Latex stunt neck seals research and build thread

Due to the encouragement of some troopers (love you, guys!) I really start this new adventure :)

But first, some research needs to be done.

I only have 1 grainy b/w of two troopers during the tantative IV scene.

But I do have lots of the hero one.

Please share if you have more!

A questions just popeed in my head: Did they use a a smooth seal and added the ribbing? Then it would be easy. Just get a seal from the 'bay which fits you and I provide the ribbing.

But I'm afraid it won't be that easy :(

and

I know the bib needs the be modified, like shortened. TM said it also needs to be shredded. I think There needs to be a pie shaped part cut out left and right of the shoulders.

Let us discuss and and discover the next unknown piece of armor history!

I'm soexcited!

Thanks,

Karin

Edited by Sonnenschein

it would be intresting seeing the ribs on the stunt origanals lets see if we can find some pics and real close ups :)

Okay, I did some research.

Without investing in some expensive machinery, these can't be really made seamless. A smooth is possible, but not a ribbed one

I'd have to make it flat, and then glue together. There is some special latex glue, which fuses the ends together. I hope this is acceptable.

Now, I'd like to know the opinions from you, guys.

-) What do you think about the shape? it it cylindrical, tapeered or hour glass shaped? I guess tapered, as Eric (Darth Aloha) says that you cut the ribs to fit your size.

-) Who many ribs do you see?

-) are the ribs round or half round? I think half round. What do you think the diameter is?

Thanks!

12 ribs sounds right.

About the shape, it looks to me like it is just cilindrical and the shape is given by how it is wear. Meaning it can get broader on the middle cause it is where less tension as in the picture of the two guys, looking at the one on the left. Or, looking at the one on the right, it gets broader at the top cause he has it opened because of the head.

DOes this makes sense???

Me, personally, would like it a bit loose, but not too much or the helmet wont fit right.

;)

Saludos

• 2 weeks later...

I started making my own master "ribs" out of bondo and aluminium pipe, and also some black latex "fabric" of the smooth part. Looks promising.

So far I've spend about 100 $ for reasearch, materials and for trial and error, mostly for error, lol.

With that pace, I'll have the first prototype ready in 3 weeks.

Karin

im curious about this. how would you get them on...pull em over the head?

Also would a ltex neck seal be super hot to wear? Not tryin to be negative, just curious as i may be interested in one when they are finished.

im curious about this. how would you get them on...pull em over the head?

Also would a ltex neck seal be super hot to wear? Not tryin to be negative, just curious as i may be interested in one when they are finished.

You are right, just pull it over your head.

If you wear a balaclava ubnderneath, it acts as lining and will help with the sweat.

Didn't find your comment negative, Lou.

There are sure other options suitable for troopin', but this would be for the accuracy nuts.

Oh, they will be a lot cheaper than hand sewn ones, because there's way less work involved. I don't plan on making much money on it. This is just a "love child".

I'm even thinking about "kits" where you just cut to your size and glue yourself.

The glue used is the same as in a bike repair kit. Just like fixing a tire tube. Same material.

Please, your commments and questions comming

I'm really looking forward to seeing your first prototype.

I think you should stick with the original plan of making a super accurate 'pull over your head' type first and then maybe do any other types. There are no accurate replica latex neck seals available and it's one thing that maybe gets shunned because it doesn't seem wearer friendly. I would be happy to own one of these and I think it is a vital piece of the costume if you are going for screen accuracy!

Yeah!!

I dont mind it being too hot.

I could at least try it on one troop and then decide if I keep it for display/super canon events or wear it on a daily basis to work LOL!!

I mean, I was told that rubber gloves was a no go for trooping in hot Mexico. But since I got them like 1 and a half year ago, I only use my rubber gloves. Accuracy guy over here!

:D

I am really excited and looking forward to this!

Saludoa

You are right, just pull it over your head.

If you wear a balaclava ubnderneath, it acts as lining and will help with the sweat.

Didn't find your comment negative, Lou.

There are sure other options suitable for troopin', but this would be for the accuracy nuts.

Oh, they will be a lot cheaper than hand sewn ones, because there's way less work involved. I don't plan on making much money on it. This is just a "love child".

I'm even thinking about "kits" where you just cut to your size and glue yourself.

The glue used is the same as in a bike repair kit. Just like fixing a tire tube. Same material.

Please, your commments and questions comming

Cool...theres a good chance id be interested in one...or 2.. Looking forward to what you create! Thanks for the reply Karin!

Yeah!!

I dont mind it being too hot.

I could at least try it on one troop and then decide if I keep it for display/super canon events or wear it on a daily basis to work LOL!!

I mean, I was told that rubber gloves was a no go for trooping in hot Mexico. But since I got them like 1 and a half year ago, I only use my rubber gloves. Accuracy guy over here!

:D

I am really excited and looking forward to this!

Saludoa

hehe i know what ya mean! I love my rubber gloves on my Sandy..with Karin's handplates of course hehe. I may need another pair actually for my ANH TK

i think im going to start wearing cotton gloves underneath them though...sometimes they are hard to get off after trooping a few hours!

I'm really looking forward to seeing your first prototype.

I think you should stick with the original plan of making a super accurate 'pull over your head' type first and then maybe do any other types. There are no accurate replica latex neck seals available and it's one thing that maybe gets shunned because it doesn't seem wearer friendly. I would be happy to own one of these and I think it is a vital piece of the costume if you are going for screen accuracy!

Thanks for your encouragement Paul - as always. You and your works are a true inspiration for me!

Yes, it will be the "pull over the head type" - but without investing thousends of euros I can't make it a one-piece. I have to glue the parts together. The a special adhesive for latex and you can make the seams invivible. I studied several latex clothing sites (with some pics I'd rather wish to unsee)

Like the hand guards, this will be a long development for absolut screen accuracy. My goal for the first "generation" is the accurate look outside with authentic materials - but with a not so accurate technique.

Remmeber 2 years ago when painted latex hand guards were labelled "not wearer friendly"?tongue.gif

oh just for your interest why I cant do this at home, here a the production techniques commonly used

1) Warm dipping: The heated concrete or plater mold is dipped (by a machine) several times into a container filled with latex.

This could be done by hand, but for a mold of that size I'd guesstimate about 50 liters of latex in the container. Way over €1000.-

2) roto casting. expensive machines, which don't fit into my kitchen. Besides, the mold would way over 20 kilograms.

Imagine turning that weight in all axes for an hour by hand.

Another method I looked into was brushing the latex ONTO a mold. Really labor intensive and the results were not really satisfying.

See? I tried to do my homework :)

If one of the pro prop makers out there have another idea, please let me know!

oh, Lou and Juan, thanks for your compliments!

I wonder if there is some kind of black latex (or similar rubber) that can be brushed into a mould and reinforced with lycra?

Can you not make a bowl shaped negative plaster mould and pour latex into it - leave it for a while - then pour out the contents to leave a skin?

Just thinking out loud here. I haven't really looked into making these, but that's how I would think it would be done :unsure: