ATA Armor Build_My First TK

On to the chest & back pieces.

Drawing a pencil line where I think I should cut....hope its right!   I want to leave a bit of a side to the chest/back pieces so they "look real" or have some depth.  More than just a return edge though.  I can always trim it off later if needed.

Here I have about 1/4" or so on the sides.

IMG_3939_zpswatzetcp.jpg  

I did the same for the back and then scored with my x-acto knife.

IMG_3927_zpsocrf9gg0.jpg  

SNAP!

IMG_3929_zpsxzizawgk.jpg

I don't know about you guys but pretty much ALL of my final shape and line is determined by the sanding.  The score and snap deal only gets roughly there.  I like to snap off the plastic outside of where I want to end up and sand down to my final line.  Loads of plastic dust hits the floor here!

Sides look like this.  I round off the edge and corners so they are soft to the touch.

IMG_3948_zps3ofd837q.jpg

Looking up under the chest piece at the bottom edge.

IMG_3950_zpseb4tex9o.jpg

The neck cut out.

IMG_3949_zpsn6alo8jd.jpg

Neck line.

IMG_3952_zpservgtrnf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

THIGHS:

Starting on the LEFT thigh the right side follows same procedure.

Marking and scoring with an Xacto knife. Then "walking" a wide pliers across the score line rocking it back and forth to split the plastic.

IMG_4039_zpskcwk9krt.jpg

The pencil line down the front of the thigh leaving 10mm to each side for a final 20mm cover strip.

IMG_4040_zpscjcla4lx.jpg

After this line is scored and split off with the pliers I like to even up the line using this method with sandpaper flat on my table and scoot the piece back and forth to sand the cut line perfectly flat.  This makes a really nice seam between the two halves of plastic.

IMG_4041_zpswnmdf3ym.jpg  

This makes the seam flat and helps the cover strip lay flat.  The magnets I am using are great!  1/2" x 1/4"  

IMG_4027_zpsewwhbhfp.jpg

I use CA glue to attach ONE SIDE of the inner strip to speed things up. THEN I glue the halves together using E6000.  This way if I do have to pull things apart I can pull the inner strip off one side and get at things.

IMG_4022_zpsq9zfzal8.jpg

The inside cover strip goes in with magnets all along the way.  I will not put on the outer strip until I fit the thigh to my leg and close up the back with it's inside strip.  When everything fits well I will glue on the outer cover strips and it will be final.

Cant have too many magnets!   I have a dozen of the 1/2" dia ones.  Get thick magnets 1/4" ...not the 1/8".

IMG_4025_zpsvpanvfpf.jpg

Here is the thigh with the front glues up on the inside only. I'm loving the flat seam!

IMG_4028_zpsseozhfli.jpg

Here is a quick fit test.  I think I will need 25mm in the back these are tight against my leg (not squeezing though).

I have to hold it up a bit or it slides down but the fit is flush to my body suit. It is hiked up as high as I can get it.

*Do you guys recommend cutting in the top notch shape for Centurion or is it necessary??

IMG_4035_zpsltmplzge.jpg

I can get two fingers laying flat under the plastic,

IMG_4032_2_zpss5lgccpq.jpg

Knee length.  I cannot really pull them up any higher...is this OK???

The slight mismatch of the bottom edge will be ironed out later.

Its fairly skin tight but not squeezing.

IMG_4031_zps1zcnq83m.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Looks great.

You can trim the return edges if you need to. My thighs are kinda big so I only have about 3/16" return edge, some areas less.

Don't trim any more shape to the thighs then they already are. Armor shape differs between builders, this is a minor detail when it comes to EIB or Cent.

I also wouldn't worry about the lower offset either at this point, your outer cover strip will help with the visual. For future reference, align return edge areas like this first.

Those are some big magnets, have you been bitten yet? "We got a bleeder" hahaha   :laugh1:

Keep up the good work   :jc_doublethumbup:  :popcorn:

It's hard to judge the position of your thigh without the torso and shins in place to refer to. Looks good to me though.

The notch on top of the left thigh isn't required for Centurion, but if you feel up to, i'd say go for it. Pandatrooper had done something similar back in the days and it was quite good.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11836-how-to-make-thigh-tops-anh-style/

• Like 1

It's hard to judge the position of your thigh without the torso and shins in place to refer to. Looks good to me though.

The notch on top of the left thigh isn't required for Centurion, but if you feel up to, i'd say go for it. Pandatrooper had done something similar back in the days and it was quite good.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11836-how-to-make-thigh-tops-anh-style/

Good info there Germain. 

Thanks guys!

I'll think about the top notch shape first if it is not a requirement or a popular item.

These magnets are just right!  Not bites yet from them but have already chipped a few because they snap together so hard.  It is hard to keep them apart.

Then once stuck together you have to slide them apart.

Edited by russellr2d2

Trimming the back plate:

To me this looks like the "TOP" or  BOTTOM   ????

PHOTO #1   TOP OR BOTTOM?

IMG_4063_zpsoahy3377.jpg

IMG_4064_zpsivslxlaa.jpg

At each side of this piece the plastic curves up.  I plan on ironing this down flat after the piece is trimmed.

Should this be flat here ???

IMG_4058_zpsmmzjdagk.jpg    

Should that flap be ironed flat down and become the return edge?

IMG_4057_zpsmh8rtoox.jpg

A test fitting of my thighs.  

NOTE:  I do not yet have the back of the thighs glued up. There is overlapping plastic of the untrimmed edges. This makes them a little tight with the overlapped plastic in back and all the tape sticking them together.  But a good first look I think.  I feel that if I leave a 25MM cover strip joint on the back of the thighs they will fit well even more loose than they are now because there will be no overlap on the back.

a) The plastic is snug on my thighs. Is this normal or do you guys have air space all over the front and sides of your thighs?  These are skin tight on me and there is no space between the plastic and my body suit.  Air flow around the front and inside of the thighs?  Virtually none.   I am guessing this is common and part of the suffering we TK's go through for the empire.

