Centurion and Mods

Hello,

I am looking into buying an AP kit and making it Centurion grade armor. I was also thinking about putting LED's in the Helmet to make the lenses and frown glow in the dark. Would this make my armor not of Centurion Grade? And does a speaker system also lessen the Centurion quality?

ThanKs,

Jimmy :trooper:

Don't put leds in the lenses (and if you do, at least make them hidden). That's for republic commandos. A speaker system does nothing to centurion. Again, it has to be hidden.

Hidden speaker go, LED's no-go.

Centurion means going as screen accurate as possible, and there are no glowing helmets on screen ;)

EDIT: Aaaand Mathias beat me to it...

Edited by Arnie_DK

As long as you cannot see the lights when they are off there shouldn't be any problems with Centurion. But if you alter the helmet so the holes or slots or whatever shows the light when they are on I would say yes, that will keep you from it.

As long as they are off and nothign is differnet with the armor you should be okay. Speaker system is the same thing. As long as it is not visible you are okay.

And I will edit to say this, TK's do not have lights in theire helmets. I wouldn't put them in.

Edited by Tray

Okay, I thought it'd be neat. I want to make it like it just came off the set of ANH (though my fav. Episode is ESB). Is a strap more accurate, cause I've seen TK Centurions with straps before.

EDIT: And the LEDs would be on the inside, haha, it would look tacky on the outside.

Edited by BigSlimJimmy

Actually, i think the only visible off-screen feature allowed for Centurion, is the mesh underneath the frown, to help hide your skin when in public.

Edited by Arnie_DK

Or put mesh and and not have a balaclava :)

Centurion is meant to go after the most accurate Legion acceptable stormtrooper. There are a lot of flaws in the actual props that you can't see while watching on the big screen for the few seconds they are there, but people do see when freeze framing and zooming in on a BluRay. The Legion is about capturing what appears on screen vs. prop replication per se, so while we go down most of the path, you can't quite go all the way and have gaffers tape, crappy paint, etc.

Matthias has the right of it when coming to lights - nothing visible and you're fine.

I just thought, how do you recognize a TK in the dark, why, LEDs, of course! I think it would be cool at events!

Just remember that if its dark and you turn on your LEDs inside your helmet, you wont be able to see a thing, althoug people will be able to see your eyes, and maybe even your face, quite clearly.

It has pretty much been all said about LEDs and other add-ons, and I thought I had a good idea of what Centurion required, however I am surprised with two things:

Or put mesh and and not have a balaclava.

And...

you can't quite go all the way and have gaffers tape, crappy paint, etc.

What brings me to this question:

Is a weathered armor, chipped helmet, crappy painted boots and white gaffers tape in ankles a No go for centurion...

Cuase even though I have no TK amor, I am planning to build one this year and my ultimate goal is to make it as screen used accurate as possible and go for EIB and Centurion.

:)

Don't mean to kidnap the thread, but I guess it still keeps inside the "Centurion and Mods" topic.

Saludos.

Centurion is to go as screen acurate as possible, but still intended for the public eye. As I recall scuffed/worn boots is a recuirement for Centurion.

But the gaffers/duckt tape solutions was last minute fixes in the movies, and therefor not really screen acurate(although it is. Get my meaning?).

But you can choose to do with your armour as you want. Afterall it is yours and you should do with it what you want, and not what the other kids think is cool ;)

But for EIB and Centurion status, I think you should keep to the requirements in the CRL.

If I'm wrong, then somebody please correct me.

Morten - you are 100% correct. As Centurion is an add on to the Legion standards, it still has to be Legion approvable in the end. Flubs such as duct tape, crappy paint, etc. may be OK from a prop replication standpoint, but aren't as noted what was intended and not what one sees on screen when things are moving, and thus not allowed on a Legion approvable costume.

However...in informal events you can do as you wish as long as it falls within your garrison's guidelines. For instance at a convention...

I'd suggest looking at a lot of reference photos both screen captures from the movies and pictures from the lucasfilm archives, you'll find links to both here at the forums.

And you might also want to check out Centurion applicant threads and maybe the build threads leading up to them to get a good idea of what an armor of Centurion grade looks like.

But most of all, look at reference photos, if you would like the armor to look like it came off the set.

A good set of armor is this one:-----------

Regarding the LEDs, I can't remember seeing anyone doing it, and can't imagine it looking good...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021