To inner strip or not to inner strip? That is my question..

OK so I've just received my RS armour and bucket and haven't stopped smiling yet. I trimmed the butt plate to get used to the feel of the lexan scissors then started on the biceps.

I've trimmed, fitted and taped them up and they fit a little snug, as I work out and have been blessed with guns, but I'm working on the premise that I can leave a 5mm gap that the cover strip will hide.

Now I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I need to add a cover strip inside too or if it's only supposed to go on the outer part. The RS has butt joins so I may lose overall internal diameter and make it more uncomfortable. Do I need to do this for strength or screen accuracy or just go with outers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping in mind that I haven't built any armor yet, it is a fairly common practice to use inner strips. 

I fully intend to use them for my build in the next few months.  It adds strength to the joint, and makes for a more solid build overall.

I did not use inner strips on my biceps or forearms.  Once they were glued together with the outer strips, they both became very solid.

I am using inner strips for the fronts of my shins and thighs, because those take a lot more stress than the biceps and forearms do.  Biceps / Forearms just kind of hang on your arms and you're not doing much bending and flexing with them.  Thighs and shins are constantly moving and getting your legs pushing on them as you're walking around.

Edited by maxsteele

I have a suit built by RS and they did not use backing strips. I also have another built by TM, and he did not use backing strips. He did however place a few pieces in key locations as alignment tabs , and they all feel very secure.

I am thinking of adding a bit of reinforcement of my own on both kits to the thighs and calfs, just to be safe.

5 mm gap, the cover strips are 15mm so, I would say a backing strip would be a good idea.

Edited by Cantina Security

I left the inside strips off until completing a couple of troops just to be sure of the fitting. by the sixth troop a forearm popped open while stretching to adjust my helmet. now I am adding strips inside. it all depends on how well the seam was glued the first time (proper surface prep, glue coverage) and how much movement/stress you require.

In many places on the armor, inner strips actually sit in recesses taking nothing away from inside diameters. I realize that RS has no recesses on the backside of many parts but an inside strip in these locations is made of a strip of plastic that is about a millimeter thick so that doesn;t take up much room. The only reason you wouldn't want them is for ultimate screen accuracy because they weren't used on the original costumes.