Disneyland "Armor"?

I've been curious for a while what "armor" Disneyland is using for their Jedi Academy show.

Found today a high resolution image of one of their guys walking around.

What "armor" do you think this is? And correct me if i'm wrong but is the bucket and ab buttons a mix of ANH and ESB color wise/stripes etc...

StormTroopers012812AVP.jpg

Edited by Trooper324

It's a custom kit made to Disney's specs. Obviously ROTJ-inspired but with details (frown, handplates, etc.) that most of us here would easily spot as ANH.

More details here----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Accuracy aside, keep in mind that these are made specifically to allow the performers to do things that would be hard to pull off in normal TK gear.

And they have to be adjusted for each performer, the eyes are also not lens like material they are more like the other "toons" that walk around. They are like a black almost fabric like material.

On 1/31/2012 at 6:15 AM, Locitus said:

Accuracy aside, keep in mind that these are made specifically to allow the performers to do things that would be hard to pull off in normal TK gear.

like Danny Choo?

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Here at Wally World it is a mix of all 3 movies as far as look. When I went up and actually handled the armor it was very thin, my guess is HIPS, stuff. From a distance it looks ok but up close :shok: . As someone else stated it has to fit all kinds of different people, not a suit for each person that plays the role. And while they are only in it for a few minutes each time, several times a day, I'm sure they go through it pretty quick just because of the abuse it gets.

Edited by darksideemt

I have copied a message from the RPF of the guy who helped make the new Disney suits....

I totally agree with the general opinion that the previous Disney suits were crap. To give a little background on those suits;

Disney did NOT make them. I know many Disney artisans, and trust me, they are MUCH better than that.

The old suits were manufactured for the Lucas Super-Live Adventure, and were cast off of a ROTJ stunt suit. They are modified, cut, and butchered so extensively because the Super Live Adventure was a heavy "stunt" show. The show was produced by Kenneth Feld, a big producer of Ice Shows and Circuses. Who exactly made the armor is unknown. When the Super Live Adventure flopped (predictably), apparently Disney purchased the Star Wars costumes, because not only were they using the trooper armor in the park, they were using the Greedo and Gamorrean Guard mask a friend of mine made.

It is actually because of Star Wars Weekends that Disney made the plunge and upgraded the trooper armor. They listened to the critiques of the 501st and invested in armor that is much more appreciated by the fans.

When the company that I worked for at the time was awarded the project of creating the new armor, I was ecstatic! We decided to approach the re-build with a certain philosophy; upon examining original trooper armor we determined that the original manufacturer probably didn't have the time, and the full knowledge/appreciation of the human anatomy and it's bio-mechanical interaction with armor. Our shop has EXTENSIVE armor experience, and anatomical sculpting is second-nature to us. We decided to make the armor as it "should" have been made.

Firstly, we made it symmetrical. Secondly, we made it actually "fit" a person. Third, we made it so you could actually move and function in it, and fourth, we made it out of the best materials for the intended application. Aside from our in-house standards, we then had to accomadate Disneys requirements of aesthetics, safety concerns, the size of their performers, and of course the ever-present budget and schedule. And THEN it still has to meet with Lucas approval.

In the end it was an AMAZING experience for me to be a part of the official Star Wars world.....even if I was on the outer-rim worlds. I had learned a lot from my employer. I had resisted his suggestions in the beginning about some of the sculpting, myself being a Star Wars purist. But in the end, when I saw how good the armor looked, it looked more heroic and muscular, it looked like a formidable soldier. I thought, "my boss is right! THIS is how armor SHOULD look". I understand that they are quite different than the original trilogy, and I still love the look of those suits, but I also love our suits too.

I was able to get up close and personal with one of the guys wearing one back stage at the re-opening of star tours in Orlando. The stuff is really weird. It's definitely made specifically to allow flexibility in movement. These guys can run, jump dance, and pretty much do ANYTHING in their armor. The helmets are really funny looking up close and seem a bit large. The tears on the sides have mesh so they can see. Weirdest thing was looking at the mesh tears and seeing an eyeball looking right at you! All of the folks I saw wearing the suits were Dancer/Performer types. Very strange seeing a Stormtrooper doing Pirouettes at 5 in the morning.

I have an old Disney tour suit that I just acquired and it is made of 2.5-3mm pinseal very sturdy and yes cut down. The shins are shortened from the bottom and the thighs are shortened from the top. The ab plate is overly short as is almost every other torso part.

The shoulder bells are not huge as Vern put it but actually just cut down more, so slightly smaller but they do have a nice ROTJ pinch to them. Everything looks to have been cast from a Jedi suit.

I was under the impression that the suits were almost rubbery for the ease of dancing but the one I have certainly isn't. It's painted white on top of the ABS. The bastardized helmet is fiberglass. and has mesh accross the opened up eyes and the tears have been cut out and mesh over holes where you would normally find mic tips......

It's still a nice historic piece for my collection and I will find a use for some of the parts that are missing from the moulds I use to produce my armour. Like the other shin, correct shoulder bells and possibly other parts. I will need to add the lenght of the parts again but at least I don't have to start from scratch and I'll be able to for the first time supply a complet suit with all lefts and rights......

Kydex is strong stuff and does not break....and one 4 x 8 sheet here is $120.00 - ABS is only $28.00 a sheet, same price as styrene:)

I have seriously thought of switching over to Kydex. My plastics guy says that you can get better detail than ABS with 3 times the strength...Only problem is its not as glossy.. :( more like a shiny styrene

Edited by TK-4510