My AP build

bearings

I kind of have legs now, so time for some test fitting!

Notes:

• Sniper plate isn't fully attached on the sides
  • Boots need some paint on the fabric sides
  • I don't have a belt yet or neck seal yet, but I bought fabric for both.. so that should be soon!
  • Having a belt will help close up the gap on my side easily
  • No shoulder bridges attached yet
  • Shins aren't closed properly in the back
  • Back/bottom of thighs need to be cut out a bit for comfort
  • I'm wearing my ATA helmet in the pics, which has too much padding and seems slightly shorter than the AP one. Shouldn't look as weird with the AP helmet I hope! My AP helmet isn't painted yet.
  • Thinking about loosening/lengthening the elastic on my shoulders to allow the back/chest to hang a bit lower.

15590191143_cb89c8c1b3.jpg

16023944869_24a451a5f6.jpg

15587638034_85381baed4.jpg

16024227727_bce1468897.jpg

16209240432_60f3329140.jpg

16208174621_03519fd0c5.jpg

Just the unpainted heads of the original brackets Ben used to strap his armor.

Yep! They'll get painted white and some covered by the belt as well. I like the original strapping so far, need to make some small adjustments in the elastic length on the kidney/butt so it's not so tight. I shortened them because they hung too low causing a big gap, but I think I might come back the other way just a little bit. Might need to adjust the kidney/back elastic as well to close that gap a little bit more.

Thanks for all the feedback, let me know where if I goofed anything up!

It's pretty fun now that I have most of the right strapping in place, the forearm to bicep elastic and the "han hooks" really help keep things where they're supposed to be. I made a garter belt out of webbing and attached it to the thighs via black elastic, as per the originals as well (as far as I know!). I can move around most ways fairly easily, but bending over and looking down makes the chest hit my neck.

So, I wasn't super happy with my AP TD and was considering buying one from Troopermaster. Then I saw one in the for sale section and jumped on it! (Thanks Reza).

16057655608_de5cd06f4f.jpg

I'll still finish the one that came with my AP kit, but man the TM one looks so much better.

• Like 2

I agree with you, the AP detonator is kinda poor. Good call changing it.

... but man the TM one looks so much better.

And yet, i believe that's an old version of his Thermal Detonator! 

Edited by The5thHorseman

Edit: Just realized i've been wrong all the way. You indeed have the newer version of TM's thermal detonator. That version replicates the sharp pulls the original molds were doing before they deteriorate.

Edited by The5thHorseman

Today I finally started on my belt, using some white denim 4 layers thick + some interfacing for a little added regidity.

Started with the correct length (48" x 12") cut out. Folded over so that there were 4 layers, 3" wide each.

16117454680_9986a93b69.jpg

Ironed everything smooth.

16303961402_5144bec7c1.jpg

Watched my wife sew things.

15682411514_2c5b7ed742.jpg

She let me sew on the velcro at least, all done with that part!

16278895776_2e6ff7d59d.jpg

Applied some heat to get a better natural bend. Attached snaps to connect to ab plate (also attached snaps to ab plate). Riveted cloth belt to plastic ammo belt.

16117456490_478e9d3569.jpg

Currently have my rivet covers and drop boxes glued and curing.

I ordered some extra parts from Mark/AP so that I can make a second belt, I want to be able to swap between ANH and ESB looks sorta easily. My AP helmet is still unpainted, so I think I'll end up going ESB style on that one. ESB decals are on the way from trooper bay.

What's the best source for ESB style hand plates, since there aren't any available from AP?

Edited by bearings

Following roughly along with Pandatrooper's Neckseal tutorial (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8402-howto-create-a-neckseal/)

I bought some "headliner" material and through some trial and error, I ended up with an ok looking neck seal. I had to use some interfacing on the side parts, otherwise the inner material was too sticky to go through the machine without bunching up and getting weird. I cut a piece twice as tall as I needed, folded over at the top and sewed up the sides, then flipped the whole thing inside out to hide the interfacing. Lots of straight lines were sewed and then I attached to an old black t-shirt to create the bib.

16171179879_3dd454ebc5.jpg

16355644261_f6cb074e1d.jpg

16331434986_c905723f6f.jpg

Next thing on my list was to finish up the sniper plate attachment. I recently discovered Sugru, which is stuff that you can mold like putty and then after 24 hours it cures into rubber. It sticks really well to ABS plastic too! So, I figured I'd jam some Sugru into the sniper plate gap to make it hold better.

16171511277_d2efb117b2.jpg

16355654791_fa2d6dc665.jpg

As you can see, I'm also getting my shin hooks glued in place today.

Another great place I found to use Sugru is attaching the green lenses to the inside of the helmet. It's not pretty, but I think this will work!

16356520292_e079782a3f.jpg

16355655381_d7920b79a3.jpg

Looking good so far

You'll need another holster if you do a ESB version too, black looped straps on the right side ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13

Looking good so far

You'll need another holster if you do a ESB version too, black looped straps on the right side  ;)

Yep, thanks for the heads up Q! I got a holster with black loops with my AP kit that I plan to use for the ESB version.

Neat job, as always.

Have you found someone for the ESB handguards?

Not yet, but I understand that ATA and TM might have them. I'm going to do my best to focus on the ANH build first, very close now!

Speaking of that, my plan was to do the AP helmet in ESB style.. but I'm not sure the ATA helmet looks right on me with armor on. I guess I have a long neck, but I don't want to look like a bobble head if I can help it.. seems that the AP helmet looks better.

Here are 2 pics for comparison, unpainted is AP and the painted one is ATA.

16177971807_98347f1d4c.jpg16362122041_6dc8ae5725.jpg

Do you have any padding on top of your head? If so, try to remove it completely. You don't really need padding here and it will bring the helmet down on you..

Nope, no padding at all right now.. I'll see if I can work on improving my posture or shortening my neck :)

I just finished re-doing my shin elastics, this time with size 3 hook-and-eyes instead of size 2. I had a hell of a time trying to get them on and off with size 2.. this should be better. I also think I'm going to make some inner elastic stirrups to keep my shins from popping off of my boots.

looking great! now hurry up! lol! 

I'm slow, I know.. I know. Almost there.. I think I might be ready to send in my application after today.

If we had a CRL for the Darth Aloha style trooper-in-shorts I'd be all over it! Perfect for hot days in Florida:

16395271396_a3b2e58248.jpg

• 2 weeks later...