Glove / forearm order?

I'm building my first TK and would eventually like to get it centurion certified. Go big or go home.

Forearms must be glued on both sides, right? No velcro. Also, rubber chemical gloves with latex guards attached must be used. I have slim arms (5'11" 155 lbs) and big hands, and I'm trying to figure out how I would get dressed. If the forearms are glued shut, I can only get my hands through if they're bare. If I put the forearms on first but then try putting on the gloves, it's next to impossible to stuff all the glove excess into the forearm. I could leave the end holes wide so I could squeeze my hands through, but that would look awful. I could use velcro to put gloves on and then forearms over it, clamshell style, but that would violate centurion requirements... right?

Any advice on how everybody is doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forearms must be glued on both sides, right? No velcro. I could use velcro to put gloves on and then forearms over it, clamshell style, but that would violate centurion requirements... right?

Is this true? I didnt see it on the CRL yet.

I have no problem putting my forearms on first, and then gloves. It's easy to push the gloves up the forarms with a finger or two once they are on.

Once you get them built and try it out, it will make sense.

Edited by MisterFubar

if you look closely at photos of Han in the garbage compactor it looks like his forearms are assembled larger.

I use a clamshell on the forearms, one side is glued and the other is 'fully closed' with velcro attached.

i hve to take a forearm off to remove my helmet.

this allows me to do that without having to struggle with a glove, then a forearm.

how it looks is more important than How it's made!

there's no seam and the velcro covers the entire join, so there's no gap.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I have latex handguards and have the same issue as the first post.  I let my forearms hang attached by the strap to the bicep until I'm completely ready then AFTER I put the gloves on I squeeze my hand in the glove and handguard through the opening.  It's not exactly easy but it works and it's better than trying to stuff that glove into the front opening of the forearm.  I've also found that it's easier to get myself ready if I leave the forearms of until everything is done.

Just my 2 cents.......

I have latex handguards and have the same issue as the first post.  I let my forearms hang attached by the strap to the bicep until I'm completely ready then AFTER I put the gloves on I squeeze my hand in the glove and handguard through the opening.  It's not exactly easy but it works and it's better than trying to stuff that glove into the front opening of the forearm.  I've also found that it's easier to get myself ready if I leave the forearms of until everything is done.

Just my 2 cents.......

Very interesting idea! I always find this part of getting suited up annoying, so I think I will try your way on my upcoming troop.

On 4/1/2013 at 1:26 PM, TK 5376 said:

Very interesting idea! I always find this part of getting suited up annoying, so I think I will try your way on my upcoming troop.

I know it's superfluous to show, but it's late and I'm punchy.  But here's what I look like getting ready, you can see I'm getting the gloves on while the forearms just hang there.  It's especially helpful when you have to reach around to your back for a stray cable or loose strap at the last second before you put your lid on.  I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten something then had to freakin remove the stupid forearms just to resnap a snap or something.

Just an anal retentive FYI:  I have replaced those crappy yellowed handguards for some nice new shiny white ones.  Can't stand looking at those things like that!

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I leave my shoulder bell/bicep/forearm combo connected but floating until I am sure everything is in order and then slide the combo on. I then put the gloves on after that, as mine won;t squeeze through. with the rubber gloves/rubber hand guard combo. 

I think I'm going to have to velcro it, and if it doesn't make CRL, I'll still have a damn good looking suit. Thank you all for the input.

Side note, Eric, I feel like I just got a reply from a celebrity. Believe it or not, I followed your RT-MOD build for months. It was a journey. Thanks for the inspiration.

-Nathanael

"Fully enclosed" is in my opinion not semi enclosed. IE closed permanently.

Fully enclosed does not mean permanently enclosed. It also cannot be that way given that there would be no way for my hands to make it through my forearms if not for the velcro. The coverstrip would have to be so big it would look even sillier than the thin strip of velcro. I would also look like Popeye and my forearms would be disproportionate to the rest of my build. It is a 501st base requirement for the forearm to be fully enclosed but I think we have a good history of allowing velcro in the forearms if done neatly and not overly obvious. 

