ATA Armor Build_My First TK

Glad you decided to use 25mm cover stripes too.

And the sniper knee plate looks ok, just be sure to have the ends of the wings cut in a vertical straight line.

gallery_14191_22_240584.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments!  thats why I post to check my work and to help others along their way...and for fun!

NOTE the two knee plates in the photo Germain posted.  one of them is glued to the front of the shin down low..... and the other is glued up high where we do them on the molded edge of the shin.  I will be doing mine up high like everybody here does them...right onto the molded ridge at the top of the shin.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the comments!  thats why I post to check my work and to help others along their way...and for fun!

NOTE the two knee plates in the photo Germain posted.  one of them is glued to the front of the shin down low..... and the other is glued up high where we do them on the molded edge of the shin.  I will be doing mine up high like everybody here does them...right onto the molded ridge at the top of the shin.

I was thinking the same thing!  If the movie TK's posted their photos we would have them re-adjust both plates! 

More thigh closing:

For heavens sake!  This thigh really did not want to go together!  The plastic did not match up and there is a lot of pressure on the seam.  It was even lifting after gluing in the inside strip.

I had to use some CA glue to close it and keep it from popping open.

A couple big C clamps and magnets needed.

IMG_4165_zps3whlujmg.jpg

A bit messy with CA glue poured into the opening seam. Some sanding will clean it up and it is all hidden under the outer strip. Hope the seam stays closed after I release the C clamps!!!

IMG_4164_zpsesuttdht.jpg

Wow! Using "C" clamps that size to be holding thigh halves together is concerning. I'm not sure I want you standing next to me during a troop just in case your seems decide to let go and blow me across the street  :laugh1: JK, Gotta do what ya gotta do!  :duim:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Wow! Using "C" clamps that size to be holding thigh halves together is concerning. I'm not sure I want you standing next to me during a troop just in case your seems decide to let go and blow me across the street  :laugh1: JK, Gotta do what ya gotta do!  :duim:

BRRRRAAAHHHhAAAA!!!     oh yea!    waaaahhhpppp!!!   :laugh1:  

Mostly they are that big because I needed to reach to the middle as much as I could.  But it took CA glue to close the middle.  

Now waiting for about 3 days before I undo the clamps. I want to make sure the seams do not tear open.

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

On to the building!

Finished the Left thigh!  Tried it on and it fits well. I can pull it up high on my leg. 

20mm cover strip in front...

IMG_4173_zpssfdnykw7.jpg

25mm cover strip on the back... Are these going to be OK for a future Centurion approval?

IMG_4172_zpsj65ef5le.jpg

I saw this method of heat bending the knee belt.

IMG_4174_zpsmrr3i69f.jpg

after heat bending it retains a nice bend.

IMG_4175_zps876jgf2d.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2
  • Like 1

WOOP hoop! This is too much fun! I am supposed to be doing yard work but who can do that when there a TK to be built!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I am so with you. My yard has been looking haggard these last few weeks. I finally had to put down the plastic and pull out the mower.  

OK What gives!?  I ended up with the LEFT thigh having this lifted back side to it.  Like one side was molded differently then the other.

I will iron this down and fill....see next post

IMG_4177_zpshkatfhbs.jpg

Here is the rest of the thigh just after taking all those massive C clamps off....It holds!

It was a real struggle to get the two halves to go together so there is a lot of messy glue all over.  Cleans up easy enough and the strip area gets sanded flat then the cover strip glued on top.  

IMG_4179_zpsibslnty6.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Here is the work on the mismatched bottom edge-rear of the right thigh on my ATA armor.  i used a hobby iron to "roll" it down flat. Then some sanding to get it tidy.

It worked really nice. No evidence the mismatch was ever there! After a couple days I can sand the goop flat and polish.

IMG_4180_zpsi2odk5fh.jpg

Edited by russellr2d2

Ukswrath!

Your thighs look just like mine ..... Errr I mean they look like the ones I built. Ummmmm well you know what I mean!!

It's good to see this is an ATA thing and I didn't goof!

Ukswrath!

Your thighs look just like mine ..... Errr I mean they look like the ones I built. Ummmmm well you know what I mean!!

It's good to see this is an ATA thing and I didn't goof!

Yes, my point exactly. No worries with your build you're doing great. :duim:  

Shin fit and back end cutting:

Cutting the back opening of the shins.  This will have a 25MM cover strip opening to the inside so it cannot be seen from the side.

I have left the inside flap alone for now and I might allow it to remain to help overlap inside the shin.  I will use hooks to keep the shins closed

IMG_4209_zpsulo0jmae.jpg  

My sniper plate glues on....no rivets!

IMG_4206_zps6mt1qsuo.jpg

IMG_4207_zpshjrkfdha.jpg

Adding the 25MM cover strip to the outside so the public cannot see into the back of the seam.

Hooks will close it up.

IMG_4218_zpsvwcvwxyw.jpg

Do you know what those thingies holding the cover strip on are called????    if you do you win!

IMG_4217_zpsiqegp7nc.jpg

OOOOH! Purdy, looking awesome  :duim:

Yes, they're called bra clips (aka hook and loop)

I made a tutorial on how to make them. In the tutorial I use nylon webbing and elastic, use the elastic version for EIB and Centurion.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29132-diy-rear-calf-closure-clips-aka-%E2%80%9Cbra-clips%E2%80%9D/

OR ...

You can also follow a similar build in my ATA-rebuild thread part 2

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29684-anh-stunt-ata-re-build-part-2/

Edited by ukswrath

And you have to take a little break now and then...

Some single malt whiskey from Scotland...

IMG_4213_zpsg54pfcbd.jpg

and something from my former life before I joined the empire !   Doh!

IMG_4211_zpse2w0aacn.jpg