Jes Gistang - research thread

I have posted the "Kev's Fem Trooper Armor kit" for sale thread here...

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28141-kevs-fem-trooper-armor-kit/

Please continue to post your questions on the build and progress pics of your assembly on this thread.

Thanks

Kevin W.

I have a question on the build. For the thighs, should a garter be used? And if so, use a belt with it or have the straps connect to the cod/ab area? My thought was to do this with a belt, but wanted to see what your thoughts are

I have a question too.

I'm in the middle of the initial rough trimming, and I'm unsure about the shins. I have identified something that look like it should be trimmed off, but as I said, I'm not sure.
I have marked the lines I have doubt about, with a pencil.

Front to the left(found two potential cut lines) and back to the right right.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

It is VERY IMPORTANT to sand the areas that you are going to glue for the best bond.

Cut the inner front shim like shown. This will be glued to the front inside.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/2/2014 at 2:59 AM, neoakaj said:

I have a question on the build. For the thighs, should a garter be used? And if so, use a belt with it or have the straps connect to the cod/ab area? My thought was to do this with a belt, but wanted to see what your thoughts are

I did have these two snaps glued in yet when I took the pic but these are to hold the thighs up.

Femtorsostrapsandsnaps_zpsb8babd02.jpg.d3d66ec9601259d07dbd940e3750855e.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Ahh. So if I understand this correctly, I should cut the red line I marked and glue the shim on the inside of the Shin? :)
----------
Somehow I thought that shim belonged on the outside of the shin, but yeah. This makes sence :)

Thanks Kev :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Feel Free! Based on the old thread and the standard TK CRL:

Neck Seal

For 501st approval:

Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to the top of the Adam's apple. 

Shoulder Straps

For 501st approval:

These shall be securely mounted in front and may free float in back. They may be affixed with rivets, Velcro, or adhesive. 

For level two certification (if applicable):

No visible rivets are allowed.

For level three certification (if applicable): 

These shall free float in back.

These shall be glued in front.

The plastic shoulder straps need to be held down in the back via velcro that connects/bridges the chest and back piece.

Shoulder Bells

For 501st approval:

One on each shoulder. The shoulder bells are considered effectively symmetrical; they may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders and should have a black elastic strap that wraps around the inside of the bicep. 

Biceps

For 501st approval:

Biceps are fully closed. 

Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Forearms

For 501st approval:

Forearms are fully closed. 

Minimum return edge on the inside of the front of the forearm is allowed.

Forearms must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Hand Plates

For 501st approval:

Roughly pentagonal in shape, the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove. As an alternative to plastic, these may be made out of latex or latex-like material. 

Gloves

For 501st approval:

Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured. 

For level three certification (if applicable):!

Chest

For 501st approval:

Chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate. 

Chest and back shall be connected with a white or black fabric or preferably elastic strap at the shoulders.

Back

For 501st approval:

Back plate must contain geometric pattern very similar to “Clone Trooper†back details.

Back plate shall overlap the kidney armor.

Under Suit

For 501st approval:

Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos/designs. 

Abdomen Armor

For 501st approval:

The abdomen armor has a indented button area that 10 indentations that are vertical and parallel to each other on both sides of the center square detailing.

Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor.

A single visible seam line is present.

Two rivets, approximately 5/16"(8mm) diameter, are present on the left side of the abdomen armor.

Note: The original rivets used for the TK armor were bifurcated rivets or split rivets.

Rivets are equally spaced along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge.

The heads are rounded or domed.

Note: Paperclip brads are not considered to have a domed head.

Two male snap on the top right corner and bottom right corner of the ab plate is present.

A single split rivet or brad is present on the lower tab of the abdomen armor.

Rivet does not need to be functional.

Abdomen armor buttons are integrated and indented directly on the armor.

No separate buttons are allowed.

Kidney Armor

For 501st approval:

A separate kidney plate is present, split from the posterior armor. 

Kidney armor shall contain the thermal detonator

Posterior Armor

For 501st approval:

A separate butt plate is required, split from the kidney plate. 

Belt

For 501st approval:

Belt shall be made of plastic 

There shall be eleven (6 front, 5 back) symmetrical plastic boxes attached vertically to the belt.

