ATA Armor Build_My First TK

Oh .. gotcha.

Was that done for more stability ?

EDIT:

Ok .. I saw that this is done to allow the cover strip to lay flat ...

I'll let Russell reply to this being it wasn't my idea. I just assisted him in finding a solution to his situation.

• Like 1

I'll let Russell reply to this being it wasn't my idea. I just assisted him in finding a solution to his situation.

Wasent my idea either !

This whole thing is about closing the back of the shins as well as the thighs. At least give the illusion they are glued shut.

Hope it works!! I need to get some white webbing to lay across the joint inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT:  If anyone has seen another build where the person did this "double cover strip" locking thing it is probably where i got the idea.

If YOU did this thread...chime in !     I cannot remember were I saw it here but I was looking at build threads and saw this idea.  Now I am trying to expand on it and make it stay together with straps or other and keep that nice clean flat look outside, no visible hooks or Velcro.

Edited by russellr2d2

Small parts building today.

Hand gards

IMG_4291_zps5akbsxgb.jpg

IMG_4288_zps9g9xwkoi.jpg

The drop boxes will be 15MM thick.

IMG_4289_zpstoyz7hdf.jpg

Thats all today!

Edited by russellr2d2

Looks great Russell. :duim:

Question, given the meticulous care you're put into your armor so far I'm assuming you shooting for Centurion?

Yes, might as well.  The building is really the same as I see it.  "Real" (rubber) hand guards will come later. For now I will get basic approval then re-apply with the rubber hand guards for ESB then Cent.. However, as I build I want to use the correct rivets, elastics, and doo-hickeys for Centurion approval.

Painted Ab buttons while I wait for some strap material to arrive.

Thought I could do this while I watch TV but, it took all of about 10 minutes to do.

The paints are from Trooperbay.  Humbrol paints are really nice quality, super smooth and when they dry they lay flat without brush marks.

IMG_4298_zps2c3bv3ed.jpg

IMG_4297_zpsjjpmolik.jpg

All done!  Just covering the tops of the buttons.  Let them dry overnight ...mandatory for the paint to flow out.

IMG_4300_zpsuydcqn6h.jpg

this build is awesome.  I am pretty far along in my ATA build.  Arms, legs done, starting on chest and back.  Ordering my strapping kit and getting started.  Your build is awesome and inspiring.  Mine is a first time build as well, and I hope to start a pic build thread soon.  I've got some hints and tips from yours.  Thanks for posting.

this build is awesome.  I am pretty far along in my ATA build.  Arms, legs done, starting on chest and back.  Ordering my strapping kit and getting started.  Your build is awesome and inspiring.  Mine is a first time build as well, and I hope to start a pic build thread soon.  I've got some hints and tips from yours.  Thanks for posting.

Ahhhhh geeeeeeee    :blush:     I do it so others can see what I do and laugh... errr, I mean learn!   I am getting all kinds of advice here.  I even had a great phone conversation with ukswrath and learned a thing or two!  

Like I have said before...this is too fun!

Thanks,

Russell

THANK YOU FOR THE COMPLIMENTS EVERYONE.... My head is getting too big for my bucket! :smiley-sw013:

Starting the strapping !

EDIT!!!: I took all the blk elastic off the forearms because  ukswrath & I determined I had it on the wrong place.

So right now I have this at the biceps. Maybe snaps in the forearm would be easier later on?

Or just glue it to the forearm and have the arms connected forever?

What do you guys recommend?

Shoulder bells snap plates going in. The plates are long but thin. Used LOTS of E6000.

IMG_4317_zpstyazjujw.jpg

Close up of a C clamp on the shoulder bells snap plat at the top of the bell.
Another goes at the lower part to connect to the top of the forearm.

IMG_4318_zpsju9byzpa.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

DO OVER!!!

Got some advice from Ukswrath about the elastics. So I went out an checked them and decided to try another elastic and position.

So I pulled out the elastic before the E6000 dries and cleaned up the glue.

Edited by russellr2d2

Do over on the arm strapping with photos!

OK try again.  this time first with tape as a mock up.  I lined up the cover strip on the top of the arm.

IMG_4447_zpsagmwvale.jpg

Here is how the arm hangs by the strap (tape for now)

IMG_4446_zpsyxc2hpwv.jpg

On my arm...

IMG_4445_zpsnta81c1o.jpg

The elastic will bend like this...

IMG_4444_zpsd3piexix.jpg

Correcion too!   :D 

I have seen many Centurion applications where they lined up the covers strips. I guess it looks better to have them aligned but you are correct it does not allow the arm to be bent.

I does seem I could align the cover strip but rotate the bicep and forearm together to allow the arm to bend normally. But then the arm does not align with the shoulder bell ridge.

I tend to go along with you on how the arms should align because that is what we see in the movies. But, I have seen comment on some centurion applications that the alignment is preferred.

Thank you!

Edited by russellr2d2