Latex stunt neck seals research and build thread

Thanks Paul! I appreciate your input, as always!

Of course, I'd prefer the pull on type. Those other options are really for those who want them.

As I said before, there's no way I could pull off a seamless one-piece seal* (without shelling out hundreds of monies and/or putting countless worktime on every finished piece)**

But I doubt the orginals were seamless. Remember that obvious seam in the Tantive hall? Mybest guess is (what ever they used) there was some cutting (bib) and glueing involved.

And of course it's for the HC troopers! .. But on the other hand, 4 years ago, only HC guys wanted flexible hand guards ;)

*(One way is to dunk a heavy plaster mold in big tank full of liquid latex serveral times. The other way is to hand brush the latex onto a big, heave latex moldand on the same time using a hair dryer to dry the latex. Takes several hrs for 3-4 layer per seal. NOT very cost reductive)

**(There is the distict possibiliy that I'll be able to make silicone one-piece in the not-so-far-away future. But it all depends one certain factors like demand etc)

***( Thanks everyone who read my mental diarrhea so far! ;) )

By the way the texture of your sample reminded me of the texture I saw in a screen grab of Han's neck seal. :)

HansNeckSeal.png

Good luck with continued efforts and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Thanks!

Indeed! It does look almost like the hero texture.

But for the stunt ones, the texture will be removed, it will be slick and glossy ;)

Some of you are wondering, which there's such slow progress.

As I said in another thread:

When it comes to prop replicating/ costuming, 3 adjectives apply:

Fast

accurate

cheap

You can only have 2, but not all 3

e.g.

If you want it fast and accurate, it won't be cheap

If you want it cheap and accurate, be prepared to wait some time

if you want it fast and cheap, it won't be accurate

See?

For those who are new: The current version of my hand guards took about 3 years to develop!

But I had a lot of help and input from the members here.

So you're going to cast them as a flat circle and cut out the middle for the neck opening? I'm just guessing here. :)

that was about the plan....5 minutes ago! :) But that would have been cheating and the result would have been reduced accuracy

My visit to the latex clothing factory was helpful, but a little terrifying (because of the size and the machines).

I now know how to turn into a smaller "scale".

It will be a one piece again. Stretchy, but not "choky", which will "fit most"

It it works out, it will be easy to make (for me) and highly affordable.

I will proceed to my the next (wearable) prototype they way I planned, just to get the the dimensions right.

What if you would make a mastermould like a pillar put the rubber on this mould and heat or vacform it?

Would this possible?

Sorry, I can't follow you.

I'm pretty much clear about how to make the mold, I'm thinking of reducing costs at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Steve!

It's no secret that I terribly suck with sculpting; I can't even make a clay ashtray. This is all trial and error for me.

So I made me (yet) another tool, to get those ribs right. (I tried about 8 different methods so far)

Sorry, for the blurry pic, but I hope you'll "get the picture".

IT's still free hand, but I think I've "nailed it"

p1010875v.jpg

I obvioulsy need a guide to make them straight;

I'm scuplting the "bib" next.

Edited by Sonnenschein

Loving this thread. The last unknown!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Not really. We still don't know the make of underwear and what brand of cigarrettes the bridge trooper had hidden in his crotch... ;)

Edited by Sonnenschein

Not really. We still don't know the make of underwear and what brand of cigarrettes the bridge trooper had hidden in his crotch... ;)

You might not ;)