Altair's MTK ANH Stunt Build

Altair

Outstanding paint work on the helmet. I like to outline like you! Great work. I would extend the frown a bit. End at the 5th tooth indent then continue past to the pointed end

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/2246-anhstuntfrown1/

Thanks troops!

Several members in my local Garrison have said you can't hear the velcro. So all good.

@Gazmosis - I was debating with myself on how far I should paint the frown. I know reference pics show it slightly further but I also think the shorter frown look neater. Oh the decisions! Stopping short at least I can extend easily :)

Since I have been doing all the sewing at my place ;) I thought I would help out with the ironing... well at least using the iron to shape some ABS :)

Taking another page out of "Redback BIDS Book of Strapping", this time for the shoulder bells.

Instead of using glue to attach elastic straps to the shoulder bell, I made up some hooks out of ABS to hold my elastic straps to the shoulder bell and will attach using snap plates. This way the elastic strap can easily be removed/replaced if required.

First I cut up some strips of ABS 15mm wide

Fk8GOBD.jpg

I decided to use 1inch elastic and as luck would have it my handy metal ruler is 1inch wide

vwVVSXT.jpg

I used an iron to heat up the plastic and then I used the ruler and shaped the plastic over the edges

lZudux0.jpg

I then scuffed up the inside surface of my shoulder bells with sandpaper and glued my hooks and snaps plates in

drMLLUC.jpg

Here it is with the strap installed

33ICgdE.jpg

Whilst I had the iron out melting plastic, I decided to whip up some hooks for the biceps following this guide here for measurements: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/37-howto-create-a-bicep-strap-hook/

760BsaR.jpg

I used the edge of the iron to heat on the marked lines and form an initial bend

sJOyR2r.jpg

Once I had an initial bend I rolled the edge on the iron to heat up again and further bend into place

BfYp4cf.jpg

Finished product

FMCS4me.jpg

Do you know what time it is? It's Zap-A-Gap time!

IjEMGgZ.jpg

Here are my forearms assembled, using cover strip method of course ;)

sQEuFFc.jpg

Now a top view... I ended up trimming the right forearm a little more to get it shaped more like the left forearm for consistency

y9PRHc0.jpg

I posted a pic earlier showing the difference in size/shape between the biceps with the MTK kit, the left it much wider and more oval shaped. To improve on this I gave the left bicep a bath in hot water using a pvc coupling inside the bicep to form a more round shape and trimmed it down further...

VNl5vMG.jpg

Here it is now, I haven't glued the left yet...

UQiQPHS.jpg

It is still a little bigger and slightly oval shaped but much better I think

Axq9B5z.jpg

Its coming together now :)

Right side

LU3gpfS.jpg

Left side

yIAzmGS.jpg

What do people think so far? Any suggestions?

EbQt0Xv.jpg

Go the Zappa gaaap, I think it's now the staple in the Redback Garisson, I can't think of any recent builds we've had that have used E6000.

Just make sure you double and triple check everything before you put the two surfaces together. Keep up the good work John, Supa Nova is approaching .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TK thermal detonator is now done, finally assembled this morning after I got some 5mm pan head slotted bolts yesterday. I initially tried making my own by putting green stuff in phillips head bolts and filing out a single slot... I was about to use these but turns out there was a fasteners supply shop across the road from work this whole time.. doh!

2inch pipe

TL9Agxk.jpg

Gave it a quick sand prior to first coat of paint

h8P4zHS.jpg

Paint time

PpmDwZe.jpg

I ended up doing a few coats, sanding lightly in between each one

And here we are all assembled, with the white control panel pad facing upwards and the round washer detail closest to the right end cap. Total length is approx 7.5 inch

6evngyA.jpg

4MGCf5G.jpg

5mm pan head slotted bolts, painted black

3TCvJLm.jpg

Another choice build from the mighty Redback Garrison. Great work so far Johnny.

Edited by Sly11

Cheers guys! The feedback gives me more motivation to work done :)

Armed with super glue I attacked the shins today!

kLvEjwx.jpg

I used 20mm cover strips on the front

y9iF7W5.jpg

I'm going to cut up some more strips and put a strip inside the shins for extra strength

GbTiuKg.jpg

Whilst I had the glue out, I decided to zap-a-gap my rubber hand guards to my black chemical gloves

2mcEnuB.jpg

These will be put aside for when I apply for Centurion status :)

phnKoNH.jpg

I've got another pair of gloves (nomex) which will be my regular trooping gloves... What do most people do for attaching the plastic hand guards? Velcro to the glove? Or Elastic strapping around the hand & wrist?

