Snap Question

So, I'm getting ready for actual putting together of the armor and have started getting my snaps ready. My first thought was to attach the snaps to ABS pieces and glue them to the amor. This seems fairly common. But the snap is a fraction of a mm proud of the ABS so will hit the armor. Too keep the metal snap away I thought I would heat and bend the ABS plate.

Washer underneath, Heat

9q7gHi9.jpg

Push down with custom 'pusher downer'

ukaLc0b.jpg

It worked

lwxVnw3.jpg

but now the snap spins in the ABS plate. I've obviously flattened the ABS section close to the hole. Will that be a problem if the snap spins when it's in the armor?

Or should I attach a seconday plate to raise the snap up?

kLdGHFw.jpg

bKsn8t7.jpg

(Sorry for heap of pics)

Either works fine, I used the top method and have not had a problem. Try to keep glue away from the snaps as sometimes they can heat up and distort your armor

Can anyone explain the benefits of doing these snap plates as opposed to gluing piece of nylon wrapping straight on to the armor? I tried it on a piece of ABS and had no problem. I even put on extra much E6000 to see if it would warp or anything.

p16L3fol.jpg

What about putting a piece of painter's tape on the side of the snap that touches the ABS?  Would that be sufficient enough to keep glue away from it and keep the snap from touching the ABS itself?

I don't buy in to this E-6000 melts plastic when touching metal. Only Vern has said it does and he never showed any proof of it. I or no one else I remember has seen it. It been debated to length before.

In other words, keep calm and finish your armour.

• Like 1

I have a verification of truth to this but it was not on ABS it was on HIPS. Perhaps ABS can just withstand more or the plastic has different characteristics that makes it resistant.

I still use rivets on my snap plates instead of the ones that come with the snaps. Way more surface area for gluing, just tap the back with a hammer and hammer the inside of the snap / rivet end and it sandwiches tight and the back goes concave, making a flush surface for gluing.

I've built several sets of armor this way and never had a failure. Or if your armor has return edges that can take it, use the screen accurate wire brackets / elastic.

I still use rivets on my snap plates instead of the ones that come with the snaps. Way more surface area for gluing, just tap the back with a hammer and hammer the inside of the snap / rivet end and it sandwiches tight and the back goes concave, making a flush surface for gluing.

Do you have a picture of that setup that you can post?