Altair's MTK ANH Stunt Build

Altair

Well it's finally happening! I've been talking about doing this for years, the wife has given me the green light and now its go time! This is my first TK build and I decided to go with MTK for ANH Stunt build. Thanks to Mike, communication has been good and he shipped super quick! I had my kit in about a week from placing an order and it had to be shipped to Australia.

To my fellow troopers, your comments and suggestions are most welcome as I would like to build to centurion level, so thanks in advance :)

Now on to some pics!

ZQLgIyR.jpg

2rIPIVz.jpg

ao4zmd0.jpg

XCM6Dwz.jpg

I decided to start trimming the forearms first as they seemed the most straight forward. Mike's videos on trooperbay made me a little less nervous about cutting into my new shiny armor.

UJg4P33.jpg

The return edge has been removed.

VX8wTic.jpg

oaLRei3.jpg

Left and Right forearms tapped together to test sizing.

fg2N9kf.jpg

What I did notice is that the right forearm is noticeably larger than the left. I have read this is other threads and also checked with Mike, this is how it is with this kit.

A0sI8vM.jpg

According to the CRL (http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt), no return edge on the inside of the front of the forearm is allowed.

Does it matter that the return edge at the back of the forearm is removed?

Hey John and welcome to the MTK family.  There are a handful of excellent build threads on here using MTK.  Many of the questions you will have are located within those build threads. 

Yeah its too bad I couldn't get to this build thread when you started it.  I would have told you about the forearms and to leave a little more on the left.  It is a tight squeeze for sure and I have to put my gloves on after I get the forearms on.

You do not need a return edge at the elbow end of the forearm.  Especially if you are going to follow Mikes videos and use the elastic to hold it to the bicep.  I strongly recommend watching his videos over and over again and use them as a guide.  You may have to make some changes to the way he does things to accomodate your body.

The most important part is to have fun while doing this.  Take it slow and research and then after that do more research. 

Like I said, you can find many answers to any questions in Ian's (Sithlord) MTK ANH build thread and Adam's (Toybiz) ESB build thread.  Adam has a great idea on how to tackle the size of the biceps :duim:

Good Luck

• Like 1

Hey John and welcome to the MTK family.  There are a handful of excellent build threads on here using MTK.  Many of the questions you will have are located within those build threads. 

Yeah its too bad I couldn't get to this build thread when you started it.  I would have told you about the forearms and to leave a little more on the left.  It is a tight squeeze for sure and I have to put my gloves on after I get the forearms on.

You do not need a return edge at the elbow end of the forearm.  Especially if you are going to follow Mikes videos and use the elastic to hold it to the bicep.  I strongly recommend watching his videos over and over again and use them as a guide.  You may have to make some changes to the way he does things to accomodate your body.

The most important part is to have fun while doing this.  Take it slow and research and then after that do more research. 

Like I said, you can find many answers to any questions in Ian's (Sithlord) MTK ANH build thread and Adam's (Toybiz) ESB build thread.  Adam has a great idea on how to tackle the size of the biceps :duim:

Good Luck

I'm taking alllll this advice to heart - just got my AP kit and even after researching for months I let my excitement get the better of me and dove into trimming - taking a step back to make sure things are done following the years of advice out there!

Welcome John from the other side of the equator!

I too choose MTK as my first set and honestly how a set of armor appears in the end depends on the diligence of the builder. Buying a set of the most expensive armor vs. the least doesn't guarantee how it will look in the end.

As StarSabre shared, research, measure, research, measure then cut. Fit ( with your under suit), trim if necessary then fit again before gluing.

Which glue are you planning to use? I would recommend E6000 and maybe something more permanent only on areas that you know you won't be readjusting like the front of your thighs or shins. This is after you fitted them right? :)

We are here for support but remember skills you learn will earn you memories that will be yours to keep.

Enjoy the journey my friend!

Adam

Thanks troops.

@starsaber25 - No worries Steve, I can get the left forearm on fine, its just the right is quite loose. I can trim it down a little more but don't want to loose the ridge. I have also seen others putting foam inserts inside the right forearm to hold it in place, so that might be an idea?

@toybiz - Adam, I've checked out your build thread, I think I will try to bath the left bicep! Your build thread is a great reference for me. I haven't got any E6000 as I cant find it locally, so I might have to order some.

