Just bought Jedi robe Stormtrooper set. Is it really that bad?

First off I am new to Star Wars costumes. I always wanted a stormtrooper outfit and was looking for a finished stormtrooper outfit and came across Jedi-robe.com. That's about the only one I seen online. The rest were all kits.

Of coarse after I ordered it I found out about the 501st and found this site.

Question is the Jedi robes full stormtrooper that bad? It's on the way here so I don't have a choice. They claim it is used in the 501st legion club. I was looking at The 501st costume requirements and the only issue I see is that it does not have a canvas belt.

What else should I be aware of with the Jedi robes stormtrooper?

Where can I get a better stormtrooper costume? I have the chance to get a first generation FX armor, but I will have to put it together. Is that a bad kit as well?

Please post your opinion and any links or contacts to better armor

Thanks

Try checking out this forum "The various types of armor and where to get them"

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11538

My Jedi-robe order was in their store ready to ship that day when I first discovered FISD. Got it cancelled in the nick of time. A few pages in that forum is a guy who bought from there and he posts pictures. He also modded his suit to 501 standards. He could help you out info wise.

Dan,

I hate to be so blunt but unfortunatley it is, in fact, that bad.

If you look in the forums there are threads realted to the particular problems with the Jedi-Robe armor. (and there are many) I am sorry you didn't find the FISD first because when it comes to most commercially available armor...

"It's a trap!"

However, it isn't all so negative as it seems. You can easily resell that armor on ebay, or simply inquire with Jedi-Robe about a return and a refund. I think that has been known to have happened before.

Please consider one of the many reputable manufacturers found here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11538

Good luck and keep researching!

Now you have found the 501st and this forum you will see why most guys advise against Jedi Robes "ready to wear" Stormtrooper costumes.

Yes it is the only one you can buy that you don't have to make, a big selling point to new guys.

Unfortunately the more you learn the more you will need to fix. Boots, belt, gloves,fit,cover strips, joining methods, velcro and elastic, and the rest.

The Emerald Garrison has had a few guys buy this stuff [before reading anything or before joining]and every one has been weak in a few areas, cracks, even before they take it out of the box . I could believe their's were just rare bad pulls/plastic but when EVERYONE who knows about the alternatives says to avoid, there must be problems with the stuff!

Ignoring the recasted parts, ignoring the mess of a helmet and believing their description about the product is really common.

As a Star Wars fan who always wanted a Stormtrooper costume you are exactly the same as everyone here, and like a lot of others maybe believed that JR were selling the best available costume, it has a big pricetag, big shop windows and is heavily advertised, the complete opposite of some of the best armour available.

Before you buy any other Stormtrooper armour, take a bit of time reading this forum, avoid the early FX kit if you are wanting to go for accuracy.

There are a few good suppliers of armour, good luck.

I would not suggest that first gen FX kit. 650 sounds like alot considering the age of that kit. The FX is okay for approval and can even be made EIB quality, but it is the most inaccurate of the options. You can find many more accurate armor kits for a much cheaper price with great customer service and excellent quality.

Anything you lose on shipping will be better in the long run than trying to modify Jedi-Robes kit.

I have heard that RT-Mod is good for taller troopers, and from my understanding Rob, who makes them , provides excellent customer service and top-notch armor. His armor comes as pre-trimmed ABS. You can take a look in the link I provided above to get his contact info.

AM is also built for the bigger troopers but don't get the helmet as it is most likely that it will soon not be approvable, just get a helmet from a different supplier. AM is also pre-trimmed ABS and having almost completed an untrimmed (helmet) kit I must say I'm really glad that my first armour build was pre-trimmed.

I looked at the Jedi Robe armour myself just last year when I was first looking for armour, luckily I was already kind of aware of the 501st and the claim of it being 501st Approved prompted me to contact my local garrison and ask if that was correct, they quickly set me on the right track :)

Edited by Kade

I've seen a JediRobe kit up close, and it really is as bad as everyone says. Can it be made 501st-acceptable? Yes, but only after spending more time and money on it than you would have if you bought a kit from one of the armorers here, and even then I doubt it would survive more than a handful of troops before falling apart.

It's basically recast FX armor paired with a recast SDS helmet and a weird-looking blaster, and very poor quality at that. The armor is made of a thin styrene-type material (the good stuff is typically made of ABS), and the kit I saw had waves in some very prominent places - all evidence of a vac-former that either doesn't know or doesn't care about what he's doing. The fact that on top of that they charge so much for it adds insult to injury. Furthermore, at your size I can't imagine getting one of these kits to fit you without a ton of shimming, and that's on top of the work you'd already have to put in to bring it up to par.

As far as a recommended kit, the two kits that normally come pretrimmed are RT-Mod and AM. The other armorers will trim and even build your kit for you - as long as you are willing to pay extra for that service. Between the two, I'd go with AM. It's less accurate than RT Mod, but better suited towards muscular guys who lean more towards "big" versus "tall". If you were taller (around 6'3" or so) and relatively thin-limbed, I'd recommend RT Mod.

As Mark said, if you do go with an AM kit get the helmetless (AM Lite) kit.

