Snaps, Rivets, Belt, etc...

I've done a lot of searching and it seems that any posts that may be helpful, are missing images.

Are there tutorials about attaching the belt and where the rivets and snaps should go (measurements, pics, etc?) that include rivet and snap sizes, etc?

Do you drill a hole the size of the snap head (for lack of a better term) through the ab piece to allow the snap to connect to the belt?

I've not worked at all with snaps or rivets before and while I have the tools now, I'm still failing a bit on my test bits of material to get it right. With the plastic armor, is it always necessary to use a washer on the far side of the rivet for it to grip? if so, do most hardware stores that carry the rivets also sell washers that match the rivet size?

1/8 rivets are to be used on knee plate? What bout for the holster?

Edited by YouCantBe Sidious

Heres a few to look at.

--------

Its good to use washers on the back of rivets because if you don't, it could begin to warp the plastic around the hole. Yes, most hardware stores will sell rivet washers right next to all the boxes of rivets. You should probably get a package that has 2 different sizes with different lengths of each size. Its up to you though on what rivets you want to use and it depends on what you are going for. If you just want a basic suit to wear then 1/8 are ok, but if you want to get EIB then I would suggest using bigger sized rivets like 3/16 or 5/32.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thank you very much! Wasn't really getting what I wanted on the searched! I'll study this tonight and give it ago. My Am kit is trimmed and ready to be strapped, so it's the last thing from me being ready!

If you just want a basic suit to wear then 1/8 are ok, but if you want to get EIB then I would suggest using bigger sized rivets like 3/16 or 5/32.

Could someone please explain to me the difference between the rivet sizes regarding EIB? I'm doing my build for EI approval and I have purchased 1/8 size not knowing. If it has anything to do with the requirements, I'll take them back and get the bigger size for sure. Thank you!

• 6 months later...

I am going for EIB, so any rivet advice would be cool. I am going to glue my sniper knee plate as suggested in other threads, but want to know if they look for a specific rivet size on the thigh ammo box for EIB?

I am going for EIB, so any rivet advice would be cool. I am going to glue my sniper knee plate as suggested in other threads, but want to know if they look for a specific rivet size on the thigh ammo box for EIB?

If you want accuracy you should use 8 mm cap rivets. Failing that, next best is 8 mm split rivets or other kind of solid head rivet. Failing that, pop rivets. Any solid head rivet is acceptable for centurion. For EIB anything mentioned goes.

• Like 1

If you want accuracy you should use 8 mm cap rivets. Failing that, next best is 8 mm split rivets or other kind of solid head rivet. Failing that, pop rivets. Any solid head rivet is acceptable for centurion. For EIB anything mentioned goes.

Thanks- I will take these notes with me to Home Depot today!

Sadly my local hardware store has a limited variety of rivets- mainly 1/8 inch (3mm) and 3/16 inch (5mm). Would a chicago screw be better than an incorrect rivet size?

Sadly my local hardware store has a limited variety of rivets- mainly 1/8 inch (3mm) and 3/16 inch (5mm). Would a chicago screw be better than an incorrect rivet size?

Not really. Try to find them on ebay instead. You'll need a few anyways. And what's left you can use to help nearby troopers finish/upgrade their suits.

• 1 month later...

what size in inches?

and what is the post length?

most of the rivets I find are too long a post?

are we talking like a 6mm post length with an 8mm head?

----------

or

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 year later...

If anyone need correct split rivets, let me know. I bought a bag of 100 for the 6 that I needed. Just PM me. I got chu! An attache's job is never done!

Could you post a picture so I know if the ones I got are correct?  Thanks!