Sniper plate for Centurion

Hi all, I'm starting the part I dreaded for Centurion - the sniper plate. So this is where it's starting from, seem to be that I need to bend the outside edges of the sniper plate so that it conforms a little more to the greave itself. It flares about 1/2" bigger than it should be I think. Any thoughts on that?

Aslo what's the best way to glue this sucker on (so that it can survive a troop)?

S7nbrbm.jpg

Also this seems to be the right angle for me to attach it. What do you think?

G0BY9Mk.jpg

has anyone ever noticed that in all the photos of "original" armor, that the knee plate has fallen off?

I think it's probably most people's solution to bend the AP knee plate out of shape to do this.

then you will have to use a glue that's much stronger than e-6000.

this is exactly why I don't support the 'glued' knee in the first place.

well I have seen quite a few photos showing the knee plate fallen off.

that's a great photo showing at least 2 survived.

when I look at original knee plates, they are longer at the bottom.

giving more surface area.

This topic is perfect timing for me. I've spent most of the weekend re-fitting a new knee plate on my AP. Some people have managed to do a great job fitting the plate on AP armour but I have no idea how. No matter what, I can't get mine to sit straight or look very good at the sides. You might find this thread helpful Keith. From about page four I think.

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=20646

Good luck.

This topic is perfect timing for me. I've spent most of the weekend re-fitting a new knee plate on my AP. Some people have managed to do a great job fitting the plate on AP armour but I have no idea how. No matter what, I can't get mine to sit straight or look very good at the sides. You might find this thread helpful Keith. From about page four I think.

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=20646

Good luck.

ingrid used plastic shims inside the plate from what she told me.

looks like a good idea to shim from the inside, and then it adds more surface area.

So I think I have a solution. I'm making a snap plate for the graves and the sniper plate right in the middle where I would have had to "shim" anyways to create a strong initial point of contact. Then glue in the sides. Let's see how this works.

So I think I have a solution. I'm making a snap plate for the graves and the sniper plate right in the middle where I would have had to "shim" anyways to create a strong initial point of contact. Then glue in the sides. Let's see how this works.

:popcorn:

shims, snaps... oh... that's not good sounding.

I vote rivets.

not like centurion demands no attachment.

it just SUGGESTS glue.

and I vote that we never eliminate rivets.

so let's assign keith as our test for a no fail knee plate.

Lower Legs

For 501st approval:

• Greaves close in the back. The trapezoid knee plate (sniper knee plate) is affixed to the left greave and may have two visible brads or rivets securing it to the greave.
  • The AM greaves (shins) shall be on the proper legs, with a new cover strip. The cover strip edge shall be facing the inside of the leg. Note: There is a manufacturer defect with the AM greaves (shins) that may cause you to wear the them improperly. Please see the Tutorial titled :"AM armor shins: the proper way to assemble and wear", on the whitearmor.net

For level two certification (if applicable): For level three certification (if applicable):

• Ideally there should be no visible rivets or brads used to secure the sniper plate to the left greave.

this does not mean that you cannot have rivets or 'brads'

you can have them.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Vern,

Have you ever built a shin with a glued on knee plate, or only used rivets? I'm asking because it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Ingrid did a great job with some force and glueing the crap out of it. It sits a bit crooked but thats a common problem with AP. I changed it to another one. Just glued it left right and on top and the only issue is a slightly different color. E6000 could cope with the tension of my stressed ap plate without any trouble.

Even my forearms are fine and due to my skinny arms they have immense tension but if you rough up the surface glue and clamp e 6000 is a good way to go.

Not perfect but a good way. Everybody has to find out whats best for himself.

I go with e 6000

Just do what most people do. Heat the plate gently to reshape if needed and glue it on. Ask anyone who has ever trooped with me. I test my suits to the limits and the glue I use has never let me down.