TK-0393 AP Build[*AP]

Okay, thanks for the tips! I'm starting on the knee now and will update on success/fail.

In the meantime I followed SIMpixels' excellent guide on creating bicep hooks. Are these acceptable for Centurion?

I really don't care if you have bicep hooks or not, but they do help keeping the biceps in place, And yours look nice, so good job. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't care if you have bicep hooks or not, but they do help keeping the biceps in place, And yours look nice, so good job. :)

Ok, thanks and thanks, Mathias! :) Gluing them on now.

I glued the center of the sniper plate in a position that lined up the best for both sides and then went to work with the heat gun. How does this look for alignment? If it's good I'll hit it up with a nice slathering of E-6000.

IMG_20130107_124001_zps337cd472.jpg

IMG_20130107_124131_zps44c271a6.jpg

IMG_20130107_124050_zps5a36d52f.jpg

I also finished up the thermal detonator tank:

2013-01-06_15-03-46_721_zps61a7b068.jpg

2013-01-06_15-04-04_975_zps35eeef4e.jpg

Edited by Jancelot

Since it's AP, technically it can be a little wonky. You can tilt the left side up and bring that wing in to the shin a bit more.

Here's a thread where I posed the sniper plate question:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22551-anh-sniper-plate-issue/#entry282264

Very nice work on that sniper plate well done, shouldn't be too much longer until you are finished :duim:

Once again the heat gun saves the day.

I've followed your thread and I admire your work! You are very thorough and not afraid to fix what needs to be fixed.

Edited by Nicky

Thank you all for the kudos and encouragement! I can't believe it's over a year since I started this project. I'm basically externally complete at this point and just waiting for the final elements to dry. I'm certain they'll be some internal padding and adjustments, but submission will be coming shortly. And none too soon as the wife is due any day now. :)

I want to send out retro thanks to chookaboom for the pics he sent of his AP sniper plate as well. On that note I had an idea to adjust the angle of the sniper plate to line up a bit better. I bent an ABS strip over at a slight angle which I'm gluing at the bottom of where the plate will sit on the leg. This piece will slightly push the bottom out about 5mm and the angle up. No one really sees from the below the knee (except crawling toddlers and my dog and they can't talk :)), but the sides and top are much more visible. I'll have results of this attempt in a couple days.

IMG_20130108_141752_zps220af8e9.jpg

Ok, forgot about the knee ammo belt. I was about to hammer down the cap rivets and wanted to double-check my placement. I used the paint can method to round the corners. Thoughts?

IMG_20130109_122810_zpsa6b6df65.jpg

IMG_20130109_122744_zps0a8b492a.jpg

It is a little straight, you could use the bottom of a spray can to get the right roundness, would look so much better, there is a thread here :duim:

Hmm, I did use that method. Perhaps my can was wonky. :) I'll hit it up with some sand paper to smooth it out and shape it a bit more.

Here is the initial result of the sniper plate lift. I'm just holding the sides down with my hand and haven't used the heat gun, either.

PhotoGrid_1357769157250_zps27e23b3b.png

Hmm, I did use that method. Perhaps my can was wonky. :) I'll hit it up with some sand paper to smooth it out and shape it a bit more.

It's just a bit square on the ends of the curve, sand paper should work :duim:

Sniper plate looks nice, gap under the front is quite a bit, maybe try half the thickness, definately pulls it up a lot, seems like it is nice and straight across the front too, well done

Results of the lifter shim with a 5mm spacing. I have not applied any heat at this point, nor are the sides glued down. My replacement knee plate arrived pre-trimmed so I didn't have the option of leaving a mm of plastic or so on the front-bottom lip. The sides line up much better and the front side edges will conform with a bit of heat. I'm feeling as though this is sort of 6 vs. a half-dozen here.

PhotoGrid_1357864196167_zpsd312cc4e.png

PhotoGrid_1357864124301_zpsba74666c.png

Cool, I'm going to have at it with the heat gun.

In the meantime I did a trial fit and my biggest concern is with the torso. The front pops over the ab section and the gap between the back and kidney is rather large.

My notes:

• front torso overlaps ab at times (shorten elastic straps?)
  • gap between back and kidney is too large (shorten elastic straps?)
  • side gaps can be decreased about 5-10mm
  • the right thigh is sagging
  • knee ammo belt is taped on one side (rivet popped)
  • helmet is missing the s-trim
  • left shin is lacking velcro in the back; sniper plate sides need to be shaped and glued
  • bicep straps need to be tweaked
  • white elastic is missing on shoulder straps (also need to re-shape at least the left one a bit)
  • possible trim bottom of shins as gap is small (and regular walking is very difficult)
  • TD canister - embiggen the gap in the metal strips as it doesn't fit snug on top of the belt

Thoughts?

IMG_1791Medium_zps24a9cb89.jpg

IMG_1793Medium_zps20d2e7f4.jpg

IMG_1794Medium_zpsa39d2b59.jpg

IMG_1796Medium_zpsc825ed77.jpg

IMG_1798Medium_zpse54b2abd.jpg

IMG_1801Medium_zps8446bd3f.jpg

IMG_1806Medium_zpsd90f549c.jpg

IMG_1812Medium_zps615d9832.jpg

Edited by Jancelot

Coming along nicely, won;t be long now. My observations based beyond what you mentioned:

• tighten the butt to cod strapping, the cod is a little "happy"
  • losen strapping between chest and back so they both come down more. Back toward kidney and chest over the ab
  • ditch that undersuit top, the sharpie over the logo just stands out too much on the back of your neck.

keep it up!

:duim:

Thanks for the pointers, Charles. I believe I've addressed all of them. An Eastbay under suit is on the way over the Bay Bridge to me. :) Working on the rest today. So close...

side note, I was born in Burlingame and lived in Daly City when I was a youngin'

Cannot wait to see the final tweaks! Good luck, go get that thing approved and then EiB. We need three more!

I'm a Bay Area transplant of 5 years now, but it feels like home. :)

I was mostly out of commission the past couple days fighting off the flu. But I managed to squeeze in most of the updates. As soon as the undersuit arrives I believe I'll be ready for EIB submission.

• knee ammo belt is taped on one side (rivet popped)
  • front torso overlaps ab at times (shorten elastic straps?)
  • gap between back and kidney is too large (shorten elastic straps?)
  • white elastic is missing on shoulder straps
  • ditch that undersuit top, the sharpie over the logo just stands out too much on the back of your neck (this one is on the way so not updated in the pics below)
  • tighten the butt to cod strapping, the cod is a little "happy"
  • side gaps can be decreased about 5-10mm
  • TD canister - embiggen the gap in the metal strips as it doesn't fit snug on top of the belt
  • left shin sniper plate sides need to be shaped and glued
  • loosen strapping between chest and back so they both come down more (update white straps)
  • the right thigh is sagging (lock in thigh lengths)
  • shoulder straps - reshape

PhotoGrid_1358292104464_zpsf12b5e18.png

Edited by Jancelot

Looking very nice there, you could cheat and cover that logo on your undersuit, cloth or duct tape, least get your 501st approval going as it may take a while

Photos were taken yesterday and linked below. Sent off to my GML for basic approval and updating from my FX.

Of course I've already noticed a few items that I want to address. Particularly the thighs. I'm afraid I trimmed them too much at the top and will need to shim them so they can be pulled up more. But I have hope for a couple mods I can do first that will help out.

Submission Photos

action_2_zpse097069c.jpg

Edited by Jancelot