ANH Sniper Plate issue

8BitBry

Disclaimer #1: Noob here, I ordered a "ready-to-modify" kit from AP.

Disclaimer #2: I have beefy calves.

Disclaimer #3: I had to take the shin apart and reassemble with a shim at the front and a 25mm cover strip for sizing.

post-17726-0-32237800-1356905433.jpg

So everything's pretty good with sizing now and I'm trying to reattach the sniper plate. The placement sucked to begin with so I'm trying to fix it.

post-17726-0-85281500-1356905473.jpg

The problem I have is that with the alignment of the plate - it flairs to my "stage left" slightly.

I'm wondering if this is a defect or if this is normal placement.

It feels like it's wrong or could be tweaked slightly to straighten up a bit.

Thoughts?

post-17726-0-05623000-1356905475.jpg

The problem I have is that with the alignment of the plate - it flairs to my "stage left" slightly.

I'm wondering if this is a defect or if this is normal placement.

From what I've been told it's not normal placement but it is something that does happen a bit with the AP sniper plate. We had a similar problem with my plate (also AP) and opted to make it level, even though that would mean it would not align up 100% like it should. I would, if I were you, bring the (for the viewer) right side a little bit up (so when wearing it would be the left side (or outer side)) and/or the other side a little bit down so it is more aligned. You might even want to make use of a heatgun to get it better fitted.

In the end it looks much better aligned :)

I had all sorts if trouble with mine, I could get it to sit straight but then it wouldn't follow the angle of the shin, again with the use of my trusty friend "the heat gun" I managed to fiddle a bit and won in the end

From what I've been told it's not normal placement but it is something that does happen a bit with the AP sniper plate. We had a similar problem with my plate (also AP) and opted to make it level, even though that would mean it would not align up 100% like it should. I would, if I were you, bring the (for the viewer) right side a little bit up (so when wearing it would be the left side (or outer side)) and/or the other side a little bit down so it is more aligned. You might even want to make use of a heatgun to get it better fitted.

In the end it looks much better aligned :)

I agree, thanks Jeroen. Did you end up trimming the top of the shin to get it to visually align properly with the plate or did you leave the shin alone?

Edited by 8BitBry

No problem. We left the shin alone, it was a heatgun and using a bit of pressure while gluing so it would stay in place.. If you look real close at my sniperknee, you could see that it has been deformed a little bit due to the heat (kind of like a S shape) but it's so little that it's not noticeable :)

Edited by svache

I keep 2 small flat pieces of wood at hand just in case there is a warp, sandwich the warp while hot between them and you can bring it back to straight

look at screenshots from the film. the knee is not perfect. it's in fact tilted a bit.

when you stand with your legs apart and thighs on, I believe it's best to align it

to fit the shin top itself.

I aligned mine on the sides and just accepted the front was a bit wonky. I wish I had used the heat gun, as it has caused some stress cracks when I glued the every loving bejeebus outta that thing.

YElml04.jpg

N1boh9d.jpg

kfNtQQS.jpg

stress fractures will happen with the AP plate because it was designed to be riveted, thus able to swivel and move around.

this is why I wanted to allow rivets but have them filled. was shot down.

I aligned mine on the sides and just accepted the front was a bit wonky. I wish I had used the heat gun, as it has caused some stress cracks when I glued the every loving bejeebus outta that thing.

Thanks Charles. Yours looks exactly like how I imagined mine to be placed - I don't think it looks bad when it's placed on my shin, it does however look weird and crooked on its own. It has character imo.

Brian, keep in mind in your last photo posted that your legs are very close together. with your thighs and armour on, you will be standing a bit more wide and it doesn't seem as wonky.

I don't mind the minor cracks, one was easily fixed with that T-shirt/crazy glue trick, plus, it adds a little character. The other area that cracked likely would have cracked with a rivet too assuming it was meant to be riveted and be aligned on the sides. the stress point presented itself during install, not through wearing it.

Brian, keep in mind in your last photo posted that your legs are very close together. with your thighs and armour on, you will be standing a bit more wide and it doesn't seem as wonky.

I don't mind the minor cracks, one was easily fixed with that T-shirt/crazy glue trick, plus, it adds a little character. The other area that cracked likely would have cracked with a rivet too assuming it was meant to be riveted and be aligned on the sides. the stress point presented itself during install, not through wearing it.

Good points, I'll E6000 it and align/conform to the top mold of the shin.

Thanks for everyone's replies.