Maxsteele's New NE Armor Build

maxsteele

Now that I have the snap plates installed in the chest / back area, I need to make the elastic straps.  What I'm wondering though - how do you determine the correct length to make each strap?  If I make the strap too long, then the chest and back will sit lower than they should.  If I make the strap too short, the chest and back will sit higher.  The thing about that all is - each strap takes 4 male snaps.  If I need to adjust the strap length, then that strap is useless, wasting 4 snaps.

Does anyone have any tips on how to determine the best length for chest-to-back elastic lengths without wasting snaps on strapping that is too long / short ?

You can always have one half of the straps glued on and the other end utilize the snaps. That way it allows the armor to be broken down for transportation, but if you have too much slack, you could rip up the glued end and tighten it and re glue. No need to have all ends of the straps be held with snaps. I learned that about halfway through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may want to double the elastic on those straps, so they won't stretch so much.  I went through quite a few snaps on my suit.  Get extra snaps, you will need them down the line to make adjustments.

You may want to double the elastic on those straps, so they won't stretch so much. I went through quite a few snaps on my suit. Get extra snaps, you will need them down the line to make adjustments.

I doubled over my white elastic and added on lines of E6000. My straps don't stretch too much. I winged it as far as length and it fits me well.

I glued down all the ends permanently. I wish I did have one snap at least on the rear right side. I'll do that eventually to make it easier to put on.

I'm strapping my NE with the brackets so everything lines up well too.

Edited by Clonecollector

Well, I guess it's just trial and error then....

Jonathan - thanks for the suggestion!  I do like the idea of having the straps completely adjustable with snaps, so I'll probably just stick with that method.  It certainly does make adjustments a little pricey with having to re-attach snaps if you want to change them.

Nick - I'm definitely going to double the elastic for the chest / back straps.  The white elastic I have is think and doubling it up will give some extra strength.

Paul - Wow - you glued your doubled elastic over?  It almost seems like you turned your elastic into webbing.  :)  Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to wing it when it comes to length of the straps.  I was hoping someone had a system where they're able to determine the length of the back-to-chest straps.  No such luck, it seems.

My build has been on hold for about 3 weeks until I could get over to a mates house so he could hold up the chest/back on me and measure the exact distance for the straps. Did that last night, so full steam ahead!

I thought the plan was to use webbing so it didn't stretch and create gaps in the armor? Just about to do mine, so I better do some more research......

Edited by Sith Lord

Yeah, I thought it was too until I started researching.  Original suits all used elastic for internal strapping.  If you use webbing, the stress of moving around in the armor gets put on the snap connections, which can cause snaps to fail.  Elastic lets the armor move with your body and spreads the stress out on the elastic straps.

For all the rest of the straps (chest to ab, ab to kidney (on the sides), back to kidney, kidney to butt, cod to butt, thighs to belt) I am going to make the straps exactly long enough to connect from snap to snap with no gap and no tension or slack in the straps.  That way, all of those pieces are held in place with no gaps, and if they need to stretch out when moving, they can, but will get pulled right back into place.  This is simple for me, because I can measure the exact length of each strap by where the snaps glued to my armor are situated.

The chest-to-back straps are the only ones I'm really concerned about, because I don't know exactly where on my body the chest and back plates should lay.  If I make the straps too short, the chest and back will be up too high.  If I make the straps to long, the chest and back will be too low.  And every time I have to re-make those straps that's wasting a length of elastic and 8 snaps.  I really don't want that kind of waste, but I'm not sure I have any other choice but to guess at the length and hope it's correct.

Yes, sorry. I actually have bought elastic for everything myself. It's been sitting in the box for so long I forgot...... I do remember reading one persons EIB thread and his was sagging, so someone suggested webbing instead of elastic. But I'm going to do the same as you - elastic the exact length so it pulls back together. 

Good luck - looks like you'll get there before I do.

Yeah, I thought it was too until I started researching.  Original suits all used elastic for internal strapping.  If you use webbing, the stress of moving around in the armor gets put on the snap connections, which can cause snaps to fail.  Elastic lets the armor move with your body and spreads the stress out on the elastic straps.

For all the rest of the straps (chest to ab, ab to kidney (on the sides), back to kidney, kidney to butt, cod to butt, thighs to belt) I am going to make the straps exactly long enough to connect from snap to snap with no gap and no tension or slack in the straps.  That way, all of those pieces are held in place with no gaps, and if they need to stretch out when moving, they can, but will get pulled right back into place.  This is simple for me, because I can measure the exact length of each strap by where the snaps glued to my armor are situated.

The chest-to-back straps are the only ones I'm really concerned about, because I don't know exactly where on my body the chest and back plates should lay.  If I make the straps too short, the chest and back will be up too high.  If I make the straps to long, the chest and back will be too low.  And every time I have to re-make those straps that's wasting a length of elastic and 8 snaps.  I really don't want that kind of waste, but I'm not sure I have any other choice but to guess at the length and hope it's correct.

One thing you could do is, strap all the armor together except the chest and back,  then put tape on the chest and back to hold it in place and when it's just right, take a measurement for your straps.  I strapped my amor this way because all my friends were in Costa Rica 

Ah, ok Nick. I got similar advice from gazmosis as well. Because I know where my ab is going to sit from the fit of the cod, which will then show me where to place the kidney, I can get the bottom of the back plate flush with the top of the kidney. Then, I can put on the chest, because I'll know where to line it up on the ab plate. And that will give me the distance between the chest and back for making the right length elastic.

I wonder if I should make the elastic a little shorter than the measurement, since it will most likely stretch from the weight of the 2 pieces? Or if I should go with the exact distance measurement? I definitely don't believe I want to go longer than the measurement.

