Barcoder’s ANH Stunt Beginner build (TE2/AP Variant?-CTM)

Thighs & shins are partially assembled..

IMG_2905_zps848cdc3e.jpg

Had a bit of a hiccup with the back of the left thigh. It looks as if it should use the over-lap method. With some advice from other troopers, I am confidant it will come together fine.

IMG_2896_zpsc8f4539c.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as I had time to kill while waiting for glue to set, I have begun working on the strapping system. After reading posts all day, I am still not sure how a few pieces will work... 

Did the strapping for the back & chest pieces...

IMG_2908_zps8cc9cac3.jpgIMG_2907_zps33cc179a.jpg

Started laying out snap plate positions on the back sections....

IMG_2901_zps0849398f.jpg

Glued the 2nd set of snap plates on the shoulder bells...

IMG_2903_zpse2641960.jpg

My first try at snap sections for the back section. I used the ribbed elastic for more durability? We shall see how they actual hold up... I expect a lot of trial & error during the first actual fitting.

IMG_2906_zps8ba97346.jpg

YAY! The arms are completely assembled and fitting is done! Strapping system is next on the list... I can't wait to try these on. (Finally starting to feel a sense of accomplishment & results.)

IMG_2904_zpsea733afa.jpg

Oh yeah, and I sewed the belt today. Surprisingly, it was trickier than I thought it would have been.... I have left the ends open as I am not sure of the actual length yet. (and I have yet to insert plastic to support the holster?)

IMG_2909_zpse341c304.jpg

Well, today turned out to be a sewing day.... Thought I would take a crack at the neck seal... (Plus, I think I need a break from the E6000. Nasty stuff. lol)

I found some textured faux-leather material and thought it could work (They had stuff with no texture but it was much thicker.)... I started by cutting up a bunch of 1 1/4 " strips to make the ribs...

IMG_2911_zpsc1879514.jpgIMG_2912_zps9a5c44ad.jpg

I then folded them in half and sewed them up... (Each rib was less than 1/2 "?) Then I sewed them on to my template for the neck seal. I over lapped the ribs as I sewed each layer...

IMG_2913_zpsd32d22f5.jpgIMG_2914_zps8af5f31f.jpg

Once the ribs were finished I pinned and then sewed the stretch satin backing for around the neck. Stretch satin is much easier to sew than some of the other silky fabrics; it doesn't fray as much.

IMG_2915_zps849581ea.jpgIMG_2916_zps16ec2505.jpg

And here is the result so far! (Sizing was quite the process...lots of trial & error) I am not looking forward to the bib attachment & zipper...

IMG_2918_zpsfcb88872.jpg

Finally finished the neck seal... Wow, that was quite the process. Not sure I want to go through that again...

However, it turned out not bad. A little rough around the zipper, but hey, I've never sewed a zipper on before. :)

IMG_2923_zpsf3290c77.jpgIMG_2924_zps2500a621.jpg

The internal strapping for the arms is complete. The left shoulder bell feels a little tight around the top of the bicep. Might have to work on that later...

IMG_2929_zps8055673e.jpgIMG_2927_zps6561417e.jpg

Internal strapping for the back section is done. After an adjustment to the back plate snap length, it fits pretty good. I will post a pic of it on once the front section is done setting. Still trying to figure out the length of strap to join the chest to the ab section.... Trail & error I guess?

IMG_2925_zps81d25b14.jpg

So, I found these gloves today... I am not sure if they will work for basic approval? They have a shiny rubber-like coating on the top...

IMG_2932_zpsea1138cf.jpgIMG_2933_zpsc5630fcf.jpg

They were only $2.99 a pair at Army & Navy. I figured it was worth a shot?

Wow. Way to make some imperial lemonade out of your armor lemons.

Looks like you're having fun too. Keep at it!

-Eric

Thank you so much! It's great to get some positive reinforcement. :) And yes, I am having SO much fun!

Nice stitching on the neck seal, very impressive fabrication. You are coming along nicely...

Thank you very much. Mandatory sewing class in Junior High has proved very useful over the years. lol

Impressive and inspiring! Good work!

:) I look forward to hearing about your build soon.

So, I have finally dealt with the issue I was having with the left thigh...and I am happy with it now.

This what I was left to work with after gluing....                                                        ...and this what I ended up with. Now it looks like the other side.   

IMG_2939_zpsb57d3aa6.jpgIMG_2945_zps12fa952f.jpg

Finally got around to the strapping for the chest & ab section. Not as much of a fitting nightmare as I expected....