In addition to the threads that have already been mentioned, have a look at these:

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=12693

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=18965

Finally, it would be good of you to post a short introduction here: http://www.whitearmo...php?showforum=5

Definitely agree with the AM lite kit! That's what I bought. It will not only fit you well with little trimming, but it's also not as expensive as some of the others - cheaper than JR.

I put together my kit and got Expert Infantry with my AM lite kit and MTK helmet. Mighty Tank has kit(s) available now. His armor is awesome!

I wear RT-MOD armor, I am 5'11" 215 LBS and I work out a lot. I love the armor and Rob was great to work with it. Plus the helmet came assembeled and ready to wear. All I added was fans to the inside.

My build link: http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=18247

-Gerrit

Edited by TK-7186

Hi Dan,

I have Jedi Robe armour and after much work and effort managed to get it 501st approved. However, if I had had the option I would have returned it. I had to make the most of a bad job so went down the modification route. My 'ready to wear' armour fitted so badly I could hardly walk in it. It took me two months of hard work to get the armour to a reasonable standard. If it's any help I have included my link.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18997&hl=&fromsearch=1

I may have been lucky but my armour hasn't fallen to bits after a couple of troops. However, even though I am now UKG approved I have ordered an AP kit for both my wife and myself. For what it's worth the cost of both kits was about what I paid for the Jedi Robe. :huh:

Ian

Well I got the outfit and it was poorly made, not to mention they sent me the wrong size armor. Was suppose to be xl armor and they sent standard. Also seen the waves of plastic runs in some of the armor along with some other issues.

I just mailed it back to them today, wasted $166 on shipping. Hope they don't try and scam me on the refund. I did pay through PayPal using a visa, so I could file a claim if something shady happens.

Now I just need to find a replacement.

Hello Dan - I am a bit taller than you (6'3") and I ordered the RT-MOD kit from Rob and so far it is coming together very well. I am using overlap construction so far, so you would likely have to trim & butt-join for most of the kit. The AM lite kit would also be good for you size-wise - so I understand. They were my 2nd choice, but I didn't want the hassle of finding a helmet. I know the ATA helmet is a good one, and reasonably priced, but the lead time may be a bit long. The helmet that came with my kit was pre-assembled. Rob does sell the helmets separately, so I would inquire with him if you're interested.

Good luck!

Ouch, Dan! :)

I wonder if it's worth it to force them to reimburse you the shipping too? After all, THEY sent the wrong product! They should be including a "return" shipping label if they have any customer sense at all. I'm sure they didn't, but it doesn't hurt to request it.

Good luck with your new (reputable) kit, whatever you choose... even though a trimmed kit still needs assembly and fitting, you'll be SO glad you did!

Ouch, Dan! :)

I wonder if it's worth it to force them to reimburse you the shipping too? After all, THEY sent the wrong product! They should be including a "return" shipping label if they have any customer sense at all. I'm sure they didn't, but it doesn't hurt to request it.

Good luck with your new (reputable) kit, whatever you choose... even though a trimmed kit still needs assembly and fitting, you'll be SO glad you did!

Yes I am going to request to be reimburse for the shipping since they sent the wrong size. Doubt they will pay it though per their return policy. But if they don't I will file a claim with my visa / paypal. I took lots of photos of the armor along with a tape measure showing they sent the wrong size.

Definitely agree with the AM lite kit! That's what I bought. It will not only fit you well with little trimming, but it's also not as expensive as some of the others - cheaper than JR.

I put together my kit and got Expert Infantry with my AM lite kit and MTK helmet. Mighty Tank has kit(s) available now. His armor is awesome!

How do I find the MTK helmet? I did not see it on the reference list of reliable vendors. Is it the best helmet out there?

thanks

First, I want to say welcome to the FISD brother(and sister)hood!! Always good to have some more shiny cannon fodder.

I will second what people are saying. We're pretty much he same size. Well... I was that size. Living in Japan has made me shrink like a pair of new jeans. I got the AM lite kit, and I would recommend it. It's solid and comfortable. There's plenty to work with, so fitting is fairly easy (although time consuming).

Helmets: mine is TE2 from scootch on this forum. Least, he was on the forum. I assume he still is. It's nice. They're not hard to assemble, but it is made of HIPS - not ABS. So yoi have to be a little careful not to tear it, as it's basically a compressed styrofoam cup.

A little about trimming: you're right. It can be a pain. I recently found an ABS shaving from my kit in my apartment. A year and a half later. On another continent. How did that happen?? But despite the time involved, it is well worth it to see the whole project coming together. If nothing else, you can get a perfect fit.

My two cents.

How do I find the MTK helmet? I did not see it on the reference list of reliable vendors. Is it the best helmet out there?

thanks

Our list of reliable vendors:

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=11538

I must be blind, I don't see anything in that reliable vender list that says "MTK", was it taken down or am I just missing it? Can someone copy and paste info for "MTK"

thanks.

MTK got his permission to sell his helmets here revoked because he did not want to prove their linage (despite given a really long time to do it), thus breaking our anti-recasting policy. Therefore I will not provide any contact information about MTK. Any kind of [screen accurate] ABS helmet kit will be equal or better than MTK, so it's not a huge loss for the community.