Welcome John. What part of this wide brown land do you hail from?

The MTK kit is a great choice (not that you can do much about it now anyway, LOL). It goes together quite well, although I did give a few parts a dip in the hot tub - shins, forearms, biceps. I got my E6000 from Trooperbay (Mike) when I ordered a few other things from him.

With such a good looking kit, you may as well build to Centurion, as you say. It doesn't really take that much extra effort. Have you decided on your strapping system yet?

Keep up the progress. Plenty of research, plenty of questions.....

Hey Ian, I'm in Brisbane, so I will be looking to join the ranks of the Redback Garrison once I have completed my build.

I haven't decided on a strapping system yet, any recommendations here?

Had a little time up my sleeve today so some rough trimming of the biceps and shoulder bells.

F8V4qu3.jpg

I'll have to work that left bicep with a hot water bath me thinks.

RcJQe17.jpg

EjPGNcb.jpg

Hey Ian, I'm in Brisbane, so I will be looking to join the ranks of the Redback Garrison once I have completed my build.

I haven't decided on a strapping system yet, any recommendations here?

I wouldn't recommend one way or the other, but it went for the strapping/snaps/e6000 system purely because that the way most people seem to do it. Plenty of people do seem to do the wire brackets though. Others will have to chime in as to the practicality and longevity of that system though....

Make sure you join up to the garrison, at least their forums, straight away. Plenty of knowledge can be had by meeting locals, attending armor parties and hearing of any local best practices.

Hey John, how was the Indooroopilly troop today?

I would trim some more of the return edge off the shoulder bell, it doesn't need much. Here in Brisvegas, most of the builds these days are using CA glue (Zappa gap) you just need to make sure everything is where you want it before you put the parts together, but have a chat to Petros on the RBG forum as he is using E6000 and yes he got it from Trooperbay.

Your progress is looking good, don't be scared to give me a call if you need some help, just PM me and I will give you my number. troopers helping Troopers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers everyone, your feedback is most welcome :)

@Sly11 - Sadly no 501st characters @ Indooroopilly, we only had the D2L guys. Next year will be different, I will definitely have this TK in working order by then! Unless there is something wrong with me?!

Another day, more parts to trim!

auJkKx5.jpg

Is there an official ruling on how thick the drop boxes are supposed to be?

naQzmXC.jpg

One down, three to go...

JouceXC.jpg

And done!

GlZzMl4.jpg

Just remembered, Scope's drop boxes are held together with magnets, but he is worried they may come apart to easily if he put cash or something in them, he plans to change them at some stage but not sure what he is going to use.

Moving onto trimming the thermal detonator end caps. Marked the pieces using the same method I used for the shoulder bells, thanks to Trooperbay videos!

1ytWu9X.jpg

I've trimmed as close to where is flares out at the bottom, which left me 16-17mm.

3hedguG.jpg

lzci0Q7.jpg

If you want to remove the last little lip, you can do two things.

Dremmel cautiously, or a good sized piece of course sandpaper on a flat surface and sand away holding the end cap in your hand and rubbing back and fourth.

I had the same issue as I am sure many do.

Cheers, mate. I think i'll go with the flat surface approach to clean these up, I don't think my hands are too steady.

I've also reduced the drop boxes to 15mm. Still need to finish them off with some sanding as well.

aXWvV4E.jpg

Hey John you are certainly moving along quickly.  For my dropboxes I went with 13mm.  I think I cut them down to roughly 15mm and then did what Andrew said and I laid down some sandpaper and rubbed the boxes on it to get them all even which brought me down to 13mm.

You can check my MTK build thread and I have most measurements put in there if you have any questions.  Also this link can be VERY helpful...

http://s405.photobucket.com/user/Billhag/library/TK%20Armour%20Help?sort=3&page=1

• Like 3

Keep up great work John! With each cut you gain valuable experience and confidence. Everyone who has completed a set will tell you how much easier a second set would come together and things they would do differently.

Have you decided on the strapping system yet? Every choice has its pro's and con's. I went with elastics and snaps so that my armor can be broken down into it sections for more compact travel.

Good luck and keep researching, remember to wear your under suit when fitting and take your time.