I just ordered my first set of armor

I am so excited, I have wanted to be a Stormtrooper since I was a little boy. I would run around in white thermal pants and a white thermal shirt, with white shin-guards (from soccer) to make it look more like I was wearing armor *chuckles*.

I had seen Stormtroopers here and there at different comic-book conventions, but I never knew there was a large group until I met my girlfriend, who is in the 501st. When she told me that not only was there a large group of people who dressed up like Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, etc, but that they also do alot of work for charitable organizations...well, it seemed like a great hobby to have!

Since then, I have been meeting alot of 501st members, whether by design or by accident. When I attended Dragon*Con for the first time in 2007, my girlfriend let me use a 501st Legion lanyard for my convention badge. We hadn't been standing in line (to pick up our passes) more than 10 minutes before another person in line greeted me by asking me how long I had been in the 501st. This person was a member, and despite the fact that he didn't know me at all, and would likely never meet me again, welcomed me as if I were his neighbor. When I explained that I was not (yet) a member of the 501st, he told me that if I ever wanted to join, to contact him. I didn't, since I believe he was from the Texas Garrison, and I live in Ohio, but I appreciated the offer.

I saw alot of 501st members at Dragon*Con, at GalaxyCon and at Mid-Ohio Con. I don't believe that there was a single instance in which I was made to feel anything other than welcome. Do you realize how unlikely that is, with such a large and diverse group of people? Not only was I made to feel welcome, but several people told me that (when I was ready) they would help me put together my armor, and help guide me through the process...which is really quite necessary, as I don't really get along so well with using tools *chuckles*.

Even on the Internet (at www.ohio501st.com and www.whitearmor.net), I have been "meeting" people who have helped me along in my progress of obtaining armor and all the accessories. Despite the fact that many of these people have never heard my voice or know what I look like, they have all been friendly and helpful. I am very impressed. I think that too many times in our society, it's a case of every person for themselves, but that is clearly not the case in the 501st Legion. Oh, I am sure that there are some exceptions, but that could be said of any group. Can most groups truly claim that they help bring new members (and even those who are not yet members, like me!) up and into their ranks, treating them like a brother or sister? That is the feeling that I have gotten. Many of you even address each other as such. It is something that is very telling, and a good sign :).

Well, I will stop my rambling now, but I just want to thank all of you who have given me insight, advice and encouragement as I begin my new hobby. I really do appreciate it, and I will be sure to pass it forward when I get that opportunity!

Welcome to the Forum Jon! Have fun putting together that armor and make sure to take your time and ask as many questions of us here as you need to. Thats what this place is for. Again welcome to the FISD. :trooper:

Welcome. I'm new to all this, I just ordered my first kit of armor a few weeks ago and I'm working on how to put it all together. So far, everyone here has been extremely nice and helpful and there is a TON of helpful info in the forums. Also, lots of different view points on how to construct everything so you can weigh different options and figure out which one will work best for you.

I can't wait to start trooping, and I'm already thinking about what to do after I finish my stormtrooper. Haha, it's an addiction.

hehehe.. im getting excited just reading your post!!!

congrats!!! i know that after i did TONS of research, and redeemed enough bottles, i was able to get my first set of armor, and i was wicked excited too!!! (traded aluminum for ABS... lol)..

enjoy it...

You think your excited now, just wait till your armour arives :D

Welcome to the community Jon. As you have already ascertained , you will never find a nicer and more helpfull bunch of people than those dressed in the white plastic. I envy the stage of the journey you are now begining. :D

• 1 month later...

I'm still not quite ready to order mine yet. I was first looking at Doug Barret's armor. Good price and would ship quick, but then I started perusing here, and really thought to get into something a bit more authentic. I got in touch with AP, but they've got quite a backlog, and trimmingi it out will take quite a while. I've now thought about RT, but haven't heard anything back yet. Waiting patiently.

Funny, though, the more I wait, the more I go back and forth between the three; all the pro's and cons. Driving me nuts!

I think I'll go order my hyperfirm e-11 to make me feel better :)

Congratulations man!!

I have ordered mine, put it together, and gotten my TK ID all in the last 3 months, and I feel your excitement!

There is nothing like donning that armor for the first time... well, unless it's seeing pictures of yourself in your armor for the first time... you're just like, "WOW!! I look like a Stormtrooper!"

And Tim, I'd say don't stress too much over your first set of armor. I have an FX kit and could not be happier! I will probably "upgrade" someday... like 3 or 4 or 10 years from now... but I love my armor and it's the "least accurate" kit out there. I even love my bucket... which looks correctly sized on my wide shouldered frame. Like I said, having your armor, no matter the kit, seems to wash away any doubts or fears or worries that you had about which one to buy. At least it did for me. :)

Congrats again Jon!

Can't wait to see pictures of you in it!