DVH Pipe Build with Extras

Crikey!  This is COOL!!

I love the magnet idea.  I was going to hollow out my magazine for electronics.

I wonder if there's room to put small neodynium magnets in the corners and still leave the center hollow?

Ian, you're inspiring a bunch of modifications that I wouldn't have done - glad you're finishing yours before I finish mine!  ;)

LOL. Is that a reference to the late, great Steve Irwin? Or a commonly used term over there too?

tumblr_lh1cx4Qjy51qb2r1z.jpg

I've never bought any of those small magnets but i reckon there would be ample room. The only reason I went with this size is bacause there were a dozen or so on the fridge! I think you would only need one or two of those small high strength ones. 

When I started this build I honestly didn't think I would come up with anything new or exciting. It's great that we are all inspiring each other to come up with these ideas and improvements. Hopefully some of them can be passed on to many others to come.

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

(...)    Hopefully some of them can be passed on to many others to come.

Somehow I am very sure on that ... ;)

You did some very good modifications and I think many people will adopt these into their future builds.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been dissassembling and cleaning my demilled sterling pieces. And when I removed my stock from the ... pivot point, it had a series of thin aluminum shims to keep the stock from seizing. Has anyone refabricated these for their builds? I don't see them when you re assembled yours.

Mine didn't come with any Sean. Whether that means not all are the same, or they have since been lost?? (Mine also didn't have the locating lugs on it). I do remember Aaron (usaeatt2) placing some new ones in his Steel Build and commenting about the colour of them... I hadn't really thought of it but I should try to source some sort of washer to install after I paint it. Cheers

Interesting. Mine came with three shims on each side. A small copper sandwhiched between a larger aluminum about twice as thick as aluminum foil.

3 each side! Sounds like 2 too many. Throw some my way  :)

• 5 months later...

Ian I can't believe that I missed this thread until now.

The work done on this blaster is amazing and there is a wealth of reference material, dimensions, ideas and photographs.

Much of this will be of great help to me and many others so I thank you for posting such detailed information.

Edited by Thrawn's guard

Thanks Chris. Appreciate the feedback. I actually made a stand for it recently so it has somewhere to sit. Still haven't painted it yet. Must really get round to doing that...

Your build is going above and beyond many of these 'older' threads already - but that's the idea of a build thread, to ask questions and hopefully provide help to others. Glad you could get something out of it.

So, I just read through this whole thread... GREAT build. I am a 100% rookie and plan to get a kit from Phoenix Props as soon as i can. In the mean time, I have been reading threads like yours and learning as much as I can. I love the mods you have done and hope do follow in your foot steps with my build.

The "p word" is my biggest worry too. My paint experience stops at horrible spray paint jobs... so it will be interested to see what approach you take.

Ps. Sorry of i blew any ones account up with all my "likes". Great info here and couldn't help pressing the "like" button

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Haha. Thanks Joey! I did wake up this morning to quite a few 'notifications'....

I think I'm leaning towards something basic - matte black, gloss black, silver around the trigger, and something different for the bolt. Nothing too fancy.

• 4 months later...

I can't believe it's been 10 months since I did my last update, well I guess I can. Anyway, I've started a new project so thought I should actually finish this one. Paint time! Parts laid out:

P1030269_zpsc68opt3i.jpg

Matt black laid down

P1030270_zpspkeq3ezw.jpg

Gloss about to go on the grip

P1030276_zpsfsqjez7w.jpg

Scope, I painted gloss black, then dry brushed brass onto it. The photos show it looking quite brassy, but I don't see that in real life. Another trick photography outcome... Whether the real brass is coming through with the flash/lighting? Dunno? Bolt is metallic grey with the strip a slapped together mix of aluminium/black. Aluminium around the trigger group and that's about it. T-tracks left black, as they come. Now I'll probably wait another 10 months before I decide to weather it. Please excuse my half finished slapped together stand too.

P1030286_zpspe3iccli.jpg

P1030285_zpswajsr3ho.jpg

P1030284_zpspqdcourz.jpg

P1030283_zps1r8i65dk.jpg

P1030282_zpshliidb70.jpg

P1030281_zpsyaiecr0g.jpg

P1030280_zpswkniz8dl.jpg

Stay tuned for the next project....

Edited by Sith Lord

Thanks Derek, Curro.

For some reason the thought came into my head about the scope rail - that I hadn't painted it. I was just about to pull it off and spray some black on it, then I thought should it be painted? It's been a while since I was in research mode so I looked back through quite a few of the more popular build threads and everyone did paint theirs. But again, I thought should it be painted. Looking through the blue ray screen caps in the the reference section, most shots are quite dull and blurry, hard to make out the details, except this one:

gallery_14191_18_238250_zpsyzeamrd8.jpg

More than likely this is just the light reflecting off the flat surface, but could they be left raw silver, or were they painted black along with the rest of the blaster?

Definitely painted black. If you look trough all the screencaps, you'll find a lot more pictures where it appears clearly black than pictures where it could be interpreted silver.

For example, on this picture the front section appears clearly the same black hue than the barrel, however the rear section with the lighting, and maybe the reflection from the white of the armor, appears brighter.

gallery_12157_11_422808.jpg

Yeah, I saw sleeping Luke shot. As you say most do certainly appear to be black. The one I posted is the main one that prompted me to ask... It's only 3 screws to take it off and paint.

Dude, 10 months! Did you really complain about waiting 1 month for my first update?  ;)

Seriously, it is good to see that beauty finished. I recently checked this build for some research and wondered that it was still missing the paintwork.

As a newbie here, just starting to do my research and decide where to dive into first, I have determined a few things. First off, this thread and your build is amazing. Great job! Secondly, I am scared to death that I don't have the skills to do this hobby justice. Smh...I guess we will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Brian. Yes, better late than never.....

Welcome Steve. An honour to receive your maiden post! Don't stress too much, just get stuck into it. And remember, it's only resin and plastic - any mistakes can generally be fixed with a bit of glue and putty. Good luck!

• Like 1

Really beautifull. It's something to be proud of. Somehow I like the light weathered you get on the piece, just on the scope... Sure i will be getting back to this thread once I start to build mine.<br>

Just a question... I see in one of your pictures you've used the inner barrel thing (I'm also waiting for one of those)... Once installed and painted is it noticeable through some of the barrel vent holes? Or just through the ejection port? At least it will add extra weight on the cannon area making the blaster heavier to the front, more like the real thing I guess. Anyway, you know it's there!<br>

Great job.