Help with fogging.

Anybody have any suggestions on help with fogging OTHER than buying a fan?

Don't really want to have to put a fan in my helmet at this point. However, if this continues, it may come down to that.

My helmet is fogging to the point of being completly blind within the first 10 seconds of having it on.

You can try and give your lenses some anti-fog liquid on the inside, or just make sure they are comletely clean. The fog mostly sticks to dirt or grease on the lenses. Also try only breathing out of your nose, so you wont blow your moist air up on the lenses.

Although the best choice, would be to get a fan.

But remember that when trooping outside the wind will also help with the fogging issue.

My first troop in Birmingham, Alabama I did without fans and had the same problem - a guy in my garrison told me to rub spit (yes SPIT) into the lenses on the inside. It worked a treat and I was able to see for the next 3 hours the troop lasted. I am planning to get fans installed but if you have no other option or you suffer a fan malfunction, give it a try.

Spit is an old divers trick. :)

Too bad spit can smell a bit bad when it dries out. It's easier for divers since it's wet all the time.

It's not even hot in Washington but I can't imagine trooping without a fan... The kits on here are a bit spendy but probably worth it, or you can look into making one yourself for quite a bit less. If you PM LadyInWhite she can probably get some squirrel fans for you along with whatever else you need.

Don't know dude. Between experience in paintball etc. fans are really the only way to make it work most of the time. It's just the physics of it all you're battling.

Ahhh you guys are talking me into it!

my lenses are not sealed, so I thought that would help. The spit thing....

uh... ew. :huh:

ANNNYYway :laugh1:

It looks like it will come down to a fan. I am just worried about the bulkiness, the noise, if it will be annoying, where I will mount it, if it will fall out, the list goes on and on.

I mount mine next to my temples, and the padding keeps them from digging in. The air blows around the front of my face, right over the visor. They can be loud, I think it comes down to how they are mounted, but I'm not sure. They generally aren't too bad.

Spit is an old divers trick. :)

Too bad spit can smell a bit bad when it dries out. It's easier for divers since it's wet all the time.

Professional saturation divers use a little amount of washing-up liquid these days. It works just like the anti-fog spray that was also mentioned.

To apply it, just smear it on with your finger. ;)

Edited by McQ

Professional saturation divers use a little amount of washing-up liquid these days. It works just like the anti-fog spray that was also mentioned.

To apply it, just smear it on with your finger. ;)

Mmm, lemon fresh soap smell in my bucket! :)

Also the "nose blocker" works really well. Take a small strip of foam and mount it just under the eyes of the helmet. the foam strip should just rest over the bridge of your nose. This will keep your breath from going back up into the top of the helmet and fogging the lenses.. I have used this since day one and have never had fogging issues.

I had fogging at a troop today and someone gave me a wet wipe I wiped the lenses went back out and had no further problems. My lenses are sealed more or less, this fix was cheap and effective.

Wait have you actually trooped with it on or does it just fog up when you've tried it on?

When you're trooping moving around circulates air and hey presto! Generally defogs. ;)

Edited by Spectre

I have mine set up like Hunterhwt said, leaving a small gap between the lens marerial and the eye opening. This usually lets moet of the hot air escape, so I stay fog-free.

Again, have you trooped with it on? Or just tried it on while standing/sitting still?

Also breathe out of your nose too, don't breathe out of your mouth or you're just asking for trouble. ;)

Again, have you trooped with it on? Or just tried it on while standing/sitting still?

Also breathe out of your nose too, don't breathe out of your mouth or you're just asking for trouble. ;)

+1 ... especially true in paintball.

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up playing hockey, we had this same problem with our eye visors. There is a nice product on the market that keeps hockey visors from fogging up. Not sure if it will work on the trooper helmets, but I am planning on trying it when I get mine built.

----------

Steve

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Well, I have the "nose blocker" foam, my lenses have alot of breathing room because they are screwed in and not glued. Still was having issues. This is both with trooping and trying it on. Trooping is acutally worse, because walking around alot in the heat, I breathe more heavily. I did find a product in the clothing sales on base that is used for anti fogging of tactical goggles. I coated 'em with that and so far so good. We'll see if it keeps up.