Helmet upgrades: wireless amp, external sound pickups, fan, padding and more

I'm estimating $100, give or take a few bucks. I'm designing and building my own earpads with speakers, foam,hard plastic backing in them (vacuum formed to fit the curves of the helmet), a custom wiring system and vacuum formed housings for the circuit boards. I'll know more after I've built one.

I'm extremely interested, but I have a smaller AP lid. Looking forward to progress.

Thanks for answering my questions - hell, if you can balance the l/r hearing I'll never take my helmet off!

Of course if I did that, i'd never be able to use the 'selective hearing' excuse I give my wife when I tell her i didn't hear what she said... :)

Update:

My headset speakers supplier has crapped the bed and mistakenly didn't send out the order. On the bright side, all other parts are on hand :)

Now, while I wait, I'm working on the enclosures and ear pad design that will be versatile and adjustable enough to fit most helmets (and ears).

I'm excited! I'm thinking of selling off my eFX lid from the YouTube video in anticipation of the new design. Although the amount of time and labor that went into that puppy has been equivalent to working a full time job for a few weeks, so I'd never make my money back lol.

Will keep you posted (with pics soon)!

Edited by Mynock

• 2 weeks later...
I'm interested in the hearing system, 2 minimikes, amps and inside-helmet speakers!

Your prototype looks really good too, but it must be hot in there?

It's actually not as hot as one might think; fan works well and the padding acts like insulation keeping outside heat out. Still, I wouldn't do a long troop in my prototype; It's as heavy as a motorcycle helmet! But the new system im designing is simplified, and will come with only ear pads (since most people already have some type of padding in their lid), and have virtually no weight to it. It will be very comfortable and removable.

Edited by Mynock

Wow based on all your guys' replies, i went and ordered parts to complete 10 units to start. Still working on the prototype, which I'm nearly there with! I'm juggling 5 different projects right now, and just finished my Sith Acolyte mask prototype (I'm all about prototypes it seems lol). If you wanna check it out, it's in this thread here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20586&st=20#entry258807

Edited by Mynock

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Finishing up the plastic housing molds for the electronics. All other materials are in as well. I should have pictures of the prototype soon! Been tied up with a few orders for my Sith Acolyte masks, but my attention is now fully focused on this! Stay tuned!

Ok guys. Here's the issue I'm facing with this. I have two TK lids that I am using as templates for getting this prototype built: an eFX and an AP. I had mentioned earlier that I was going to create vacuum formed enclosures for the boards, with a contoured backing to fit into the helmet tube, but I realize that everyone is going to have a different type of lid. I do not own any of the other makers' helmets, so it's going to be next to impossible to create hard plastic enclosures that will fit all. Some tube diameters are larger than others, and the electronic boards are 5x6cm rectangles.

So, what I can offer at this point is soft ribbed covers like I have in my video until I come up with another way to do it (or spend a pile of cash on expanding my TK lid collection :). What I've done works very well and keeps the boards protected. You may need to move some things around in your own lid to accommodate them, if you already have stuff mounted inside the tubes.

I'm finishing the earpads now, which is the last piece of this puzzle! Ordered the wrong kind of foam - DOH! so now I'm waiting for the correct kind to come in. Again, since everyone's lid and internal setup is different, I will leave it up to people to figure a way out to configure the internal positioning. The earpads will be removable (they will attach to the inside of the lid via velcro - which I will supply as part of the kit), and be easily repositionable.

Once the foam is in, I will put in an order to my electronics supplier for the boards, and we're set!

Edited by Mynock

I have lurked whitearmor for months but this thread drove me to signup just so I could say. Amazing work, please put me up for a kit when they are available. I am in at any price - this is top notch stuff. Been trooping since 09 and have been looking for a bucket upgrade recently :)

Funnily enough, just messages Evilboy about one of his fankit's and I see he has posted here. Dont worry Evil, im still interested :P

Edited by TK-8817