What do you think of this recast armor?

Solcar23

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300637307504?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1120wt_1176

Just saw this and thought it didn't look too bad but the price made me wonder what was really going on. It also says its styrene which I haven't seen anyone offer around here...........I'm too green to tell.

Styrene isn't as common to be sure, but it is used sometimes. The only thing to note with styrene is that if you want the glossy white look you will definitely have to paint your armor as you would with HIPS. ABS has the advantage of being glossy out of the box. Styrene is a very flat matte plastic.

The only time you should buy armor off of eBay is if someone here on these forums is putting their armor up for sale, that way you know the seller and the quality. Otherwise, as tempting as it may seem, don't buy armor from eBay, you never know the quality you'll be getting.

I own this armor. YOU MUST PASS IF YOU ARE GOING TO TROOP IN IT!!!! This armor is good for display only! The styrene is thin...REALLY thin. Once painted it looks wonderful and the molds are accurate. However, it got VERY brittle very fast. My first troop was in late June and the armor needs to be replaced. I have done MANY repairs, and finally had the kidney split right down the middle top to bottom. I had to already replace the legs with ATA's because the originals disintegrated. I learned the hard way..you get what you pay for. It will make an awsome display piece, but nothing more.

styrene is the "S" in HIPS, (high impact poly styrene). Same plastic as TE, TE2, cap and the first ATA. it does need to be painted. as stated prior, ABS is more durable and does not require painting.

I would stay away from ebay when it comes to unknown armor.

Edited by TK4205

Thanks for the info! I am already on the waiting list for the next ATA ABS run (please God soon!!!!) so I wasn't really entertaining this one but I can truly dig how ebay isn't the place! I really didn't think styrene was all that durable (considering the fragility of a plastic model). Well anyway, maybe someone will read this thread before bidding on this stuff and it'll save them some trouble!

I own this armor. YOU MUST PASS IF YOU ARE GOING TO TROOP IN IT!!!! This armor is good for display only! The styrene is thin...REALLY thin. Once painted it looks wonderful and the molds are accurate. However, it got VERY brittle very fast. My first troop was in late June and the armor needs to be replaced. I have done MANY repairs, and finally had the kidney split right down the middle top to bottom. I had to already replace the legs with ATA's because the originals disintegrated. I learned the hard way..you get what you pay for. It will make an awsome display piece, but nothing more.

Give that man an A for honesty! :salute: Wish more had your integrity in this hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

I built 4 amors in 2 years and this was one of them (for my step son) and its the only one i sold . The shin cracked.

Here's my step son in it . (he wore Fx handguards then that's why they don't match the suit)

020.jpg

021.jpg

Edited by Quebectrooper

• 1 month later...