How do I make those perfectly straight cuts on butt joined pieces?

I have been a full time lurker since about Halloween '11 I have posted a little here and there but really wanted to research thoroughly. I got an ATA ABS kit and have been cutting on it for about a month. I have made decent progress, but would like to get the butt joins cut and taped for test fitting before posting an official ongoing build thread.

I do use the search function when trying to figure out how to do things and it has helped until now, but I have specific questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to.

How can I get the butt joined parts and the strips cut?

Supplies I have are as follows:

curved lexan scissors

x-acto knife w/ extra blades

heavy box knife w/ extra blades

18 inch flexible metal ruler w/ cork like backing (nice one)

frog tape

crappy dollar tree off white masking tape

sandpaper varying from 100 grit to 320

How do I make this work guys?

Admittedly, I have avoided anything that has to do with measuring and have eyeballed everything up to this point where I am forced to deal with numbers (I hate math)

I'm mostly weary of trying to convert the mm into inches so I can use my ruler.

Plus, I have been forseeing myself not making a straight line and cutting the butt join edges into a V and creating a lot of work to correct or just plain ruining my armor...

Help please??!!

Edited by bigtrev503

What i did was get a mm and inches ruler and used the mm to measure how much to cut of of the arms and legs. I am 5'10 and 180 so i cut my arms so the strip was 15 mm and the legs where 20 mm, i measured from the straightedge of the plastic out, so on each side for the arms i had 7.5 mm and the legs 10. so if you add them both up it is 15 mm for the arms and 20 mm for the legs. I just followed whatever piece i was measuring at the time from the top to the bottem so it would be uniform measurement all the way down, then once i cut that part i would use a piece of sand paper on a flat piece of wood and sand the part i just cut, So once you are done with lets say your forearm on both side i would cut a inside piece and then glue one side on, then once it dried i would glue the other side on and keep this up until you are done. Just be careful if you are a bigger or smaller guy these measurements might not work. Always cut a little off at a time and always tape the two pieces together and check the fit on your body.

I use a flexible metal ruler of the appropriate length, clamp and/or tape it in place so that it can't move, and score several times along the edge.

I used my finish/cover strip. I knew that was a straight edge. I cut my finishing strips on my table saw. I clamped the finishing strip onto the thigh or shin or forearm; wherever I wanted to make my line, traced the edge, and placed tape along that line to give my eye something to follow when cutting. When the tape was in place, I removed the clamps and cut along the tape line. But like everone else says: score it with utility knife and snap it! Make sure you have a new or VERY sharp blade!

I just used a metal ruler long enough for my cut and clamped it to the plastic and scored and snapped it off. It comes out pretty clean right off the bat but you can sand to smooth the edges a little.

Long metal ruler, magnets to clamp down, score slightly, score again, score again.

You can start to put more pressure on now as you've made a wee little line.

Take the ruler off, bend with hands or pliers if small and then wire wool the cut section.

It's easier to do this with the inside of the plastic, not the high gloss cap part. But...it's harder to form a line inside the parts sadly

Thank you all! I will begin cutting straight lines this afternoon and will begin my official build thread either tomorrow or the next day.

Speaking of perfectly straight lines; how about the belt and knee ammo? Should I use the score and snap method or just draw a guideline and follow it with my scissors?

Edited by bigtrev503

Can anyone tell me what the "side B" means on the ATA cover strip sheet? I'm assuming it is the non shiny side, hence why it is marked with a marker, but wanted to check to be sure before cutting. Also, I have had to store my unfinished parts in the same box it came in and the sheets were at the bottom. Now, when I pulled them out for the first time in some months, they have been scratched to heck by the raw edges of the other pieces clanging around in there. Should I sand and polish the sheets now, or wait until they are cut and attached?