Hearing from inside

I'm curious as to what it is like inside the helmet. I know there are options all over the place in terms of amplifying your voice for others to hear, but how is it the other way around? Is it easy to hear what is going around outside of you?

The only openings are at the bottom and front of the helmet... So I assumed that you might feel a bit alienated if people didn't talk to you from directly in front.

Is this the case or can you hear well enough?

Has anyone ever tried doing the reverse and take exterior sounds and amplify them inside the helmet?

Just curious,

Jacob

I'm curious as to what it is like inside the helmet. I know there are options all over the place in terms of amplifying your voice for others to hear, but how is it the other way around? Is it easy to hear what is going around outside of you?

The only openings are at the bottom and front of the helmet... So I assumed that you might feel a bit alienated if people didn't talk to you from directly in front.

Is this the case or can you hear well enough?

Has anyone ever tried doing the reverse and take exterior sounds and amplify them inside the helmet?

Just curious,

Jacob

I have no problems hearing at all (in any directions) - seeing is a different story all together! :P

You can hear pretty good with the bucket, but since I'm an electronics nerd... I did add listening devices to my buckets.

My TK has a mic in the frown, and my TD (still in progress) will have 2 mics (once in each ear). It really helps add a little more ability to hear (particularly when another TK is talking to you)

yea, no problem.

It's just a device called "Listen Up" or Gossip Gizmo. Both are pretty Cheap. It's a handheld device that amplifies noise. Here is a link to the "Listen Up"

http://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/listenupv3/?cid=290879

To install them, you have to take them apart (like one or 2 screws... pretty simple), move the mic out, cut a small grove for the wire, put it back together, and put it where you want in the bucket (the frown, ears, whatever)

I'm still working on my TD ones, so I'll try to put together a little step by step on the modification and installation of them.

Like I said, I put one in my TK, but I'm going to try 2 (one on each side/ear) of my TD. 2 of them are a little more complicated and the ears are MUCH different than the frown. I've been moding the construction of the bucket so that it will accept the 2 devices (you need the mic exposed) I'm about finished up with the ear covers/rank bars where the mic will go. I can take pictures of them tonight. I have to finish the paint app since it's just rough painted so I could see the mod.

Here is a picture of the TD bucket without the ear caps on, you can see the "hole" that will lead to the cap and allow the wire for the Listen up device to be installed to.

DSCF2255.jpg

Is that FX a recast? The dome and back piece and the face plate are all one piece.... ???? That confuses me...

Good eye Tony!!!! Surprised you saw that, I don't think too many people have noticced it was one. (well... not really surprised.. I know you have mad skills man... ;) )

It's not a recast, it's a "Brad special". :)

I never liked the seams (particularly on the back dome). So, I removed them.... It's just your standard, run of the mill FX, put together, seams filled and removed.

Being a TD, I didn't have to not worry about the shiny ABS and not matching the rest of my armor issue.. I sanded everything down, painted, and weathered. I suppose you COULD do it with a TK using high gloss. It would just require a full repaint of the entire armor set. A lot of work for a FX set.

No hearing problems here, lid acts as a resonace chamber of bell and picks up good amount of close noise.

and like brad said the hearing aid helps out alot with TtT (trooper to trooper) comm.

@ Brad

a pdf with pics of your hearing aid would nice to add to the forum.

I'll get some pics ASAP. I was trying last night, but I didn't get to it. I've not started work on one, so I can show a 'Before" and I'll take pictures of where I am at.

As I work on the second, I'll take additional pics. I'm doing a lot of mods (you don't have to do them all...)

I have found that I "prefer" the listen up to the gossip gizmo. I've not seen a sonic ear yet, but I'm sure they are all about the same.

I'm a "light" guy... the listen up has a led in it, which I think will add a nice little touch to the final product.

Here are some of my progress pics.

Package (already opened)

DSCF2765.jpg

New Front

DSCF2770.jpg

New Back

DSCF2768.jpg

New Side removed (battery side)

DSCF2771.jpg

WORK IN PROGRESS:

Parts removed (front, back, Sides, Belt Clip)

DSCF2760.jpg

New Wires added, Mic removed from main box (FRONT)

- I've got making solution on the front, getting ready to paint. I don't want to see the "logo"

DSCF2763.jpg

New Wires added, Mic removed from main box (BACK)

DSCF2764.jpg

MODIFIED EAR COVERS

Remember, this is just a work in progress. The paint is rough so I could see my work. It will be corrected later.

For these I only carved out the top of the "rank bar"

Installed screen in the holes. My goal is to make them look as close to the part I removed from the "rank Bars"

- For this I used stiff screen from the FX aerators. It fit perfect in the hole. I used a nail set to push it threw to the desired depth.

- Glued them in place

- Painted the screen black

Pair

DSCF2772.jpg

Close up (FRONT)

DSCF2774.jpg

Close up (SIDE)

DSCF2775.jpg

Close up (BACK)

DSCF2777.jpg

I still have a lot of work to do on them, but if people are interested, I'll continue to update.

I will keep the updates then. thanks guys.

I removed the board and painted the front. We will see how it turns out.

The wires will eventually be shorter (it's HUGE currently) and covered. I've not decided how to install everything in my bucket yet, but that's always fun!!! I love to mess with the inside of the bucket - yet that's another thread.

• 2 months later...

Wow... it's been a while since I updated this.

The ears/antenna have just been added.

I've also been fitting the liner and electronics (you can see the speaker wire). I still have to finish up the top section, so you can see the Velcro there…

The liner is a padding system for military helmets (Team Wendy). I have a pin head, so I have to scratch build something to make the interior of the helmet smaller. I've got half painted and still need to do the other side (you can see it's white)

Well anyway… I've got a ton more work to do and by the progress I've been making it should be done in 2050…

Front.jpg

OutsideLeft.jpg

OutsideRight.jpg

InteriorFront.jpg

InteriorLeft.jpg

InteriorRight.jpg

Strange thing about my bucket...

I have a few CPU fans mounted inside, one over each of my temples.

The most bizarre thing is, after they reach their maximum spin rate, they create a sound that EXACTLY mimics the sound effects of light sabers when they are moving in mid-air--the "wow-wow" sound. One of these days I'm going to record it and post. It's pretty cool! A perfect sound effect by chance.

B)

I can hear other people okay. It seems the biggest problem is hearing other troopers. You never think about it but just seeing someone's mouth really helps you understand what they are saying. I am not a lip reader but I find that it helps. I really don't know why. But hearing my buddy in his suit is okay in complete silence but when there are other people around and background noise it is almost impossible for me. Anyone else notice this?

I can hear other people okay. It seems the biggest problem is hearing other troopers. You never think about it but just seeing someone's mouth really helps you understand what they are saying. I am not a lip reader but I find that it helps. I really don't know why. But hearing my buddy in his suit is okay in complete silence but when there are other people around and background noise it is almost impossible for me. Anyone else notice this?

This can be a problem even for people out of armor (as i found last sunday) as the voice sound FX can really distort someones speach. That and ive found it depends on where said persons mic is.