I think I'm going to have to velcro it, and if it doesn't make CRL, I'll still have a damn good looking suit. Thank you all for the input.

Side note, Eric, I feel like I just got a reply from a celebrity. Believe it or not, I followed your RT-MOD build for months. It was a journey. Thanks for the inspiration.

-Nathanael

Oh cool. Thanks man. I'm far from a celebrity.... just a dude who owns a stormtrooper costume who posts too often on the internet. Welcome to the white dark side  ;)

Aloha, 

-Eric

Forearms
For 501st approval:
Forearms are fully closed.

Thighs
For 501st approval:

• Thigh armor shall be closed in the back.
  • The small ammo belt is installed on the bottom of the right thigh.

Lower Legs
For 501st approval:

• Greaves close in the back. The trapezoid knee plate (sniper knee plate)
  • is affixed to the left greave and may have two visible brads or rivets securing it to the greave.

Here is the language from the CRL

I personally think that mandating glue on the thighs and forearms is as wrong as mandating that shins be also

glued.  the language just does not support glue in every case.

MY personal forearms are 13" in diameter when relaxed.

when fully flexed my forearms are 14"

this means that the armor at the widest point needs to be at LEAST 14.5"

photos incoming to show my point.

forearm shown without cover strip.

2oKvPOz.jpg

forearm without cover strip and my arm stuffed in as tight as possible.

b2Ly2qN.jpg

my hands are too large to fit inside armor and look slim

without using the velcro method.

qRvPoyO.jpg

my hand without a glove is 9. 1/4"

if I have a glove on it's 9 3/4"

I personally believe that if you take away the option of having open forearms then you're

putting people with large hands and arms into a situation where we would

have to wear barrel popeye forearms.

should we paint anchors on them and eat green leafy veggies from a can?

screen used forearms most likely are 9-10"

with a hand about 7-8" wrist.

let's not get into biceps!  some people are much larger than screen used sizes.

We NEED to allow shims, and variables for the INSIDE of how armor goes together

for different body types!!

are we going to BAN large people from EIB or Centurion?

are we going to BAN short people?

the goal of clamshell parts is to allow them to be more tailored and slimmer

in these situations. (unlike having to have them larger)

thighs, forearms and shins all benefit from being allowed to clamshell with a fully closed

velcro seam and a coverstrip.

I'm talking about centurion, still.

Also Vern; you are wearing armour that you and me both know is too small for you. Using yourself is not a good example this time.

Using common sense when wearing armour includes wearing armour that is your size, and if it is, then you shouldn't need to use velcro. Hence why I think it should never be used. Because I base my opinion on common sense, and correct accurate assembly.

There is nothing in the CRL about the method used to enclose forearms. The only mention of enclosing forearms at all exists at the basic level.

Not granting Centurion based on the use of velcro in the forearms is not only the wrong thing to do, but not in the spirit of the award. If the forearm velcro was unsightly, obvious, or sloppy, only then are there grounds for asking a Centurion candidate to redo their forearms. 

While Vern does wear armor that is too small for him.... and somehow pulls it off... there is no forearm out there big enough for his size. I am in the same size boat.... unless I make cover strips so large that I wouldn't even approve my own centurion application.

-Eric

so we blame the armor I wear?

see... that's not the point of armor.

the point of armor is not about body size.

it matters if it looks good enough to pass standards established by the crl.

shims and extended parts allow for armor even in the centurion status.

you should not judge based upon size.

I don't want to wear RT mod armor.

I have AP armor with shims on my sidegaps.

that's it.

there are tons of centurion or EIB troopers who have 14" arms 18" biceps

23" thighs 19" shins with a 38" waist and a 40" chest.

those are my measurements.

just because I don't have:

10" arms 12" biceps 21" thighs and 17" shins with a 34" waist and a 36" chest

does not mean that I should be rejected for EIB or Centurion.

the main point of a costuming club is not to ever forget that fat people want to be EIB and Centurion

and they want to stuff themselves into costumes that are too small for them.

I can list on and on the EIB and Centurion builds that are not small people.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392