DDays first ANH Stunt build - unknown recast

Ok, so before I discovered this place, I found a cheap seller on ebay, suit was cheap, I bought it. Seller was Treckfreek, and I know a few have bought suits from him, and they are soso, most likely recast of FX. I think this is the first full set of photos from the armor he is selling.

I encourage everyone who knows their stuff to scour these photos, ask for bigger ones, ask for zoomed photos, ask questions I can answer, and we can determine the origin of the armor he sells. My plan is to make a work with this set and make a TK stunt 501st with it, then with a few pieces subbed out, turn it into a TKC.

Then when my suit from RT-Mod comes in October, it will be my ANH Hero suit. So two suits, fun times, no idea where I will store/display them... I'm happy my first suit is a cheap one, so I don't feel so scared doing the cutting as I would with a quality suit.

I am in no way advocating this ebay seller or his suite. Just merely informational, and a build with hopefully enough information for anyone who might have a suit like it, to be able to get their up to standards.

Each piece measures at 2mm and vendor claimed 0.90ABS.

None of it is yellow at all, was just the lighting in the room.

Overall

DSC04200.jpg

3 Piece helmet

DSC04201.jpg

DSC04202.jpg

DSC04203.jpg

DSC04204.jpg

DSC04205.jpg

DSC04206.jpg

DSC04207.jpg

DSC04208.jpg

DSC04209.jpg

DSC04210.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

Left Arm

DSC04224.jpg

DSC04225.jpg

DSC04226.jpg

DSC04227.jpg

Right Arm

DSC04212.jpg

DSC04213.jpgDSC04214.jpgDSC04215.jpg

Chest, Back, Torso, Cod, Booty

DSC04216.jpg

DSC04217.jpg

DSC04218.jpg

DSC04219.jpg

DSC04220.jpg

DSC04221.jpg

DSC04222.jpg

DSC04223.jpg

Belt, Thermal Detonator

DSC04228.jpg

DSC04229.jpg

Left Leg

DSC04230.jpgDSC04231.jpg

DSC04235.jpg

Right Leg

DSC04232.jpgDSC04233.jpgDSC04234.jpg

Edited by Dday

Yeah, I was looking at it and thought it was funny, and there was this goofy black sticker in the box. Apparently, thats supposed to be the vocoder... blerg. Who made a 3 piece lid anyways?

Also, the biceps don't have the teardrops in them.

The belt has been trimmed the wrong way. It is too short.

Good luck with the kit.

I like your attitude of gaining experience building this cheap recast and then moving to a more accurate and expensive armor.

I've always heard how bad and ugly recasts look but man... the details and everything is just... terrible. Good thing you're gonna get the experience from using a terrible set of armor. When you get your RT-mod, you'll be done in a jiffy.

. the details and everything is just... terrible.

Are you talking about the shape or the sharpness? Because if you're talking about the shape these details are the same of the first FX/GT and lots of ancient 501st members still wear these armors for trooping.

If you mean about the sharpness of the details: recasting with a 2mm ABS does not give you sharp details at all. So I don't see anything freaky in this kit, sincerly (apart the thing it's a recast, obviously).

Edited by lightside

Go get'm, Dday! You can make the best of this bad situation!

You may have to buy a few parts but if you buy well (like new lid) you can use it with whatever armor you upgrade to as well, rather than buy again.......... :D

The kit seems to be one of the first FX made. My first armor was a FX/GT, bought in 2003, and the helmet was in 3 piece and vocoder had to be glued separately.

FX has always been like this. Even it's successor the AM is made like that.

I've never seen AM armors live. Reading comments seemed they were a bit different to me.

The AM helmet is basically the same, but has a more rounded back to look less square when viewed from the side.

More likely a late version recast. I'm not an expert on how the old FX thighs used to look like, but they are rare these days that I find the chance of that slim. Also, your TD is not FX, so that has been changed in your kit.

Are we agreed this is basically a really early version of the FX?

As I said above, I've never seen an AM live, so I can't make a comparison. Your kit is surely a recent recast, but the line is the same of the old FX/GT on the legs, but loooking at the chest piece I realize it's different from the GT older one. Moreover, the oldest FX were uncorrect white blueish colored.

This is me in my old FX armor in 2003, while I was still a member of the 501st as TK676.

comicon_01.jpg

Edited by lightside

First assembly work in photos. I would have done more, but I don't have any more clamps. So I need to let the E6000 set for 24 hours before removing a few of the clamps so I can do the forearms. I will let the biceps set with 4 clamps and 2 magnet sets for up to 72 hours before removing completely. I wish I had bought another set of clamps when I was in the US, maybe I can find a cheap strong set here in Germany as well. Plus, I should have gotten the 3/4in magnets, the 1/2 seem a bit small. I got the N52 ones, so they are strong, I would just like a little more surface area.

DSC04248.jpg

I opened up the bicep on the left a little more as I had closed it a bit to much with heat (as shown in the picture)

DSC04249.jpg

DSC04250.jpg

DSC04251.jpg

DSC04252.jpg

DSC04253.jpg

Edited by Dday

Finished the forearms now, and more photos to add.

Had to heat up the inner forearm to spread it a bit as it was to small, and cut the length of the forearm a bit as well because I was very restricted in wrist movement due to the length.

Starting parts

DSC04256.jpg

DSC04257.jpg

Who needs a heat gun? Apparently me, blowdryer works in a pinch.

DSC04258.jpg

After the first expanding, not quite there yet, I widened them a little more after.

DSC04259.jpg

Cutting the excess off the edge

DSC04260.jpg

Gluing and clamping. I opted to do velcro on the inner seam so I could make the wrist smaller to form fit better and still get in and out of them.

DSC04261.jpg

DSC04262.jpg

DSC04263.jpg

Who needs a workshop when you have a bed and a box to work on.

All my parts are still in the cardboard box they came in, I take things out as needed and work on them in between doing my real job in my home office. At this rate, I think I should be done in a week of so. I'll most likely be done before my new helmet arrives, hoping to buy that today.

More pictures, incase anyone besides me actually cares. I will probably edit the main page when I"m done so all the photos are in one place and there aren't so many. But for now, pictures away!

I'm using strapping for the snaps plates, and as mentioned by Vern, I used white duct tape on the back of the snap to prevent the ABS from melting (rather take people word then find out and have to buy new pieces). I just wonder if this will create some inherent weakness since the part that takes the most pressure when unsnapping won't be glued... I will find out soon enough.

Cutting the shoulder bridges (I intend to take this to TKC so needed to cut the flats out of the bridges).

DSC04272.jpg

Applying them to the armor

DSC04274.jpg

Snap straps in the bells

DSC04276.jpg

Snap straps in the biceps

DSC04277.jpg

I look forward to seeing it!

I have had to put the build on pause the last weeks, I ran out of snaps, but I got 160 more snaps coming tomorrow, great deal too, only 30 cents a piece! I have counted, I will need approx 70 snaps to complete a suit, so I bought more for when I get and put together my second suit in October.