Latex stunt neck seals research and build thread

I wonder if there is some kind of black latex (or similar rubber) that can be brushed into a mould and reinforced with lycra?

I tried this with some strechy cotton fabric, but it lost some flex.

Can you not make a bowl shaped negative plaster mould and pour latex into it - leave it for a while - then pour out the contents to leave a skin?

That's the way it is usually done. But with the ribs, some air gets trapped. You woud have to rotate the mold constantly for about 30 mins to get a skin of about 1 mm.

BUT wait a minute...how about a combination of the two? Make a thinner skin for the other surface to get the look, then reenfore it with fabric... YES THAT'S IT!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So I will make a seal for a 17" neck, which fits between 16" and 18"

I just pour latex into the mould from a distance into one corner I'd make the mould flat and open on the back.

if you mix paint acrylic paint into latex it works wonders. and making the latex shiny can be done

with acrylic sealer.

Thanks for the tips Vern, but I will use black latex use for clothings and stuff, and polish it with special latex polish :)

oh, and discard my current mold, and build a new one.

Before I do, there is still a question remaining

Is the neck part tapered like scuba neck seal, or should it be straight?

Can't really decide. Until now, I agreed with Juan for the neck part to be straight....unsure.gif

Hi Karin , as Paul says i to would go for straight as seen from some photos thats how i belive they were ;) good on ya girl for pursuing this project cant wait to see the prototype :) .

Edited by SW1

thanks, Steve!

Did some experiments yesterday.

After about 6layers brushed on the mold it was strong enough without backing. You can speed up drying with a hair drier

It will take ages for a finished seal, but it is worth it. and I have to use a new brush or every single layer.

Enforcing with fabric after 2 layers gives a strong skin, but you have to be careful not to trap airbubbles. With all the edges of the ribs, this will be complicated and frustrating.

In the meantime, I work on the "master" rib which will be duplicated for the first proto.

Thanks for all your encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a great project. I found this link about hangman burn from latex neck seal. http://www.newt.com/wohler/diving/dry-suit-neck-seal-burn.html

It might be if relevance to some.

Could it be a dive suit neck seal that is folded over over itself several times to make the ribbed effect?

Does anyone know for real what they really used in the movie? Who would know?

I think this is a great project. I found this link about hangman burn from latex neck seal. http://www.newt.com/...-seal-burn.html

It might be if relevance to some.

Could it be a dive suit neck seal that is folded over over itself several times to make the ribbed effect?

Does anyone know for real what they really used in the movie? Who would know?

Thanks for the link!

But I don't think the "burn" will not be a problem if you wear a balaclava. Besides, I does not need to be "air tight". It is rather lose if you look at the pics.

I don't think it was folded. Looks like a real ribbing, with alternatig "positiv" and "negative" ribs, almost like a sinus curve.

I'll soon have to proto ready!

Edited by Sonnenschein

Have a look at John's foam cast neck seals here.

I've had one of these for a week now for testing and it has no heat problems at all. The foam rubber stuff looks like real rubber but breathes much better and is very very much lighter. :)

Edited by ZeroRoom

• 1 month later...

This not dead. I've been working on it.. slowly.

I found there are 3 adjectives when you want to build a prop:

1) fast

2) cheap

3) accurate

You can't have all 3 at once, just 2

Example:

+) Fast and cheap won't be accurate

+) Fast and accurate won't be cheap

+) Accurate and cheap won't be fast

Get the picture?

I've been slowly working on the ribs for the past 6 weeks (among other things)

Sure, I could have bought several yards of some kind of tubing etc, but I would have been quite pricy. Besides, I couldn't find anything which was accurate for me.

So I made my own out of aluminium, bondo and resin.

Stay tuned!

And please, share any more info/pics/comments you have!

Karin

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at some pictures I have a question?

Is the original a one piece neckseal from a vintage dry suit or did they add ribbing on to an existing dry suit neckseal?

I put some pictures below - the first 2 are just dry suit neckseals I saw in ebay. The 3rd picture is from ANH - (Sorry for the scan quality of this photo)

1) if you look at the strormtrooper on the right - his ribs have a seam line (running along the left side of the neckseal) and the top of the dry suit neck seal seems to be sticking out under his chin.

2) The second trooper in from the right has ribs that are uneven as they go up (some larger and sticking out, and some smaller and inset).

3) Also these neckseals seem to be very differnent in size - the 3rd stormtrooper from the left and the stormtrooper in the center have very large neckseals while the 2 stormtrooper on the right - there neckseals seem smaller and tighter.

4) The center stormtrooper's neckseal seems to be cut several times going up twards his neck - probably for an easier fit (this could be happening on the other troopers but I can't tell from the angle of the photo.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

The above picture comes from book "The Making of Star Wars" the definitive story behind the original film by Rinzler 2007 - on page 215.

Sorry about the scan - it's not the greatest - is some can get a better scan from the book to show what I'm talking about a little better - I would appriciate it.

thanks,

j

I'm trying to answer your question.

I don't think it was a neck seal from a dry wet suit. Something similar, inspired from it. Neck seals a VERY tight, those in the pics look rather loose.

1) It could be be seam line, but also a reflection. Not sure about that. If it is a seam line, it will make my life a lot easier. What to common opinion about it?

2) I think those differences is because the ribs are crunched (becaue they flexible)

3) there are def, different sizes

4) all neck seals were "slashed" to better contour the body, shoulder.

Any, Jack, many thanks for your input! This might help mget my lazy an impolite person off the chair. ;)

Unfortunately, my flat is about to get renovated. Getting a new kitchen, bathroom and balcony.

My workshop (kitchen) already emptied, I only have a small place left to cast hand guards.

It might take 2-3 weeks until I can finish the prototype.

In the meantime, let's do some research again.

Any help is aprreciated!

Karin

You know I would almost be willing to say - the ribs might be black rubber tubes that were attached to some neckseal at just one point (obviously the seam where the ends meet). If they were rubber and attached at just one point - they would stretch with the neckseal as the person put it on and it might explain why some of the ribbs are sticking out on some of the neckseals and why the neckseal is poking out under the chin on the trooper on the far right.

I also noticed on ebay that neckseals are sold in differnt sizes - so maybe the guys with really large neckseals are wearing an XXL neckseal and the guys with tighter ones are wearing a small or extra small.

j