There shall be two larger ammo boxes attached to the sides of the belt agh the lateral most portion of the thorax.

There are no drop boxes

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

Shall be attached to the kidney armor (not belt) 1 inch above the top of the belt and include grey tube with white end caps and control panel detailing along the center.

The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.

The thermal detonator is attached without visible attachments.

Thigh Armor

For 501st approval:

Thigh armor shall be closed in the back.

The knee straps should be installed on the bottom of the thighs. 

Knee strap detailing should cover the attachment point for the knee armor strap.

Knee Armor

For 501st approval:

Must be hexagonal in shape with built in straps connecting to the thigh with no visible rivets using elastic or canvas strap.

Thigh Armor

For 501st approval:

Thigh armor shall be closed in the back with strain vertical seams.

The knees shall be connected with 1 inch white elastic and secured without visible rivets or snaps.

Thighs are constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method.

Overlap construction is not allowed.

Lower Leg Armor

For 501st approval:

Greaves close in the back across the seam that lines up with the thigh seam via velcro or snaps

Overlap construction is not allowed.

Boots

For 501st approval:

Boots are above ankle height and made of white leather or leather-like material.

Thick sole with lifted heel.

No buckles or laces.

Jodhpur/ Chelsea-type boots or an equivalent style is acceptable.

Elvis or Mariachi boots are not allowed. 

There shall be no seam on the front of the boot.

There shall be a raised strip down the front of the boot.

There shall be a raised strip surrounding the heel of the boot.

Well, I believe the sky trooper was done without an official CRL and the first Sky trooper became, more or less, the standard for its new CRL.

So yes. In theory armor that do not have a CRL, can be approved, if there is sufficient material to prove it belongs in the SW universe.

Exactly how new armor is approved on Legion level, I am not entirely sure. Just that it can be done.

I have submitted Stacey's (TK-6683) photos to our GML and LMO for official 501st approval awaiting a response. I will keep you all posted.

I have submitted Stacey's (TK-6683) photos to our GML and LMO for official 501st approval awaiting a response. I will keep you all posted.

Awaiting excitedly :D

I give you many likes :jc_doublethumbup::duim::jc_doublethumbup::duim::jc_doublethumbup:  ... :peace:

I know you sent pics of my boots, I hope good news too  :)

Here is the submitted GG statue shot of Stacey (TK-6683)

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I figure Kev's forthcoming bucket would suffice for a Level 3 "Centurion" certification, but perhaps any TK bucket would work for the Level 1 basic approval?

- Berbs

I would hope to allow a standard tk helmet sculpt for basic approval. But if we were to allow, would we require a esb only or would a anh be good enough?

I like the changes in the crl above but I see a few things that need to be removed or changed. I'll write up the changes tonight or tomorrow and see what everyone thinks.

I feel the regular TK helmet should NOT be used with this Fem Trooper armor at all. (Beside the scaling is way off and a basic TK helmet would look like a bobble head) There is just too many differences in this look from any Movie TKs. A helmet should also NOT be required for this Character at all. Jes Gistang is a "Face Character" and is seen many times with out a helmet.

But I will be making the correct helmets because there has been enough request for this stylized helmet. This helmet if written in the CRLs should only be listed as an option.

So IMO, not having a helmet at this point should not effect the approval of this character.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns
  • Like 1

This will be interesting.

In Nordic Garrison, we have a strict, no buckets off rule, wich I generally like, because you dont really see troopers take of their helmets.

But I started a debate on our boards regarding the Legacy face characters and it seems like they dont accept it, without a helmet, as Jes Gistang and the other LTK's may be face characters, but they are still stormtroopers and should wear a helmet at all times.

I would like to see the LTK's wear helmets, when "on duty" on parades and patrols, but otherwise, I think theese characters, especially Gistang, shouldnt wear a helmet, when in the Photostand or just hanging around, since that is how people know this character.

But lets see what the future CRL will say about this. If the helmet becomes optional, there really isnt much they can do to stop people from trooping Gistang without it. Unless they want to go against the CRL.

• Like 1