Sniper plate for Centurion

ingrid used plastic shims inside the plate from what she told me.

looks like a good idea to shim from the inside, and then it adds more surface area.

Oh yeah, I actually forgot that, but yeah. I put it in the front lower gap - attached to cover strip. Not ideal but it works. Hey, the glue survived CVI!!!!

I also have a back-up system: white duct tape in the back of the plate to the inside of my shin. That way if it pops off entirely I won't lose it entirely. You can't see it unless you look down my leg with that purpose in mind.

So basically looking at Ingrid's build, the only solution is shim and glue the crap out of it. I was afraid someone was going to say that.

ROFLMAO!!!! This is a great thread.

Another solution is to ask Mark to resculpt the knee plate with a little more accuracy to the actual line-up of his left shin pieces...

The CRL does say "ideally" so that's what I was going for. If I could have left my rivets in I could have saved myself some pain. (Though Mathias would still have given me crap.) I did want to simply spread some bondo over the rivets to create the "illusion" of no rivets... Not that I'm suggesting anything here...

Loving it !!!

Haha!

You wanna be safe i like that ; )

So many trooper here in germany and worldwide and everybody was able to attach it and it sticks to the armor like a charm.

But i think your shimmingidea is actually great!!!

Hey guys the deed is done. I took some of Ingrid's shimming idea and I filled the areas where there would be no surface area to contact with velcro and glued the sniper plate on at three points. Each side and the center --- glued the crap out of it (yeah the greave is messy but I will clean up after. E6000 is great for that.) Kapow. It's looking good I have to say. Going to give it 24 hours to cure but right now even after just 15 mins, it feels very strong.

The sniper plate from AP could use a resculpt though. As there's no way to get it perfect. I went with getting it flushed on the sides for "the look" it's a little wonky in the front but that's just AP for you.

Spent way too much time on this... this is as good as it's going to get I think.

cOellSY.jpg

• Like 1

damn I need to get a job where I can build my kit at the same time! So much lost productivity at work reading and researching. Good luck Keith, I expect a full report so you can come show me exactly what to do on the first try. We're about a week, maybe two away from this step. perhaps you can come over on the long weekend for a few beers and TK tweaks. I'll even have a supply of Jelly Belly beans to keep your right.

Yeah man, I was thinking the same thing. I'm trying to organize a gaming night but I was also thinking we should do a small armour party. It's gluing real well right now. I don't want to touch it for at least 24 hours. Let it get real solid.

Vern,

Have you ever built a shin with a glued on knee plate, or only used rivets? I'm asking because it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

if I had a TM knee plate, I sure would have tried glue.

the AP plate only has about 1/2" per side that even touches the shin.

and with the flex that I need to get em on...

I feel uncomfortable with glue on that part.

thought about using the riveted shim as a compromise.

we'll see, perhaps I'll go for it later in the year.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Okay guys here it is. I've tried to optimize the positioning of the sniper plate. It's not perfect but it's not bad either. Any changes in one spot will drastically change it in one of the other two spots. So I've tried to make all three spots as close as possible to where it should be. ... so basically this is all y'all getting from me! I'm done with the plate. Haha... I feel Ingrid's pain now.

sJWBCsy.jpg

zpHheIW.jpg

ip7UkKf.jpg

That looks great Keith. I know what you mean about one change effecting the two other points. Total nightmare! Your's doesn't look as wonky as mine.

LOL I take it as a "it will pass Centurion" comment, so that's good. :)

I'm not saying that. That is for Mathias to decide :) . I got my Centurion badge with a different knee plate but wanted to replace it to make it a bit better. Your's came out great. Well done.

I'm not saying that. That is for Mathias to decide :) . I got my Centurion badge with a different knee plate but wanted to replace it to make it a bit better. Your's came out great. Well done.

LOL I know I'm just pulling your leg. But it's good that it came out better than expected frankly. What a disaster to get it even to that position.

Choosing between lining up with the ridges and having it lean inwards I would for not leaning and skip lining it up with the ridges but either way is fine in my book.

Choosing between lining up with the ridges and having it lean inwards I would for not leaning and skip lining it up with the ridges but either way is fine in my book.

I take that as "good enough".

Lining up the front would have resulted in a disaster. I totally understand why Ingrid's first attempt was a little off on the side ridge. It's impossible to get it right. So I opted for "good enough" at all angles versus perfect in one and terrible in others.

I take that as "good enough".

Lining up the front would have resulted in a disaster. I totally understand why Ingrid's first attempt was a little off on the side ridge. It's impossible to get it right. So I opted for "good enough" at all angles versus perfect in one and terrible in others.

Sounds fair :)