I've got another pair of gloves (nomex) which will be my regular trooping gloves... What do most people do for attaching the plastic hand guards? Velcro to the glove? Or Elastic strapping around the hand & wrist?

Most folks use their Centurion gloves :P !

Personally i would feel more secure with the elastic loops around wrist and palm rather than velcro. Handplates are easy to get knocked off, grabbed...
Edited by The5thHorseman

You'd have to be hardcore to wear the chem gloves summer time in Australia!

Thanks Germain, good to know.

That's all I've got, and we get some pretty serious mid 30 degree days here in Canberra.

Yeah, but the Queensland humidity is pretty harsh, and this summer has been shocking. No one in Brissy or further north troops in chem gloves.

As Andrew said, the humidity is a killer and wearing chem gloves would be uncomfortable.

So...... I did a little bit of work today on my ABS set of hand guards. I thought I would be different and instead of attaching them directly to my nomex gloves with velcro, I made up some wrist straps for them to be attached to :)

50mm webbing and the loop velcro, hot-glued and stitched together, then super glued into the hand plate.  

HZMKy2j.jpg

For the wrist strap I used 50mm elastic, attached the hook velcro, and added a wrist and palm strap using 25mm elastic

u6y87Mv.jpg

Here it is fitted

TNHEDKE.jpg

Then the hand guard just sticks on top

1LYL66M.jpg

Give me 5!

fzSguNe.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a month since my last update :( ... so had to get back into it this weekend. Big thanks to fellow Redback Garrison members (Cyclops and Sly) for helping size up my shins + thighs and also check over the work I've done thus far :)

And now some more progress pics!

For the front of the thighs I used 20mm cover strips

s6FPmW5.jpg

Here are both thigh pieces, not enclosed in the back... yet

xC44DQq.jpg

For the rear cover strips, I was planning to use 25mm cover strips, but turned out I needed a little extra room so had to make these 35mm

bSjzxjb.jpg

1F8Iuyp.jpg

I also glued some cover strips on the inside for extra strength

cyfndoJ.jpg

To accommodate the ridges, these were heated up and bent them into shape

lXKXHJU.jpg

Inside strips have also been added to the shins!

tVqB5iO.jpg

Continued with 35mm cover strips on the back of the shins for consistency.

2mtdfOJ.jpg

Then added some velcro to close the back of the shins. I made sure that the velcro'd side of the cover strip is on the side of the leg!

MICZu4F.jpg

A quick test fit :eyebrows:

x286RtN.jpg

Looks awesome John, had fun helping out yesterday, getting closer and closer to completion

Getting there, slowly but surely :)

Tonight I glued on the sniper knee plate to the left shin, aligned with the ridges on the shin. It went on fairly straight.

f5lhjdw.jpg

hs0hSse.jpg

Do you think the return edge on the plate needs to be a little thinner?

I've started assembling the belt now.

Holes drilled and corners of the plastic ammo belt trimmed at a 45 degree angle (1/2 inch).

nWzhztJ.jpg

To attach the ammo pack to the canvas belt I decided to use chicago screws (3.5mm). This way I can remove it and wash the canvas belt if it gets dirty.

Gv8iygS.jpg

To attach my drop boxes, I sewed up some straps to loop around the belt using 1inch wide high density elastic.

lL3hwhx.jpg

To ensure that the drop boxes are vertically aligned with the end of the ammo belt, I had to cut a notch into the side of the straps to work around the screws on the belt. I sealed this edge with a flame to prevent fraying.

SzAWi8h.jpg

Belt starting to come together now :) Drop boxes have minimal gap between belt and box.  (looks a bit yellow in the pic due to bad lighting)

78MhjoN.jpg

I've only attached the drop boxes to the straps with 1 x fastener but might add another (or maybe some velcro?) to keep it straight on the strap... What have others done here? I believe there was only one rivet on the originals?

VzfOymI.jpg

• Like 1