Jes Gistang - research thread

Nice!

It's seems so "narrow", but I'm guessing that's the last two pics, and the lack of ears, which I'm guessing will still be added separately? Cannot wait for the end result!!

:smiley-sw013::peace::smiley-sw013:

- Berbs

Nice work KW! From what i know with my AP helmet... it IS wide on my head. :) I have plenty of room.

Usually only children can get my bucket on their heads. I still have to turn my bucket sideways to get it on,

but it is roomy for my noggin.

Isn't the helmet missing the vents that go in the center back?  In the legacy comics all the stormtroopers have an extra vent right in the back center, as well as in the concept art for them in Star Wars Legacy issue #0

Also in the legacy comics, the stormtroopers don't have standard ribbed vocoders, they have very differet style.

You can see an example of this in the concept art of the legacy trooper where you can see the different vocoder and the back vent on the bucket.  You can also clearly see the difference in vocoders in many panels of the legacy series that match up with the concept art below.  If anything it seems like the statue being used as the model for this project is very wrong as it's missing these details that pop up in much of the artwork in the comic.  Course statue is also suspect carrying a DLT-19 when that is never seen being used any issue of the series or in the RPG background resource book for the era either.

LegacyEra05-Page12.gif

Edited by PanzerKraken

KW has made Jes Gistang's armor and helmet not Joker Squads and not the legacy stormtrooper. 

Show me these vents on Jes's Helmet please. 

Edited by TK6682

KW has made Jes Gistang's armor and helmet not Joker Squads and not the legacy stormtrooper. 

Show me these vents on Jes's Helmet please. 

That doesn't make any sense.  Jes Gistang is part of Joker squad and a legacy stormtrooper.  We are ignoring everything from the series shes actually in and basing the whole design off a single statue?  Heck even the action figure for her is different so why isn't the armor/helmet design based on the action figure?  I'm sorry but this is a really odd situation where we are ignoring uniform standards repeated throughout volumes of a comic series and basing the costume solely on a statue?  Throughout the series we see the legacy era troopers with these different helmets, but we are to assume that Jes is different from every other trooper.  We have legacy era troopes with many references of having the vents and unique vocoders in the actual series as well as the RPG reference book, but we don't see this ONE trooper with that helmet from that angle so we assume a statue is correct?  The action figure has her with a standard TK bucket, so why isn't that seen as proof and that statue is being taken as the true source?  Gentle giant has often taken many liberties with their statue details and designs.

There are also a lot of reference in the Legacy Comics, where the other Joker Squad members, is shown without the vent and with "normal" TK Vocoder.

The concept art reference is also seen many times being repeated, the intent is obviously there that the design is supposed to be different.  Different artist interpretations have shown variances, it happens, but shouldn't the intent of the armor be based on the actual design concept?  A concept which is shown repeated many times throughout the series.  The vent in back is seen in tons of panels, the vocoder design is highly inconsistent that is true, but in many panels you can't even see the vocoder as the artist didn't bother to draw many details.  Also in comics you often have colorers who come in and erase details through the coloring process.  In the WOTC Legacy sourcebook, the Legacy era troopers in all images of them in the book are shown with the unique vocoder and helmet back vent detail.

We have images with proof of extra details, but because of other artists decided not to bother to be as detailed, the costume standards should also just ignore the details?

Edited by PanzerKraken

Here are some pictures of the first test pull of the Fem Trooper face plate... I put a video up on my Facebook: KW Designs.

2014-08-26173000_zpse9d1f45f.jpg.240d5f616279ee0b1d782cae7e772c9b.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

That doesn't make any sense.  Jes Gistang is part of Joker squad and a legacy stormtrooper.  We are ignoring everything from the series shes actually in and basing the whole design off a single statue?  Heck even the action figure for her is different so why isn't the armor/helmet design based on the action figure?  I'm sorry but this is a really odd situation where we are ignoring uniform standards repeated throughout volumes of a comic series and basing the costume solely on a statue?  Throughout the series we see the legacy era troopers with these different helmets, but we are to assume that Jes is different from every other trooper.  We have legacy era troopes with many references of having the vents and unique vocoders in the actual series as well as the RPG reference book, but we don't see this ONE trooper with that helmet from that angle so we assume a statue is correct?  The action figure has her with a standard TK bucket, so why isn't that seen as proof and that statue is being taken as the true source?  Gentle giant has often taken many liberties with their statue details and designs.

The concept art reference is also seen many times being repeated, the intent is obviously there that the design is supposed to be different.  Different artist interpretations have shown variances, it happens, but shouldn't the intent of the armor be based on the actual design concept?  A concept which is shown repeated many times throughout the series.  The vent in back is seen in tons of panels, the vocoder design is highly inconsistent that is true, but in many panels you can't even see the vocoder as the artist didn't bother to draw many details.  Also in comics you often have colorers who come in and erase details through the coloring process.  In the WOTC Legacy sourcebook, the Legacy era troopers in all images of them in the book are shown with the unique vocoder and helmet back vent detail.

We have images with proof of extra details, but because of other artists decided not to bother to be as detailed, the costume standards should also just ignore the details?

Not going to argue. If you don't get it by now, you wont. 

Not going to argue. If you don't get it by now, you wont. 

I get you have a vested interest in this costume, that's all I see.  I see a costume being essentially tossed up quick and dirty for approval with what appears conflicting research/info.  A costume that folks want 501st approved whose sole source of detail is based off a single statue source, while there is conflicting data elsewhere?  That seems highly irregular.

It's often brought up how costume details in art is hard to follow because of inconsistencies yet same applies to statues, toys, etc.  In the past there has been CRL conflicts brought on by following details used from sources like an action figure or statue.  A gentle giant statue is being taken as gospel here yet they are known for being highly inaccurate?  Their statue artists details often take big liberties in costume modeling.

