Frown vent holes

I know that the original helmets had their frowns vented, but what was put behind them?

Was it screen or a dark/black cloth or was anything there at all? Anyone have any reference pictures? And was it a different method for each film?

Oh a balaclava - makes perfect sense now! BTW - that about picture is of Joe Johnston.

Thanks everyone!

Now the question becomes for my next bucket that I am working on (TE HDPE), should I make it as accurate as possible or use screen (as I have with my past buckets) to make sure you can't see in as easily....

Oh a balaclava - makes perfect sense now! BTW - that about picture is of Joe Johnston.

Thanks everyone!

Now the question becomes for my next bucket that I am working on (TE HDPE), should I make it as accurate as possible or use screen (as I have with my past buckets) to make sure you can't see in as easily....

Incorrect. Not all actors had the hood. there is something behind the nose holes: it is the same material as the lens. It is not a seperate piece, but it starts at the top of the eye socket and goes to just below the nose holes.

It is really difficult to breathe in the helmet. This is for ANH only BTW...

T*E

Very interesting Matt. I didn't realize there was anything in the frown holes (I always thought they were just holes and for "active" trooping people added the mesh so John Q Public didn't see them close up. I learn something new every day. Thanks.

Any more detail? Did it cover the entire front of the face plate (eyes to nose). I want to add this to my TE bucket so I have that "authentic... this is how it looked" look.

So your saying Matt that the green lense material was wide enough to cover both the eyes and the frown all in one piece?

Correct!

'

Thats the ticket guys.. ESB was cut to the sockets and then stuck in with blak sticky putty... called 'dum dum' in the US.. #m makes it.. among others...

T*E

Here's the inside of an esb lid, maybe Jez can give us more info on this

Z5BkL3X.jpg

RgcOWp4.jpg

( pics taken from his site )

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I looked on StarWarshelmets.com first... but I was thinking maybe just that one didn't have any backing, or maybe after the years it fell off...

It makes sense though. They wouldn't need to have anything covering the holes. With us, you really only see in the helmet, because you were up close to people and because of flash photography.

PPOIDH

I've seen a couple caps where the green film covers a couple of the vent holes but it seemed errant, a result of the lens material slipping down. More of the visible screen reference would indicate the mouth holes were just holes with nothing behind.

ItsThatGuy said:
Yeah, but do you really think Matt is going to back up what he says?

wow, what a cheap low blow. I can back everything I say.

The picture is all over the net if you look closely. The set for stun helmet I owned had the lens material glue to the sockets as well. So no, it was not errant. I found 2 other stunt helmets like this in the archives as well.

Ki3pFxo.jpg

Look an you can clearly see it extends past the nose holes and NOT by accident.

You can apologize now an keep future snide remarks to yourself.

Thanks,,,

T*E

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

It sure looks like it's there... very interesting Matt!!!

Any idea how it looks from the inside? How it was cut/shaped? I want to add it to my TE bucket.

Saying how it was originally shaped is anyones guess. The lens material was torn and some was missing. What made this really tough was, again, that the lens was glued to the sockets on this helmet. Moving it around could have pulled it away and I did not want to risk that. I would just lay some in there and fiddle with it.

T*E

You can apologize now an keep future snide remarks to yourself.

Yes, do keep snide marks to yourselves people. There are better things to do today that police threads. :):pint1:

PPOIDH

I've seen a couple caps where the green film covers a couple of the vent holes but it seemed errant, a result of the lens material slipping down. More of the visible screen reference would indicate the mouth holes were just holes with nothing behind.

It looks like it is a large U-shaped green face visor used on the lid posted by TE. Therefore, it covered only the first and 3/4 of the second frown vent, the third and fourth frown vent on the right is blank, not covered by the visor.

In this respect I would think that it is due to the incidental application of larger U-shaped visor in that few particular lids due to resource availability, and not the intention to cover the frown vents with green flim by design.

The picture is not conclusive evidence.

It looks like it is a large U-shaped green face visor used on the lid posted by TE. Therefore, it covered only the first and 3/4 of the second frown vent, the third and fourth frown vent on the right is blank, not covered by the visor.

In this respect I would think that it is due to the incidental application of larger U-shaped visor in that few particular lids due to resource availability, and not the intention to cover the frown vents with green flim by design.

The picture is not conclusive evidence.

LOL... WOW... show you proof, and the proof is there.. and all you do is sputter more negatives... LOL... Not covered? hmm.. the tube behind the helmet is gray. Since no gray shows through... and again as i said in the previous post, the film was badly ripped from filming or handling or whatever.. but, it is in there designed to cover the holes.

I have shown it, and you can make your own mind up.

T*E

I think they just threw the green stuff in there and paid little attention to anything more than covering the eyes. I have seen pictures of helmets where the acetate was just a narrow strip and I have seen pics where it seems like they just cut a big chunk to fit in there. Seems pretty random.

Darth_Nickel said:
Any idea how it looks from the inside? How it was cut/shaped? I want to add it to my TE bucket.

While waiting for my TE2 to arrive i have been looking for more info myself as to how the real ANH lids were finished as i want to make mine as close to scrren used as possible. I came across this picture on another web site posted by Paul aka troopermaster.

You can see that the green lense is alot wider than what we usually expect and can see that is is likely that some of the frown would be covered when viewing this helmet from the outside.

I hope this is helpful for you Brad :D

----------------

Whether this is the inside of the set for stun helmet that Matt posted i dont know.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

firebladejedi said:
While waiting for my TE2 to arrive i have been looking for more info myself as to how the real ANH lids were finished as i want to make mine as close to scrren used as possible. I came across this picture on another web site posted by Paul aka troopermaster.

You can see that the green lense is alot wider than what we usually expect and can see that is is likely that some of the frown would be covered when viewing this helmet from the outside.

I hope this is helpful for you Brad :D

--------------

Whether this is the inside of the set for stun helmet that Matt posted i dont know.

That is the first helmet I think. The SFS helmet has the foam glue in and still secure in there.

T*E

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021