Barcoder’s ANH Stunt Beginner build (TE2/AP Variant?-CTM)

Side topic - I tried my hand at Pandatrooper's tutorial on getting a good bend on your belt using a heat gun....

IMG_2956_zps01a5df80.jpg

It did not go well...

I think there are too many varying thicknesses around the corners and the base. Before the base got even close to being able to bend, the inside walls of the boxes started to warp, slightly... That was my cue to stop & step away from the heat gun. Maybe I'll deal with that another time...and another way?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YIPEE! First partial fitting of the armour. (I may or may not have squealed)      *Sorry for the crap resolution - couldn't find the actual camera*

IMG_2962_zps86c42aaf.jpgIMG_2971_zps5c471128.jpgIMG_2972_zps260ef1e8.jpg

I hate the gloves & will be going with the Nomex flightgloves... The strapping I made is a little big for these gloves and as a result, they don't sit where the should. (I think they should be higher up a bit.)

I am open to some advise on fitting, or if there are glaring issues I am failing to see...

The belt & shins finally finished setting. Time for a full length pic!

DSCN1850_zps436f4e96.jpg

-Shins are a little difficult to close with the hooks...without a lot of effort. Have to work on that.... (But they fit nicely!)

-Waiting on some split rivets to close the sides and do the crotch strapping...

-Need to attach the shoulder straps, sniper knee and ammo belt...

-Still not sure how I will hold up the thighs. Unsure about garter system of attaching right to the ab section with snaps... Must do more research....

-Need to glue on the ab button plates....

I just made a simple belt sewn with a wide elastic for each leg. They are secured with a pair of snaps on the thighs. That way you put your thighs and belt on first and it is very secure. I'd be reluctant to snap directly to the ab. Of course the original strapping employed a belt with straps directly glued to the thighs....

I just made a simple belt sewn with a wide elastic for each leg. They are secured with a pair of snaps on the thighs. That way you put your thighs and belt on first and it is very secure. I'd be reluctant to snap directly to the ab. Of course the original strapping employed a belt with straps directly glued to the thighs....

Hmm, that was my original plan...just a belt system. Maybe I'll stick to that plan. Thanks! :)

I quickly noticed a few oddities about this armour...and probably the way it was cast? There are numerous indents or divots around sharper points. It is most noticeable on the knee ammo belt.

45_zpsdace7d89.jpg

Is this due to unskilled vacu-forming? How prevalent is this occurrence on other armour types?

I am curious if ABS paste could be used to fix these...

The holes are to big on the molds ...thats why you see them

Finally completed the belt.

IMG_2988_zpsc358916d.jpg

I have been fighting with the sniper plate... I got it to sit straight from the front view... As a result, the left side is a little wonky & a bit off...

IMG_3001_zpsa6d08d06.jpgIMG_3004_zps855ed849.jpg

However, with a little elbow grease and maybe a heat gun, it should line up where I'd like it to sit...

IMG_3005_zpsa8aa4f9a.jpg

I was right in the middle of working on the side rivets, thigh garter & reinforcing the butt joints....but life has other plans for me... 

Since it's Star Wars related, I thought I'd share... I have started work on a 3 ft. long, custom Styrofoam carving of the Millennium Falcon for a client. This will be a fun commission! :)

IMG_3018_zps782d5927.jpg

However, with a little elbow grease and maybe a heat gun, it should line up where I'd like it to sit...

You can put it in hot water. I think it's safer that a heat gun.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo

You can put it in hot water. I think it's safer that a heat gun.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, agreed. I think the heat gun gives me anxiety. lol.  I have visions of the ABS just suddenly melting & warping out of control....

Yeah, it's crazy how soft the ABS can get! I have used my heat gun more than a few times already, but it always makes me incredibly nervous. I am thinking I should give the "hot water" method a try when I do my shoulder straps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Christmas holidays, there was little done on my build lately.... However, I did squeeze in a few things....

Started gluing the strips on the inside of the thighs. (Now I can finally get the snaps in place for the harness.)

IMG_3031_zpsc64cd4b6.jpg

Did some bending on my ammo knee belt with the heat gun. (Less anxiety this time around.) I was able to get a pretty close match to the shape. :)

IMG_3029_zpsecf51742.jpgIMG_3041_zps1ea83381.jpg

Again, the brown packing tape came in handy to help hold the shape while it cooled off.

I do believe I won my battle against the sniper plate.....barely. I am not 100% happy with it, but I will deal with it later.

IMG_3119_zpsb7f6cdbb.jpgIMG_3118_zps666ec8d9.jpgIMG_3120_zps5ad9b5c9.jpg

Due to re-cast, the thicker ABS of the sniper plate is a pain to work with...

Upon my return from holidays, 4 surprises awaited me...

...Split & Cap rivets via Echo. (Yipee! I can finally close the Ab section & attach the ammo belt.)

...Nomex flight gloves arrived & fit perfectly! (Great deal at camouflage.ca)

...unassembled holster via Darman. (Looks awesome!)

...& my E11 kit from DoopyDoo's finally made it from the UK. (No damage/all intact.) I am really looking forward to building my own blaster!

IMG_3137_zpscda1d14f.jpg

More progress soon!

Edited by Barcoder