Edited by PanzerKraken

I get you have a vested interest in this costume, that's all I see.  I see a costume being essentially tossed up quick and dirty for approval with what appears conflicting research/info.  A costume that folks want 501st approved whose sole source of detail is based off a single statue source, while there is conflicting data elsewhere?  That seems highly irregular.

It's often brought up how costume details in art is hard to follow because of inconsistencies yet same applies to statues, toys, etc.  In the past there has been CRL conflicts brought on by following details used from sources like an action figure or statue.  A gentle giant statue is being taken as gospel here yet they are known for being highly inaccurate?  Their statue artists details often take big liberties in costume modeling.

You have noticed, that this thread, is in fact, a 17 page long research thread, right??

This thread  and its research started in 2011. 

No one is throwing away any reference material. 

Here you go! ALL reference comic book material for Jes Gistang.

In this comic she was introduced and killed.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/30/2014 at 9:31 AM, Arnie_DK said:

You have noticed, that this thread, is in fact, a 17 page long research thread, right??

Yup and didn't see it come up which I found strange, when in other discussions on legacy troopers it has.  But Jes is a special case?  Sorry but found it odd.  17 pages and not a whole lot of discussion on actual costume details, when this is a research thread.  I'm sorry that I'm giving some discussion and opinion that is not popular, but I was just participating in the research discussion too.  But we can't do that no more?

On 8/30/2014 at 11:03 AM, TK6682 said:

This thread  and its research started in 2011. 

No one is throwing away any reference material. 

Here you go! ALL reference comic book material for Jes Gistang.

In this comic she was introduced and killed.

Well for one the other troopers that appear in the exact same issue that Jes appears in, do show they have the back central vent.  We do not see Jes back, but find it quite odd that we are too assume that since we don't see the back of her helmet, and we pages by the same artist of other legacy era troopers to have the back vents, we assume that Jes' bucket would not have it?  So we don't see Jes back vent, and some are drawn without it, but then we do see other details like a completely different frown and different tear design, which conflict with the actual statue.

GG is inaccurate based on their product history?  They are not known for their product quality, other statues they have produced have taken many liberties with established canon source in design.  The Hasbro action figure has a different bucket for Jes, so whose to say it's not more accurate if we are going to pick one?  Both figures seem to have been left up to artist.  I also find the statue suspect when it comes equipped with a DLT-19, a weapon from over 125 years in the past before the character, it's never seen once in the legacy era comics, and it's nowhere in the legacy era sourcebooks.  Even comes with an alternate head for the character featuring a hairstyle never seen, so that again is some artist liberties being taken here, which again puts doubt on the whole mindset of the statue's design.

As a face character Jes I think is alot easier to do since we don't have to worry about helmet detail.  But is an entire fem trooper (non Jes face characters) crl and costume be approved with such conflicting data?  I probably should be clear that my main concern is the whole femtrooper becoming a crl, and not really Jes helmet itself for that character if its being treated as a face character since a bucket becomes more of an accessory at that point.  But for standard femtrooper builds we are to assume all femtroopers are different from other legacy troopers?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Not arguing with you man. It is apparent you don't want female troopers in your legion.

Have a good one.

I should mind my own business as the thread was too complicated and I got board.

When it comes to seeing girls suited up as femtroopers I don't think anything else matters except how cool seeing cool chicks in armor.

Well... back on topic...

I heard there is a problem approving the Jes Gistang armor, because of the details on the back plate, as they should not look like the clone back plate, but the one in the comic.

--------

But I believe this is easily fixed, by simply cutting the Squares and circle in a sheet of plastic, sticking it on top of another sheet of plastic and inserting it in the armor, like with Kev's Clonetroopers.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I'm finally done.... I am satisfied with the assembly of the Fem Trooper helmet. All parts Vac-formed nicely and fit together well.

2014-09-01151606_zps0508bb5c.jpg.ce99c5a77d00c5d79b759da1cc672686.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

On 9/1/2014 at 11:11 AM, TK6682 said:

Not arguing with you man. It is apparent you don't want female troopers in your legion.

Have a good one.

Yea I've never said anything of the sort, my issue is with the accuracy of the legacy era buckets which is quite different in multiple sources, but the statue is being taken as the definitive source?

From other thread it was said that the 501st uses comic book art references for approval, and is causing an issue with a descrepency with the GG statue.  So this would apply to the helmet detail on the GG statue as well when it comes to Femtroopers, since KW's bucket is based directly off the statue and not comic book source or any of the artwork.

On 9/2/2014 at 12:16 AM, Arnie_DK said:

And speaking of the Vocoder on the helmet...

--------

From panel to panel and from issue to issue, the helmet details change in the legacy series, which I know is problematic.  In the exact same issue by same artist, you have troopers who have back central vents on their buckets, and in other panels there is none.  Vocoders also change here and there.  Many panels have the vocoders as seen in the issue #0 concept images, while others have helmets which appear to just be standard OT TK buckets.

What is done in such a situation though?  From various sources the buckets are supposed to be different, but because of comic book inconsistency do we say either is acceptable?  Like the above mentioned backplate issue, in various panels the backplate details of legacy troopers change.

From the same issue Jes appears in we see a different bucket with the different Vocoder ---------

Also the cover of the issue of Joker squad on it, the trooper son it have the legacy style vocoders on them.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Nice... I'd personally like to avoid painting, if possible - maybe that's another 3rd level requirement?  

It looks like if I can cut nice straight lines, the overlap method should look pretty nice.

Ran into an issue with the thighs.  It seems like the point at the top is going to really restrict her movement.  Maybe my wife just has long shins and short thighs... not sure what's going on here.

How much of a return is needed on the thighs?