines don't go well together.  There were a lot of touch-ups done, but I do appreciate the compliment!

And thank you too, Scott!

I've assembled the thighs and shins, added the sniper plate and began adding strapping.  I'll add pictures as soon as I can.

The belt is under progress now.  I saw a thread somewhere that said the thickness of the drop boxes should be 12mm.  Is this correct?  Mine are 16mm and I need to know if I have to trim them down.

Edited by Mutter

So I haven't posted in a while but I've made quite a bit of progress. 

In the pics below, the thighs are not supported yet, the shins don't have a closure on the back and I hadn't widened the shoulder bells yet either.  But here's the progress so far.

IMG_6692_zpsa2peo8pg.jpg

IMG_6697_zpsiytzcwcv.jpg

IMG_6695_zpstylaolne.jpg

IMG_6698_zpswzvbq1fo.jpg

IMG_6703_zps1a4txoy2.jpg

IMG_6702_zpsxsexen8c.jpg

I have the garter belt hooked up and supporting my thighs.  I'm thinking I might need to trim the tops a bit to raise them.  The backs are shoved in the crease between my buttocks and thighs.

IMG_6707_zpsxldsk9gm.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

• Like 1

Looking really good so far! Your sides are lining up nicely - and the chest/codpiece looks like it's fitting well. I thing maybe your sniper plate will "untuck" from your thigh once you secure the back , but if it doesn't a little foam in the front of the shin helped me. Also- it looks like both of your forearms are rocked out to the sides- are they connected yet?

Ian,  I'm glad my build thread was helpful. I've used an incredible number of others to guide me too.

I've finished my build.  I will need to make some adjustments as I move around more and remove a few bite points and adjust the strapping as well as add more padding behind the sniper plate.  Pictures have been submitted and approved by my GML for membership.  Waiting to hear from the Legion for a final nod and receive my TK ID.  Here's how I look:

IMG_6787_zpsf8ktm3wx.jpg

IMG_6791_zpsbiueepua.jpg

IMG_6793_zpsblrjel0r.jpg

IMG_6795_zpsjqvdg9qg.jpg

IMG_6797_zpsojfghy3l.jpg

IMG_6799_zpsdyxzt6ah.jpg

IMG_6800_zpsrnu7lebl.jpg

IMG_6830_zpsbafxrrqi.jpg

IMG_6828_zpsevvmb01q.jpg

IMG_6825_zpskynk9giq.jpg

IMG_6823_zpsklpxya1v.jpg

IMG_6832_zpswklsick3.jpg

IMG_6851_zpsm4ur2tqs.jpg

IMG_6836_zps8psdyvd8.jpg

IMG_6844_zpsclayaj3r.jpg

IMG_6841_zpslrvregkm.jpg

IMG_6842_zpsmn1yvqwm.jpg

IMG_6843_zpsguf3epz2.jpg

IMG_6845_zpsaloykw5l.jpg

IMG_6846_zpsumhfgquo.jpg

IMG_6848_zpsmwxs7y4m.jpg

Thank you, everyone, for all of the help and support your provided during my build. It was greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...