IMG_2941_zps9659fcf9.jpg

The parts I were dreading the most were the shins....They are currently gluing but I think they will work our nicely. I will be using the hook method on the back; Velcro just seems to bulky.

IMG_2940_zpsc9358d86.jpg

Side note - industrial brown packing tape (the paper type) has been amazing for helping to hold things together while gluing. Good lord, that stuff holds tight! I recommend it.

...and some of the snaps for the belt are in place...

IMG_2943_zpsa51d4a69.jpg

I had forgotten how much hand-sewing sucks... I had to adjust the placement of the female snaps 3 times to get the placement right for the shoulder bells. Too much tension pulled the shoulder straps & caused some buckling....

IMG_2938_zpsf13ad80d.jpgIMG_2937_zps59092624.jpg

I love how the white thread on the black snap kinda looks like the Imperial cog...

Speaking of Imperial cogs.... I have made some vinyl markers for left & right pieces of armour. I was tired of looking at pieces of tape on my armour. lol

IMG_2942_zps4ace6890.jpg

I'm really digging your imperial logos, where did you find those?

Thanks! I thought they turned out pretty cool too! I actually made them myself. I do a lot of work with "geeky" vinyl & stuff as a side business. 

Alrighty. Drop boxes. I had a issue with them. lol The ones I had wouldn't fit inside each other (Very thick ABS). So I solved the problem by cutting the sides off one pair and used the tops to close off the other 2. I just stacked pieces of discarded ABS inside up to the level I needed.

IMG_2948_zps95e5f31a.jpg

I installed the snaps on the butt plate, but had an issue. The back of the snap wouldn't close over the male snap...probably due to the thicker ABS. Solved that issue by gluing in a separate snap plate....

IMG_2953_zpscedcb154.jpgIMG_2954_zps658846d5.jpg

Tried my hand at Pandatroope'rs tutorial for making handguard strapping. Wasn't as quick as I first thought.... But I think they turned out very well. I like the fact I'll be able to swap out gloves with zero hassle!

IMG_2952_zps25a0c7cf.jpg

Side note - Pandatrooper makes everything look effortless & perfect....I am in awe.

Have I mentioned I hate hand-sewing? (I think i did.) "Check twice, sew once!"

I had to redo all 6 of my shin hook straps, as I sewed them facing the wrong side... I have marked out the holes I think will work the best. The ended up being different for each shin. as you can see, one naturally closes more than the other... I tried to position each hole/hook so that it provide the maximum closure based on the gaps and the tension? (I am totally guessing here so I will let you know how it works out.)

IMG_2950_zpse0ca6158.jpg

The next step makes me nervous.... lol 

Well, the shins worked out well. I discovered I had bought size #2 hooks when I should have gotten #3. Oh well, they worked.

I ended up taping the shins closed to help with the proper alignment of the hooks and elastics.

IMG_2960_zps538249c2.jpgIMG_2958_zps5fa44b31.jpgIMG_2959_zps7fa8d0df.jpg

Before securing the elastics, in place, I stretched them to an adequate tension to hold the side together tight. (I hoped) I then snapped the magnet in place. Turns out I was right. :) They close beautifully! 

I have added the back cover strip last; I would have found them annoying while dealing with the elastics.

IMG_2982_zps5698c397.jpgIMG_2983_zps41994a28.jpg

Side note - In hindsight I should have gotten more magnets, but they are a little expensive. I have made it work with only 9 of them....but I have been working slowly. Thank God for clamps of various sizes. I think I have about 40 of them now. Canadian Tire had bags of 14 on sale for $11.00. Get them on sale.

Edited by Barcoder

Almost finished the belt. That was more stressful than I imagined it would be... Getting the snaps lined up on the armour was stressful...to say nothing of drilling through the ab plate! I reinforced the back of the rivets I put through the ab section with plates of styrene. (Was scared of cracking/snapping the armour with rivet tool.) I also debated just gluing snap plates to the armour but figured they would cause the belt itself to not sit very close to the actual armour. The layers of snap connections really adds extra width...

IMG_2961_zps6d381347.jpgIMG_2957_zps612c1d27.jpg

Final step is gluing on the square buttons!

IMG_2981_zps53878eef.jpg

Side note - I learned that the drop boxes must be fully closed, without using just a back panel...if you are planning on Centurion. I am shooting for EIB, but building to Centurion standards. (Seeing as my armour is recast/soft details, I don't think it would be a good representation of the top award. So, I can let the drop box issue slide.)