Bumpy Cap N back not screen accurate?!

Hi Paul,

I know that there some bumps as i have looked at many photos and was able to pinpoint some bumps and dents that show up in the same places on the cap and faceplate...but is it real promounced on the si-man helmet? from the photos i have seen so far the surface looks " somewhat" smooth.

would you agree then that the paint accentuates the bumps a lot or is more of a side effect than anything else.

i guess si-man may have eliminated the bumps while casting his helmet...memory fuzzy on this one though...

just curious...

Edited by LittleOne

...but is it real promounced on the si-man helmet? from the photos i have seen so far the surface looks " somewhat" smooth.

Like I said, I had to hold SiMan's helmet up to the light to see the bumps because it does look quite smooth.

There is quite a distinctive pattern above the brow as seen here on Gino's V2 that I wanted to see on SiMan's helmet, and it was there very faintly.

fil_ginov2_standard.jpg

Interesting...

Brendan, you started this topic with a comparison of an ATA with SiMan helmets. This is crazy if you ask me (or anyone I guess). ATA is a third generation Bucket (good but "affordable"), the SiMan "kit" is a second and the real bucket is a screen used prop. No wonder the traps and bumps and all are different.

Also, as stated, there was no real quality standard in SW production props. It was more of lets make this look good enough the fastest we can. So different props and costumes will look different no matter what.

And finally, it has been said here that the TE or whatever second and third generation helmet moulds were taken from the inside of a screen used helmet, therefore the bumps... but then, claimed that the bumps are actually from bad paintjobs... Something not matching there. Paint is on the outside, moulds on the inside... :S

Looks to me that you are trying to set a rule or dis other makers or moulds based just on the pictures you saw at the LSD... But man, I have seen some high res pictures of some screen used buckets whose bumps looks exactly like my Gino V2. So...

What I am saying is that, you can't set a rule of thumb for what is and what is not accurate based on the pictures or even discussions on one single helmet. Much less on the reproduction of that helmet.

There are many different screen used buckets with different degree of bumpyness, paintjobs, detaling and pull. Same for replicas and kits.

This is all in with the best intention... Don't mean to start a war here. Just wanted to point out what I see...

As Paul TM wrote in some other thread, if you copy a fan made prop, you will end up with a copy of a fan made copy. So I say we should base our examples and discussion about real screen used props, on real screen used props. Not on its replicas and copies.

Saludos

Juan

well my main reasoning was that as paul showed us above the helmet on gino's v2 is bumpy in the front...

example

but if you check this page, i see nowhere near as much bumps on the front of the helmets as the gino pic above....not the weird looking scratches, the bumps mind you...

now that leaves us with the question: if the helmet is bumpy on the inside, should it not have been cast on the outside instead?

and no Gino i am not attacking you. id rather everyone get along but at some point this debate will have to be settled now a lot of people think that the si-man helmet is the new benchmark to go by so if all the other cap and back are wrong and they are in many ways then everyone is gonna lose their business per say... Gino, ATA and everyone else in between i dont mention...

peace

and no i am not trying to establish a new order as myself supreme emperor of the new galactic empire...

Edited by LittleOne

Troopermaster makes a great point here, as does mason.

I think that the HDPE helmets probably had a smoother finish in ANH, than they did in ESB.

then you have the factor of age and paint, and the storage elements produce even more

bumps, and paint chipping.

and the fact that the helmets were re-painted at least 2 times up until ESB was filmed.

in some shots you can clearly see that ears are put on wrong, helmets assembled with

different shapes to the brow height, and different types of eye cutouts...

all sorts of subtle differences.

paul is right about the noticable bump pattern, and that's the result of the mould buck.

I don't think the new SiMan helmet will be the new benchmark to go by. Every ANH helmet looks slightly different for one reason or another, and each has their own unique look. The original SiMan helmet will look slightly different sat next to the Brian R. and the Dave M due to how ther were assembled, tightness of the pull and the trimming. But each and every one should have the same pattern texture to some degree.

The texture I was looking for on SiMan's helmet was the funny looking sctratch lines, not so much the big bumps. I can't say I saw the big bumps, but the fine lines were definately there.

I've noticed that all original helmets show these finer lines, it's the bumps that seem to change. The ESB 'patch' helmet is the most bumpy of all the helmets I have seen, and I don't have a definate answer as to why it is so bumpy on that particular helmet. One thing is for sure though, they do seem to vary, so I would not say one particular helmet is 'THE' helmet all others should be judged by.

I "think" that the variences in bumps in all the ANH and ESB helmets revovles around heat either on the bucks or the plastic getting too hot. I have not tried using HDPE but I hear its a huge pain and has a very small window of good opportunity. Once they changed the bucks and switched to ABS (Han and Luke Hero's) for the helmets those bumps were no more.

Edited by TK-4510

what would be the ultimate icing on the cake would be to see the real original molds used for the movie.

but saying that no helmet is definitive , i respectfully disagree with Paul, a lot of people as read on the rpf seem to want to jump on the si-man helmet as they have been led to believe that they have reached the promised land on this one.

I wanted a replica ANH Helmet with the ripples and the bumps and i certenly got this with V3 Gino , just added some paint runs to get the look of the origanals , cant wait till Paul TM provides the bumpy helmet sorry mate dont mean to push you , but man TM Bumpy now that would be somthing B) .

Pic below of the V3 bumps and ripples , its like that all round the back and the sides of the lid and some on the front .

DSCF4917-1.jpg