B) Also I notice the thighs like to turn out to the sides and the cover strip will be offset to the side and not facing dead center forward.  Common?  How to prevent this with the straps?

IMG_4070_zpsic6w8xbk.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

A) Ahhh the joys of of trooping in skin tight armor, not! If all possible give yourself some room on the back, I was in the same boat. If you look at my EIB or Cent post you'll notice the rear cover strips of my things are a bit wide. My approving officer allowed it to fly because it was symmetrical. If you're uncertain about the width or the look you can temporarily tape the rear cover strip to the thighs and take another pic for us to see.

Yes a garter belt setup will help keep them centered.

Great Job  :duim:

"A) Ahhh the joys of of trooping in skin tight armor, not! If all possible give yourself some room on the back, I was in the same boat."

Thanks for the advice!   I think I will end up a lot more loose after trimming the up to 2" of overlapped plastic that is there now. It is being held together with masking tape. Also, I have almost 1/4" wide return edges I can sand down and get myself some more room.

I think I will trim at 30MM and test fit and then decide if 25MM is OK just to be safe.

Thanks!

Gluing on thigh cover strips front only still. Not ready to button up the back yet until i know the exact fit.

Sanded flat the cover strip area so the glue grips well.  Trimmed the cover strip to correct length.

IMG_4081_zps9pjd0uer.jpg

Using lots of magnets!

IMG_4082_zps9uqodluq.jpg

The magnets hold the cover strip down tight on the glue and the tape holds the strip in position.

IMG_4083_zpsbhqz5gkk.jpg

The off-set bottom return edge can be ironed out easy enough.

NEED HELP HERE !

WHICH END IS "UP"???

IMG_4063_zpsoahy3377.jpg

Gluing on thigh cover strips front only still. Not ready to button up the back yet until i know the exact fit.

Sanded flat the cover strip area so the glue grips well.  Trimmed the cover strip to correct length.

IMG_4081_zps9pjd0uer.jpg

Using lots of magnets!

IMG_4082_zps9uqodluq.jpg

The magnets hold the cover strip down tight on the glue and the tape holds the strip in position.

IMG_4083_zpsbhqz5gkk.jpg

The off-set bottom return edge can be ironed out easy enough.

NEED HELP HERE !

WHICH END IS "UP"???

IMG_4063_zpsoahy3377.jpg

BTW you don't need to iron the lower edge, that is the right thigh which will be covered by the ammo pack.

Edited by ukswrath

Cover strips on the thighs added and cut the backs to 30MM.

Right & left thigh with 20MM cover strips.

IMG_4110_zpspyaoaozy.jpg

After I button up the back of the thighs I will iron out this extra area to the pencil line to even out the bottom.

IMG_4113_zpsroinl2tq.jpg

I went ahead and cut the back of the thighs so I will have a 30MM cover strip down the back of my legs.

I realized after doing this that maybe I should have waited tell I fit my shins but it's done.

I put the thighs on and held them up as high as I could and walked around for about 10 mins. I did this several times re-fitting them with tape and holding them up as high as I could get them. They are snug but not skin tight all over.

I just might be able to cut them further to 25MM someday. But I will finish the legs with 30MM and be comfortable.

Peeling and bending off the scored plastic flap on the back of the thighs.  30MM gives me a comfortable fit in my body suit.

IMG_4111_zpsopcysi3g.jpg

Cutting and gluing shins. Lets hope the 30MM back cover strips make these fit as well ! :blink:

Bottom edges can be trimmed and aligned easy. I worry about the tops most because they have so much structure in them.

The bottoms are so easy to fix up I just allow them to be mismatched. Easy to iron and sand out.

IMG_4107_zps20ralcoa.jpg

I find the tape helps keep the two sides pulled tight together while the magnets holds the cover strips down hard on the glue.

In this case only the inside strip now. The outside strip doesn't get put on until I know the fit. Just in case I have to pull the whole thing apart.

IMG_4108_zpsedb75zrw.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Ok so THIS IS UP ...correct me if I am wrong.  AND I should cut off that rolled over return edge on my pencil line????

*pics*

Sounds right.

About the shins, you don't really want any return edges at the bottom of them or they will wear out your boots really fast.

And about the thighs, I would recommand you to stick with 25mm cover stripes EVEN IF the molded raised sections of the thighs are 30mm wide across once fitted to your body. Basically you are allowed to widen the cover stripes only to cover an actual gap between the two lips of the thigh halves, like on the diagram below:

sans_t10.png

Going with 30mm cover stripes could hinder you Centurion application. More informations on this thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/25603-tk-31198-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ata108/page-3

Buttoning up the back of the thighs and some small part cutting...

Finally decided on the fit of my thighs was OK with 25mm wide cover strip on back.  

They fit nicely and are loose enough to rotate a bit on my legs. 

Cutting an inner strip to size and fitting...

167c0523-50d0-4798-82f7-7cafeebd4ce4_zps  

Inside cover strip glued in with CA glue.  E6000 for the final glue up.

IMG_4151_zpscgk092ek.jpg

Glue up with E6000 for the final seam closure. I must have tried on the thighs 4-5 times before deciding on

the 25mm back strips.  The shins fit great, even looser with this wide back seam.

IMG_4152_zpswmxodjmn.jpg

Lots of thick magnets needed. The two ends of this seam did not want to stay together.

IMG_4153_zpscpnhycrn.jpg

Cut and sanded the sniper knee cover....look OK?

IMG_4121_zpsddeqrbhe.jpg