It really depends on the type elastic.  I ran a piece of nylon webbing  under the elastic, so it wouldn't stretch out.  Looks accurate and works great, 2 years + trooping with no problems and I only have one snap on each end. :)

Yeah, that makes sense about the type of elastic. I just won't know until I use it. I'll go with exact length and then I'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I'm continuing to glue in my snap plates, and I'll get over to Raintrooper's place soon to get all the rivets installed (Congrats Jason on 501st membership!)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Question for anyone who might know- is there a difference in the split rivets used to secure the ab piece to the kidney piece, the one on the crotch, and the ones to secure the ammo pack- ? Or can they all be roughly 8mm split rivets? Can the 2 buttons on the butt plate be quick tool secured snaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question for anyone who might know- is there a difference in the split rivets used to secure the ab piece to the kidney piece, the one on the crotch, and the ones to secure the ammo pack- ? Or can they all be roughly 8mm split rivets? Can the 2 buttons on the butt plate be quick tool secured snaps?

The side rivets are the same than the crotch rivet; brass split rivets 8mm head. Just leave the crotch rivet unpainted unlike the side rivets.

The ammo pack rivets aren't supposed to be split rivets, even though they're accepted. They're should be CAP rivets (or Speed rivets) with a 7mm head.

The two snaps on the butt plate are male snap. Ubber accurate would be Newey size size 4 studs

Greetings from Naples Florida! I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this thread. I purchased a NE kit a few months ago and have been struggling to find a solid build thread that was more than "bash the uninformed who bought the recast set.". Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DB1977

Greetings from Naples Florida! I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this thread. I purchased a NE kit a few months ago and have been struggling to find a solid build thread that was more than "bash the uninformed who bought the recast set.". Thanks again! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it's unfortunate that you did not find any other good NE threads, the reality is that NE is built just the same way as any other kit. Only a bit of research separates them on very specific build points. But the high level detail is identical. So you don't need an NE special build thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi David, I'm glad you have found my build thread informative.

I will say that I have done very extensive research on these forums, and I've been able to take details from ATA, RS Props, and Trropermaster to help me out with this build.

It is certainly nice to look at other build threads of the same armor type, because although similar, different sets will have their own quirks. I have received the most of my info build-wise from Redforce. I believe he has the only Centurion NE build, and his threads have helped get past some blockers I have had.

I have also used Haribon72, tk 69169, tmorrow182, obey wann, evoxpilot, and emile1138. Those have all had good details specifically for NE armor. I have just been trying to document every bump and block I hit with this build to both help myself out and hopefully help others if they run into the same issue. I highly recommend searching for the build threads of the people I listed. They have some good info too!

My anxiety is definitely rising with the snap / strap system.  I've put in snap plates at the shoulder areas, the bottom of the kidney and the top of the butt plate, and two at the bottom of the chest.  I believe that's all I can fit until I have a second person that can help me put the pieces on and determine how long to make the chest-to-back strap.  When I have that, I can start to see how the back lays on my body and where to put the snap plates to properly line up for the connection between the back plate and the top of the kidney plate, and where to put the snaps to connect the chest plate to the ab plate.

After I get that squared away, I need to start thinking about how I'm going to measure and install strapping between the shoulders / biceps / forearms.  If I go with the snap system, it's another guessing game to get the lengths of the straps correct.  I don't want to throw $100 in the garbage from creating straps that are too long / short.  If I glue the straps in place, I'll have to tear it out and make it smaller / longer.  

I'd be interested in making adjustable straps for the white elastic for the chest / back, and for the shoulders / biceps / forearms.  I just have no idea how.  I'm pretty sure I want to use the smallest straps possible between the back / kidney, kidney / butt, and on the sides for the kidney / ab clamshell connection.  That's simple enough for me to conceptualize and make.  The variable lengths for the back-to-chest and the shoulders / biceps / forearms are freezing me up.

I know I second guess and question myself a lot, and then another night goes by pouring over thread after thread of builds with no work done.  Big props to the people who had never built a set of TK armor before and had no one in person to assist. 

post-18700-139824983967_thumb.jpg<br />I know you've seen countless threads before with similar pics, but the placement of the snap plates doesn't really change. Your correct that the length of your strapping will vary- depending on solid measurement - but if your being as careful as you sound- you won't waste that many. Mistakes will happen, but good measurement and fitting will ensure most are pretty close to where they need to be- <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron, I will send you a size of my straps on my armor when I get home later. Depending on what elastic you got.....there are stitch lines that can be counted to determine where to cut for size. The elastic stretches.....so the straps should all be small in length.....

Thank Anthony.  I think the big issue is the length of the strap between the chest and back.  Your length is going to be different than mine, because of body type, height, etc....  Getting that spacing and fit there makes the rest of it fall into place.

Ty - Yeah, the placement seems to stay the same for the snap plates, but what I realized last night was I can line up the snaps for the butt and kidney plate because of the rectangle design on both pieces.  However, when it comes to lining up the back plate with the kidney plate, there is no mold reference like that.  The only way to know where to place those snap plates is to wear the back plate and kidney plate properly, then have someone mark where the edges of the back plate line up with the kidney.  That will let me line it up when it's off my body and find a common location for the snap plates at the bottom of the back and the top of the kidney.

Thanks Paul for the info on those bracket plates.  I've already invested the money and time to doing snap plates, so I'll be continuing down that road.  But also, even with that bracket set you used, you still needed to measure and create some type of strap system for back-to-chest, which wouldn't have been able to come pre-measured just for you in that kit.  If you did receive elastic for that connection and you did nothing for modification, you were very lucky. :)