Questions for Brian Muir, anyone?

pandatrooper

Hi everyone. I am collaborating with Brian Muir on a Q and A for the June Fisd newsletter.

If you have any questions in regards to the design, sculpting and development of the Stormtrooper, please post them below. I will select 6 questions for Brian, other questions will be held and selected from for future use. I may group questions together based on subject matter.

Thanks! Terry

Hi everyone. I am collaborating with Brian Muir on a Q and A for the June Fisd newsletter.

If you have any questions in regards to the design, sculpting and development of the Stormtrooper, please post them below. I will select 6 questions for Brian, other questions will be held and selected from for future use. I may group questions together based on subject matter.

Thanks! Terry

Not sure if this has been answered already but how did the thumb print on the bicep come about (obviously made by a thumb! lol) but was it left on intentionally or just not noticed?

Also did Liz Moore sculpt the ears? I always suspected that AA had created these...? As until formed pieces were made, it might not have been obvious that something was needed to bridge the gap between cap and face.

Joe

What found objects did they use to make the button strip on the thermal detonator control panel? Preferably the original design (ANH style). And how did they get the end cap walls so thin?

J

Edited by TK 4702

what can you say about the recent court case, and the past court case between Andrew Ainsworth and lucasfilm limited?

how do you feel about the concepts raised?

How close is the final product to your original vision, and if you had it to do all over again would you do anything differently? (I am asking primarily about the TK suit, but if you want to elaborate on your other SW work, that's cool too ;) )

Also, when are you coming back to Florida!?! :D

Edited by ajax407

Your work has become iconic and I don't believe you have any originals. Do you have any interest in owning or displaying the replicas that are available? Have you ever considered resculpting the armor or any other Star Wars item for yourself?

Forget where this pic came from but I think it is what was used...

That was for the ROTJ canister though. I'm going for the ANH design. Thank you though! :)

Edited by TK 4702

• 1 month later...

Anyone who has tried to make vac form armour bucks knows it's really hard getting eventual 360 shapes to line up left and right when cut out and joined to form a tube.

How did you manage to get the clam shell sculpts bang on and able to line up so successfully?

Had you had experience making vac form bucks before and how many times did you attempt to get them to line up correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who has tried to make vac form armour bucks knows it's really hard getting eventual 360 shapes to line up left and right when cut out and joined to form a tube.

How did you manage to get the clam shell sculpts bang on and able to line up so successfully?

Had you had experience making vac form bucks before and how many times did you attempt to get them to line up correctly.

The armour was sculpted onto a body cast as a complete suit, not in pieces, so the clam shell parts automatically line up.

Brian didn't make the vac form bucks. He did all the sculpting and the plasterers made the bucks AFAIK.

And as a follow-up to John's question that Paul answered,

---------------------------------------

Brian, the ANH (and ESB) suits prominently show what we have come to call a "cover strip" down the fronts and backs of the thighs and greaves, used to cover the clamshelled seams. This same strip is present on the forearms and biceps. Was this detail something that was intentionally sculpted-in, or was it more of a after-the-fact necessity in order to properly assemble the armor?