Magnets?

Hello everyone I was wondering if i need to get some of those rare earth magnets before i start assembling my armor? I already have some clamps to hold the ends. Just asking because this is my first suit.

It's a good idea. It's cheap and saves you on a ton of clamps. Get some that are maybe ½ inch or bigger and as strong N-rating as you can. Just be careful, they can pinch you really bad.

Hi Gary,

Yes you should get some as they come in very handy. The clamps are good for holding the end of the strips and the magnets are good for holding down along the length. They are also good to hold the helmet together so you can see how you want to assemble it before drilling.

Edit - Mathias beat me to it again :P

Yes, they are very handy. But be carefull with them as they can pinch as previously stated and they will chip or break completely if you let them come together to hard.

Chris

I was trying to stay out of this but since I got pinched AND IT DREW BLOOD last weekend... they literally flew from two sides of the table... I wouldn't let any of these magnets near anyone under the age of 38.

• 2 months later...

The magnets are good for the middle sections of long pieces. I would get at least 10, 1/2in or bigger, N52 is the strongest rating. Clamps can't reach into the middle of your thighs, forearms, shins and so on. Magnets are also great for holding snap strips/webbing on.

Any good place to buy them?

Just a thought....to save on the amount of magnets used on each piece of armor, would it be feasible to put some sort of strip of metal opposite to magnets for them to pull on instead of magnet to magnet?

Actually, this time ebay is helpful.

But why use a metal strip? You'll use half of the force (no pun!). Now, that I learned how magnets work. ;)

Just trying to think outside of the box. I've noticed that depending on how many magnets you have, you would be limited to how many pieces you could glue at once. Like I said, just a thought....I'm a noob.

The magnets are good for the middle sections of long pieces. I would get at least 10, 1/2in or bigger, N52 is the strongest rating. Clamps can't reach into the middle of your thighs, forearms, shins and so on. Magnets are also great for holding snap strips/webbing on.

How much pull force should the magnets have, minimum?

• 1 month later...

I was trying to stay out of this but since I got pinched AND IT DREW BLOOD last weekend... they literally flew from two sides of the table... I wouldn't let any of these magnets near anyone under the age of 38.

lol Ingrid, I don't know how many old threads I have looked through as research and seen comments like this from you. Hilarious. :laugh1: